Texas to pay all scholarship athletes $10K

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Between this & the new play-offs this year, this ain't the college football we've all grown to love so much, and the principles that made it the best sport on the planet has definitely changed..College football just doesn't have the same feel to it, as it did a couple years ago, I can't fathom what college football will look like in 5yrs from now..I don't think we're going to like the end results of all these changes..That's JMHO & should others disagree..I can respect that..College football is a changing & I don't think for the good either..

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree Tide Man and the changes are going to continue at warp speed. The whole point to all of this IMO, outside the $ factor, is to completely separate the haves from the have nots. When this happens and we have a 16 team playoff and OOC schedule grows in importance then teams like Troy State, Ga State, FAU and Western Carolina can forget the big pay days. We will be playing Wake Forest or Illinois or Wazzou for homecoming. It will certainly lose its appeal to me.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Between this & the new play-offs this year, this ain't the college football we've all grown to love so much, and the principles that made it the best sport on the planet has definitely changed..College football just doesn't have the same feel to it, as it did a couple years ago, I can't fathim what college football will look like in 5yrs from now..I don't think we're going to like the end results of all these changes..That's JMHO & others disagree..I can respect that..College football is a changing & I don't think for the good either..
i agree for the most part, but you have to admit, that was a pretty old-school woodshed we took texas a and m behind last week ;)

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006
If this gets to out of hand I will not watch it. Maybe just Bama ball, depending on where this all goes in college football. I used to be a die hard NFL fan. I have watched 5 NFL games in the last 3 seasons due to all the changes and people involved. Money drives all this stuff I know, but I don't have to watch if I don't like it. Then that will hit the pocket books sooner or later. I would hope.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..I agree 100% ya..Will this cause the big schools to finally break free from the smaller schools that lives off the $$$$ the bigger & better schools brings in..Vandy for example..
I agree Tide Man and the changes are going to continue at warp speed. The whole point to all of this IMO, outside the $ factor, is to completely separate the haves from the have nots. When this happens and we have a 16 team playoff and OOC schedule grows in importance then teams like Troy State, Ga State, FAU and Western Carolina can forget the big pay days. We will be playing Wake Forest or Illinois or Wazzou for homecoming. It will certainly lose its appeal to me.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Seems to me that it may become mandatory to pay athletes, Texas is just announcing that it would be for all scholar-shipped athletes. The article clearly said 'could' , not 'would'
.WASHINGTON — The University of Texas could spend nearly $6 million a year to comply with a string of recent legal rulings requiring colleges to be more generous to their scholarship athletes.
Really nothing new ,everyone knew the other lawsuits coupled with the O'Bannon case would force some type of financial compensation. I just wonder if theses schools honor the new 4 year scholarships if the athletes will also be compensated. I think making players employes is the beginning of the end.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Yup..I agree 100% ya..Will this cause the big schools to finally break free from the smaller schools that lives off the $$$$ the bigger & better schools brings in..Vandy for example..
Yup, could easily see Vandy, Baylor, TCU, Duke, BC, Ga Tech, Wake Forest, Louisville, Purdue, Northwestern, Rutgers, Utah, Colorado & Cal all booted out of the power 5 conferences. That would leave 50 teams plus ND in the top division of football.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Seems to me that it may become mandatory to pay athletes, Texas is just announcing that it would be for all scholar-shipped athletes. The article clearly said 'could' , not 'would'

Really nothing new ,everyone knew the other lawsuits coupled with the O'Bannon case would force some type of financial compensation. I just wonder if theses schools honor the new 4 year scholarships if the athletes will also be compensated. I think making players employes is the beginning of the end.
Give it up. It was pointed out back on page one that he was misquoted and he claims he never said anything of the sort. Everyone's having too much fun with the misquote at this point...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yup, could easily see Vandy, Baylor, TCU, Duke, BC, Ga Tech, Wake Forest, Louisville, Purdue, Northwestern, Rutgers, Utah, Colorado & Cal all booted out of the power 5 conferences. That would leave 50 teams plus ND in the top division of football.
I don't think so. Some schools can and will do more if allowed to do so - certainly some will if forced to do so. Other schools will be able to do less, or choose to do less. They don't see themselves as legitimate national championship contenders now, but they still have decent fan bases and will still want to put a good product on the field. Tradition will protect some of these schools, and the ability to fill out a full schedule will protect the rest.

What we will lose is parity at the small school level. It will become much harder for a smaller school to work its way into the "big leagues" as the best athletes will almost all go to schools that offer extended benefits.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.