Question about Tennessee Defense

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I won't touch the subject on offense at all, because we all know the stories behind it. The OL, the inconsistent of the passing games, and the turnovers issues.

Tennessee defense ranks No. 19 overall in total defense, and No. 8 in opposing third down conversion percent and No. 29 in scoring defense.
They're also no. 16 in points per possession, ranking first in SEC East.

There has been pleasant surprises at various positions on defense. AJ Johnson, Jalen-Reeves-Maybin, Derek Barnett, Cameron Sutton, Brian Randolph Ladarrell McKneil and Todd Kelly jr.

The defense is giving up 166.3 in passing and 159 in rushing yards. By the way, Tennessee's SOS is ranked 5th out of 128 in the nation.

So here are my following questions based on this information provided.

1. On the Volslaw offense, what are the game plans that we should consider against Tennessee given the issues with their OL and their passing game? Will we blitz more than usual? From the edges, up front, or combination of both?

2. What are we expecting out of Tennessee offense at this point in the season? It seems to me that their passing games is based on slow developing routes that usually results in deep passes at times. Am I right?

3. Will our goal for this game to force turnovers and actually catch the balls for once on defense ? :) I am predicting four turnovers, two ints and two forced fumbles.

4. We know the defense has improved a lot this year, so what will Coach Kiffin will do to create mismatch for the defense? I don't think Tennessee has any clues to what we'll do because we can change our game plans each week and there's no telling what we'll do ever since we came out of the Texas A and M a different team. I would expect them to put Sutton on Cooper. I would expect Randolph and Maybin to have long nights with our WRs and TEs, and then having to deal with Henry and Yeldon. I don't think this team can afford to put a safety on the top of Cooper, because I don't think it is strong enough on their own to hold against the Alabama's running game. Look for Sims, Stewart, Black, White, and Jones to get few looks in the game. Cooper should easily have 100 yards, but it'll be a fight early in the game. So in all, I would expect Kiffin to start off the game with a deep ball to White, Howard or Cooper. ( I pray Howard actually catch the ball this time.)

5. Will the team's chemistry change with Kelly back in the lineup this week? If the offense stalls for a series or two early in the game, will Bozeman enter in the game? ( Unlikely, but could happen)

6. No question here, but rather a comment: We need to pay attention to the sideline during the game for Offense and Defense, how Kiffin and Smart are communicating to the players on the field during the game. I'm hoping that all issues we had with away games will be finally fixed and we should play better this weekend. This is not the same team we saw that played in the last four team. This is a different team, and I think they found their identify and they are going with it. They need to win this game by double digits to show the world that we got this.

7. Will Kiffin bring his wife to the game? :)

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Butch is in a tough spot. My guess is that they will press Cooper with a safety over the top. Mississippi was successful at it. So was Arkansas, though I'm not sure how much other factors, like the rain/wind, Cooper's health, and our O-line, helped the Piggies in that game. But A&M didn't do it that way and Amari got back in his groove. So I'd be surprised if they didn't try that, at least at first. As you correctly point out, though, the weakness in their defense is right up the middle. I think they'll try to force us to run it on them and try to use their talented linebackers to keep us to short runs and try to make us drive the field 2-4 yards at a time, like Mississippi did, and hope for a little bit of luck (fumbles, holding calls, missed FG attempts, etc.)

Outside of running downs, I think they'll do their best to use their relatively talented ends to keep Blake in the pocket and make him prove he can beat them by throwing decent length passes to receivers other than #9. A risky strategy, I agree, but not sure you really have much of a choice. They'll also hope that we really aren't a good road team and that will help, too.

I'd be very worried if I was them about their defense just getting worn down to nothing by the 4th quarter. They played Mississippi well in the first half, but clearly became fatigued as the offense kept sending them back out there. Our offense is better than Mississippi's, which would keep me up at night if I was on their side.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I would be shocked if they don't play AC tight at the LOS. Only the poorly coached teams have allowed us to throw numerous bubble screens out to AC all game by playing their CBs 10 yards off the LOS. That's fine though. AC can still make plays being double teamed plus we have a plethora of playmakers on offense..

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Our TE's should have a field day catching the ball!
Not disagreeing with you, but this has been said for several games and we have yet to see it consistantly. Hope it come through in this game. In reality, doesn't matter who or what position is making plays, plays just need to be made. I hate orange!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Here's how each offense that Tennessee has played ranks nationally in total yards per game:
Utah State: 97 points allowed by ut: 7
Arky State: 27 points allowed by ut: 19
Oklahoma: 35 points allowed by ut: 34
Georgia: 47 points allowed by ut: 35
Florida: 98 points allowed by ut: 10
Chattanooga: FCS 93 points allowed by ut: 10
Ole Miss: 49 points allowed by ut: 34

Now, Bama: 16

IOW, I'll believe their defense is the real deal if they really slow Bama down. Bama's offense is - by far - the best they've seen to date.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm suprised to see Ole Miss ranked #49. Now, If bama is #16, that tells me they have no clue how much of a shock they'll get from Bama game.
Here's how each offense that Tennessee has played ranks nationally in total yards per game:
Utah State: 97
Arky State: 27
Oklahoma: 35
Georgia: 47
Florida: 98
Chattanooga: FCS 93
Ole Miss: 49

IOW, I'll believe their defense is the real deal if they really slow Bama down. Bama's offense is - by far - the best they've seen to date.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Utah State: 97
Arky State: 27
Oklahoma: 35
Georgia: 47
Florida: 98
Chattanooga: FCS 93
Ole Miss: 49

With the possible, if not probable, exception of Ole Miss, I think you could say the same about our D as well. And I`m not convinced our D, at least starting with the last game and a half, isn`t close to comparable with Ole Miss

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
With the possible, if not probable, exception of Ole Miss, I think you could say the same about our D as well. And I`m not convinced our D, at least starting with the last game and a half, isn`t close to comparable with Ole Miss
Bama's defense has faced:

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We've faced far more potent offenses (WVU and A&M) than UT has.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Yes. I think we are by far the best offense Tennessee has faced so far. We are also, at worst, one of the top two defenses Tennessee has faced. The 0 that our defense posted against A&M has got people's attention. So is the injury/suspension-reduced performance against what is proving to be a pretty competent WVU squad. Another problem for Tennessee is that their quarterback and their offensive line was healthier at the start of the Mississippi game than it will be Saturday.

The wild card in this game is Alabama's relatively poor performance on the road the last two outings, especially on offense. I hope we have turned that corner, but we won't know till Saturday night.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Your thread title wasa question about Tennessee defense, but first question was about offense. I will offer this that worries me a little. Worley May or May not be banged up. If he is, that may change their gameplan. They may be a totally different team. His backup is Dobbs, a running QB. Bama has yet to play a running QB, Bo isn't a real running QB. Doesn't have the quickness. we know the difficulties that gave us when playing LSU and Jefferson after preparing for Lee a few years ago. . couple that with our road difficulties and I am not sure this game is a slam dunk like some think. Hope I am wrong , cause we need a blowout on the road.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Your thread title wasa question about Tennessee defense, but first question was about offense. I will offer this that worries me a little. Worley May or May not be banged up. If he is, that may change their gameplan. They may be a totally different team. His backup is Dobbs, a running QB. Bama has yet to play a running QB, Bo isn't a real running QB. Doesn't have the quickness. we know the difficulties that gave us when playing LSU and Jefferson after preparing for Lee a few years ago. . couple that with our road difficulties and I am not sure this game is a slam dunk like some think. Hope I am wrong , cause we need a blowout on the road.
Only if our defense had the luxury of practicing against a running QB.

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
Just read a thread on VolNation (yeah, I know, I need a shower) that said of 16 trips by opposing teams into UT's red zone, they have scored 100% of the time. I hope we don't break their record.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Only if our defense had the luxury of practicing against a running QB.
Yeah you are right, I mean since we see Blake in practice everyday. Live action and all. that will surely prepare us for anything, even if we don't game plan for it. What was I thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk yuuyyyy

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Another question: Did anyone see the Nick Saban radio show tonight on al.com where he talked about the following:
- Saban on why Lance Thompson was back on the sidelines: Said it was important to have him there for substitutions against no-huddle offenses. There are groups within groups and that makes it difficult for defensive coordinator Kirby Smart to distinguish at a fast pace. "I said, we need to bring a coach out of a press box to be able to do that," Saban said. "I think it worked out well in that game."

That caught me off guard a little. I didn't notice that at all, but that would explain why defense was playing so well this past weekend.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.