Sooners' Mike Stoops hopes to see rule addressed (linemen downfield on passes)

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
But when we mention it, we're whiners.....right...

Oklahoma defensive coordinator Mike Stoops is not at a loss for words but he is looking for answers, sounding off against the rule that allows offensive linemen to block three yards downfield even when the ball is thrown.

Several teams have done a great job of putting defenses in lose-lose situations by utilizing the rule with creative schemes used by multiple offensive systems from “Air Raid” offenses to run-based spread attacks. He never referenced any team specifically but Stoops clearly remains frustrated with how to defend teams that use run-pass plays that include offensive linemen past the line of scrimmage after OU’s 31-30 loss to Kansas State, a team that has used the rule to create chaos for opposing defenses during the past few years.

“The linemen running down the field and trying to throw a pass when they’re five yards down the field, to me is ridiculous,” Stoops said on Tuesday evening. “Football has gotten to where it is stupid, letting guys run [running] plays then throw the ball. I’m just not a big fan of it -- it’s lenient and all of a sudden it’s three, four, five yards.

“Once you get to a certain point it’s not even fair.”
Link here

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
For once, I agree with him. I think Danielson said it a few weeks ago during one of the CBS games but, he thinks the rule needs to be eliminated, go back to old rule were they can't be down-field at all on a pass play. Danielson said that he thinks to many HUNH zone-read offenses are using it as a why to trick defenses into selling out for the run and then throwing it. I agreed with him as well.

It's just another example of how these types of offense are only successful by getting the refs to ignore the rules.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
That play killed us against the barn last year. To me if you allow the offense to do that, then on those type plays their should be no roughing the QB.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
This is the same crap that Saban was getting roasted over, I hope much more attention is called to this so we don't have to watch this basketball on grass arena football crap and get back to real smash mouth football. If they go back to the old "lineman downfield" rule it will pretty much eliminate the spread offense as we know it. Kudos to Stoops for bringing it up again.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I believe so.
I think it actually was to allow the OL to fully run block on play action passes down the field. In fact, when I played in the '70's it was 3 yds, but if you stayed in contact with the DL it was "infinite". If we lost contact with the DL we were taught to drop to a knee.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I believe we have a couple of times.

Wasn't the 3-5 yard rule intended for screen plays where the ball is thrown behind the los?
No, if the ball is completed behind the line of scrimmage, never crosse the neutral zone, there is no ineligible receiver downfield. The rule changes were actually put in place for option offenses.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I believe we have a couple of times.

Wasn't the 3-5 yard rule intended for screen plays where the ball is thrown behind the los?
True. If the pass is thrown behind the LOS, the rule doesn't apply, hence all the speculation on the FSU/ND game that the pass called to be thrown behind the line...

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Unless it has changed the rules are the same on a punt. Pay attention to rugby style punters and watch where the interior linemen are when he finally punts if you want to see some gross violations of the rules.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.