News Article: Best shot at Playoff for 1 Loss Team

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
From radio sports programs to sports articles there seems to be more people pushing the idea that the selection committee should only consider conference champions in the four team national championship playoff. Somehow the idea of having the top four teams in the playoff has morphed into having the highest ranked conference champions. Supposedly, it is unfair to have two teams from the same conference. Of course, they are referring to the SEC. However, next year they will change their tune if the Big 10 or the Pac-12 have two teams ranked in the top four. The selection committee is not going to do away with controversy. No selection process is perfect, but the BCS was the best.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
First off, I liked the BCS. I thought it was about as close as you could get to "getting it right".
Counter point, The four team playoff has definitely already generated a ton of fan anticipation and discussion, which is good for football in general. True.
But I don't like "Committees". They tend to take perfection and screw it up.
I'll just say this.
Everybody say's the polls don't matter anymore. I disagree.
The one thing the committee doesn't want to be is so far in disagreement with the coaches poll, and the writers poll, and the BCS computer ratings, and ratings services, that they look like complete idiots.
They want this four team system to work, and it can't, if they look stupid.
So, yes, the polls still matter.
sip
I agree with what you are saying. Funny thing though...I have heard it said on sports TV and radio more times than I can remember..."If the committee selects the same teams as the polls have...then they are not doing their jobs". Think about that. What if the polls are in agreement 1 through 4 at the end of the year. Is the committee to change it up just to say they didn't duplicate?
I really think that if the committee is way off the Coach's and AP polls there is a serious problem. I too wish the BCS formula was doing the work but we will all have to get over that I guess. But at the end of the day if they do not select the 4 best college football teams in the country, it will be an epic failure and will severely damage the game in the long run.
Let me add this...If they select anyone outside the Coach's and AP consensus top 5 or 6 it is a joke.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Right now I see the committee doing the following in it's 1st ranking:

#1 - FSU (if they don't lose. Here's hoping they do lose to Louisville or Florida. That could save Muschamp's job. Maybe Florida can do to FSU what Missouri did to Florida. Sometimes, stuff just happens!)
#2 - Ole Miss or Mittittippi Tate (Hopefully, we will take care of Mittittippi Tate!)
#3 - Mittittippi Tate or Ole Miss
#4 - Notre Dame (Hopefully they will lose to USCw or someone. The committee is going to look at how close that game was with FSU!)
#5 - Oregon (Hopefully, they will lose another one! They do not deserve to be ranked above Alabama)
#6 - Michigan State (if they beat tOSU and win the the B1G 10 +4 they just may be in.)
#7 - Gawga (What if they win the SECCG? Hopefully, they won't)
#8 - the Barn (Here's hoping we take care of this little problem! Remember the 2013 field goal that didn't happen on the Plains of West Gawga! It's just as bad as "Remember the Alamo!"
#9 - Alabama Crimson Tide. (If we win out we deserve to be in it!) I just don't think they can justify putting us any lower! In reality, I don't know how they will justify our being this low. Our only loss was to a much HIGHER ranked team than Oregon's loss! So, I disagree with the ESPN tOSU talking HEAD!)
#10 - Baylor (Their loss was to West Virginia! We beat West Virginia!)
#11 - TCU (Their loss was to Baylor.)
#12 - Arizona or another PAC 12 team. Here's hoping they get beat again.
#13 - tOSU (Their loss to VT is going to hurt even if they beat MSU and win the B1G.) I believe the Committee could rank them higher just BECAUSE!

After this weekend, I'll take another look at what I think they will do. So, I do think their ranking will be different from the Polls.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
THERE WILL NOT BE 2 SEC TEAMS IN THE PLAYOFF!!!!

I don't know why some of you still think this will happen. This whole playoff committee was started for this very reason. If I am wrong I will fully accept a Barner avatar as punishment (2 weeks).

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Right now I see the committee doing the following in it's 1st ranking:

#1 - FSU (if they don't lose. Here's hoping they do lose to Louisville or Florida. That could save Muschamp's job. Maybe Florida can do to FSU what Missouri did to Florida. Sometimes, stuff just happens!)
#2 - Ole Miss or Mittittippi Tate (Hopefully, we will take care of Mittittippi Tate!)
#3 - Mittittippi Tate or Ole Miss
#4 - Notre Dame (Hopefully they will lose to USCw or someone. The committee is going to look at how close that game was with FSU!)
#5 - Oregon (Hopefully, they will lose another one! They do not deserve to be ranked above Alabama)
#6 - Michigan State (if they beat tOSU and win the the B1G 10 +4 they just may be in.)
#7 - Gawga (What if they win the SECCG? Hopefully, they won't)
#8 - the Barn (Here's hoping we take care of this little problem! Remember the 2013 field goal that didn't happen on the Plains of West Gawga! It's just as bad as "Remember the Alamo!"
#9 - Alabama Crimson Tide. (If we win out we deserve to be in it!) I just don't think they can justify putting us any lower! In reality, I don't know how they will justify our being this low. Our only loss was to a much HIGHER ranked team than Oregon's loss! So, I disagree with the ESPN tOSU talking HEAD!)
#10 - Baylor (Their loss was to West Virginia! We beat West Virginia!)
#11 - TCU (Their loss was to Baylor.)
#12 - Arizona or another PAC 12 team. Here's hoping they get beat again.
#13 - tOSU (Their loss to VT is going to hurt even if they beat MSU and win the B1G.) I believe the Committee could rank them higher just BECAUSE!

After this weekend, I'll take another look at what I think they will do. So, I do think their ranking will be different from the Polls.
There is NO WAY Bama will be that low. They will be in the 4-5 range. For the committee to suggest there are 8 teams better than Bama is a joke

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
There is NO WAY Bama will be that low. They will be in the 4-5 range. For the committee to suggest there are 8 teams better than Bama is a joke

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree but I think having The Committee is also a JOKE!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.