Texas to pay all scholarship athletes $10K

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It will be interesting to see how quickly other schools announce their plans. I'd imagine most schools will have to match in order to not lose kids on signing day. IMO the real winners will be athletes in sports that have to split scholarships amongst players such as baseball.
There are probably less than 20 schools in the country that can follow this lead (Bama is one of them). Smart move by Texas.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
There are probably less than 20 schools in the country that can follow this lead (Bama is one of them). Smart move by Texas.
CA, that number may even be less than 20... According to a USA Today report only 15 schools (Texas, BAMA, Mich, OSU, Florida, OU, LSU, Oregon, Arky, aTm, Kansas, FSU, Washington, Mizzou Army) profited more than $6MM in 2012-13. Another report shows the number to be 10 (Previously mentioned schools less Arky, FSU, Wash, Mizzou & Army.)

Most of the schools in the power 5 conferences have wealthy alumni who can easily bankroll paying the players but, it could take out some of the smaller schools such as TCU, Baylor, Vandy, Wake Forrest, etc. Wouldn't be suprised at all if this leads to a group of 32-40 schools forming a new level of "top" college football over the next decade.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Will this lead to smaller rosters, demand for better performance, greater competition for playing time? If this is just the start, how long before college sports are merely minor league pro?

While I would be in favor of some of the changes this could bring I can see many more problems.

**Ah, now I see your post RTR91. That's good.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
Some folks will probably be getting a pay cut.
Winner of this thread. :biggrin2:

From the article:

Patterson said UT won’t have problems paying the extra $6 million to its players. That money will break down to about $10,000 for each player. The money will cover college expenses that aren’t covered by a traditional full scholarship and give each player $5,000 in compensation for the university’s use of his image.
This probably means that we will actually be able to purchase jerseys for active players.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
No. The basketball and football programs at Texas pay for all the other sports..
you missed the point. scholarship athletes are already an accomplished sub-set of "everyone" who are already being given a "trophy" (which they earned btw). if giving every scholarship athlete an additional $10k is "giving a trophy to everyone" then giving an athletic scholarship to those same folks in the first place is "giving a trophy to everyone"

this is not to say this is a good or bad idea.

i personally think that a full ride is plenty, but understand (somewhat) where this is coming from.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.