Lane Kiffin's mother 'scared to death' for son's safety

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
That's a great point of security for both our Players & Coaching Staff when a team upsets Bama with a win & their fans go freaking nut rushing the fiels..I'm not sure as to be what can be done about that when it happens..When 70-90,000 hyped of fanatics rushing the field like that..I don't literally see what can be done about it..Cause the fines couldn't care less bout any fines they cause their school, only thing I can think of, is to build some sort of fan restraints around the football field & I have no idea if that's even possible..

You can always have the coaching staff in the press box, but, I know damn well no coach with a dang, would never their Players on the field without them being on the sidelines..To answer your question..I have no idea..Cause when close to a 100,000 crazed fanatics wants to rush the field..There's not much that can be done about..When you think about, as often as it's happened, I kinda surprised there hasn't been a really bad incident involved when it's happened in the past..
I don't have an exact answer but start with extra security that surround the field, plenty of cameras and the consequence of major sanctions and fines that will greatly affect the offending program.
Years ago someone got killed when they pulled the goal post down and it seemed to calm things down for a while. Same goes for basketball too. Somebody needs to get in front of this before there is a severe consequence.

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
i had a friend offer me a ticket to the ut - chattanooga game a couple of weeks ago. i had never been, and had always wanted to see all of the sec stadiums in person, so i took them up on it. the one thing that really stuck out to me was that at EVERY entrance to the sections in the stadium, there were officers. almost all had 2 stationed, but every now and then there was only one. it really surprised me, considering it was only chattanooga, but also made me feel a little better consider the sheer amount of people in attendance. didn't think much more about it until i saw this thread. if they put that much effort into security for that game.... i have no question that they take security very seriously.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
If we didn't kill Phat Phil when he came the Bama as HC, during our NCAA Sanction Years, he had a lot to do with & almost shut our Football Program down..I think Coach Kiffin will be fine..If there ever was going to be violence in our rivalry& any coaches in physical danger..That's when it would've happened..And Coach Saban has been bact to LSWho many times as our HC & their hate for him is worse than the hate the vols has for Kiffin..He'll be fine & he better be on the sideline & not mess with our routine that's worked pretty dadgum good this season with Kiffin on the sideline to help Blake make the right audibles & calm him down during games..
I am concerned for CLK safety Saturday. But, you do have a point about CNS going back to LSU. Those corndogs are crazier than just about any fan base. I know I am stereotyping, but there is a reason that LSU fans are banned from posting here.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
They should pick a deserving charity...and use a classic dunk tank...

Have a setup where there are two former Tennessee head coaches (Fulmer & Kiffin) used as the one who gets dunked...people can pay to throw balls at either target, when the target gets a hit, the coach on the seat gets dropped into a tank of water.

Let the fans of both schools put their money where their hate is...see which one would generate the most money as a target. :)

The only flaw I can see to this idea is that Fulmer is likely too cowardly to do it, plus there might not be a tank big enough for him.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I agree with Sip. Most parents are always concerned for their son or daughter's safety without age limits, and even when there is nothing to be concerned about. Bad form to go to the mom. What is she going to say?

As for any real danger, I guess there is always a few idiots who will try to get a cheer for doing something stupid.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I wouldn't be so sure about that and I live in East Tennessee. I had several people that I work with state after we hired Kiffin that he would be attacked when we come to Knoxville.

These folks blame him for the current state of their program not Fulmer. They really hate him.
Kiffin to Tennessee is as Franchione to Alabama.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I don't think anything will happen to CLK but I'm certainly concerned. I imagine almost all Bama fans living in Tennessee feel the same way because the hate here is palpable. Not only did he bail on their beloved Vols and destroy their program, but now he's joined the enemy and they think their Vols have no chance in this game because of "Shame Kiffin". Illogical, yes, but we're dealing with UT fans here. When Coach Saban went back to LSU, the Tigers still had a good team, in fact they had a really good team. The Vols have not been a threat for years and their hope of getting out of the cellar was "the traitor, Lane Kiffin".

Some people take their football too seriously in all fan bases. I don't think anyone will try to kill Coach Kiffin, but I bet some things do get thrown at him when he comes out of the tunnel.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I am not too worried if we have the same Alabama State Troopers on the sideline. I would keep an eye out for Lulu and Junior. However, I believe Coach Kiffin has the speed to out run them.

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
Would never happen, but Tenn fans should just erupt with cheers for CLK. Could you imagine? It'd be the best bet at getting in his head to create any affect on him (for as much as a fan can).

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
There will be extra security on the field during the game and throughout the stadium. CLK and CNS will be okay. I think after the game, depending on the score, we might see CLK leave the sideline little early before the game to avoid the fans. Definitely look for extra state troopers on the sideline. I don't know why Kiffin's mom did the interview for the story... she had to know that they were going to air this....

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
God forbid, and I don`t really think it will, but if things really were to get out of hand, does anyone think we`d pull the team off the field?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't think Coach Saban will do that, especially when we're in middle of college playoff... If things get real bad, they would call both teams to the locker room and probably clear out some of the stadium and then come back and play the game... I really don't think things will get that bad, because TEnnessee is not that dumb enough to pull something like that knowing SEC/ NCAA could drop hammer on the school and can affect the recuits at the game. I don't think they wanted to be known as the school who scared away the recuits, big money and other important people.
In a situation like that, I really don`t know.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
A tad off subject, but the NCAA and respective leagues really need to look at placing very hard fines and even sanctions to stop the rushing of the field after the game. I'm sure most of you saw the video after the Ole Miss game of the dude trying to get close to Coach and how the officers locked their arms around him to rush off the field.
They're too many nuts in this world and it is not safe for the players or coaches, and a petty $50,000 fine isn't going to stop a thing.
This IMO is where one day something very bad is going to happen and it needs to be stopped.
To those that say it's okay or a tradition, then allow the players, coaches, etc. time to get off the field and then let the nuts do whatever.
I agree with you.

The $50,000 fine is ludicrous. The fine needs to big enough to keep fans off the field. Your game ticket, as a fan, is to watch the game from the stands and the seat you are assigned to. There are several exits from the stands after a game. The playing field is not an exit!

I think a $1,000,000 to $10,000,000 fine would help make the home team think about fans on the field after a game. A Bowl or Playoff ban could also help! In addition to that, you have to repair the field and replace goal posts.

All it's going to take is someone getting hurt when 50,000 to 100,000 fans show up on the field.

The ONLY places that do it are schools with teams that are not normally successful or have a ton of sociology majors: Ole Miss, the Barn, etc.

Have Alabama fans ever stormed the field after beating the Barn or any other team? If they have I've NEVER seen it, heard about it, or read about it.

Open up the concessions to sell beer and lets see what happens! There are already enough inebriated fans in the stands without selling beer at concessions. Those drunk fans get that way by drinking something stronger than beer or have been drinking beer all day prior to the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.