News Article: Best shot at Playoff for 1 Loss Team

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...st-shot-at-claiming-a-playoff-spot/ar-BBaJIFh

From MSN Sports:

The Iron Bowl could feature two one-loss foes. Alabama still has to face two ranked teams (LSU and Mississippi State) before it faces Auburn, as does Auburn (Ole Miss and Georgia).
If both the Crimson Tide and Tigers -- who are currently ranked fourth and fifth in the country, respectively -- make it to the Egg Bowl as one-loss teams, that would mean everyone in the SEC would have a blemish. Both rivalry game would carry so much weight toward determining which team would play in the SEC title game. Brush up on tiebreaker scenarios.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think they're going a little far, but this would be fair (assuming the right scenario plays out):
"THE PREDICTED COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF
1. Mississippi State
2. Florida State
3. Ole Miss
4. Alabama"

I think if Ole Miss loses and that loss doesn't involve some weird criteria, then Alabama would have the edge over them and pretty much any one loss team. Head to head matters though, but then the committee specifically said injuries do to, so they could go either way with that. However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Miss. State ends up with two losses anyway (to Ole Miss and Alabama). Pretty much all my scenarios involve Ole Miss and FSU going, with Alabama coming in at third.

Last edited:

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
This could be all for naught if Ole Miss or Mississippi State win out between the two of them. I'm not sure about MSU as they were able to still control the game against Auburn despite some of its miscues. Ole Miss' defense looks legit though, and while I would love for LSU to beat them this weekend, I'm just not sure they'll be able to. We'll see.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
I firmly believe that one of the reasons for this committee is due to the 2012 BCS title game between UA and LSU. They do not want this to happen again. While it's entirely possible for two SEC teams (or any conference for that matter) to make it in there is absolutely no way three SEC's get in. I don't care if all the other non-SEC teams had 3 or more losses...they would never put three 1-loss SEC teams in it. And for the record, I would love to see this committee faced with that exact dilemma and then have to justify putting in a 3-loss conference champ over a 1-loss team. Probably will never happen but it would be interesting.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Three of the final four from the SEC ? We all know that ain't happening barring some very unusual circumstances. Can you imagine the whining if we had another all SEC rematch in the ncg ? :)

Bama fans pulling for LSU, Miss.St., and/or Auburn to beat Ole Miss, and perhaps Tenn. to beat Vandy for a tiebreaker. Auburn fans pulling for Bama to beat Miss. St..

Kinda ironic isn't it. :wink:

Last edited:

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado
If both the Crimson Tide and Tigers -- who are currently ranked fourth and fifth in the country, respectively -- make it to the Egg Bowl as one-loss teams....
If Bama and the barn make it to the "Egg bowl" at all, then we've got much, much bigger issues....

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I firmly believe that one of the reasons for this committee is due to the 2012 BCS title game between UA and LSU. They do not want this to happen again.
We all knew knew a playoff was coming because of what happened in 2012, and I was adamantly against it, and against a committee as well. The only thing I got that I wanted was no conference champion requirement and that was just barely.

But, I've long contended that Alabama still gets in, in 2012, just as a three seed. There was no way to move them lower without being silly. The situation is a bit like that now, except Alabama looks to get in as a four seed instead, with the expectation that the committee will dock them one spot just because. I do also agree that they won't put in 3 SEC teams (even if that's what should happen, like Arkansas might have belonged in, in 2012), and that to me is probably why the committee exists as much as anything. To prevent the SEC all but totally excluding other conferences.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If Ohio State and Michigan State have 2 losses, and Oregon has two, and all of the Big 12 have 2.....it's very possible to get three one loss SEC West teams in there

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
If Ohio State and Michigan State have 2 losses, and Oregon has two, and all of the Big 12 have 2.....it's very possible to get three one loss SEC West teams in there
Though unspoken, the true job of this committee is not to pick the best 4 teams, it is to pick the 4 teams that will cause the least amount of uproar.

I remember one of my co-workers was furious that conference champion Oklahoma State (His alma mater) did not make it in the January, 2012 BCSCG over a team that got "second place in its division." Can you imagine the uproar if a team that got third in its division was chosen over several conference champions? I've always said if you want something to come out fair, don't put it in the hands of a committee, particularly when money is involved. If the trend continues, I see two SEC teams and two champions of other conferences (e.g. Oregon, Michigan State, or Florida State). It's really not fair, but that's my feeling about this. We will make it if we win out.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
First off, I liked the BCS. I thought it was about as close as you could get to "getting it right".
Counter point, The four team playoff has definitely already generated a ton of fan anticipation and discussion, which is good for football in general. True.
But I don't like "Committees". They tend to take perfection and screw it up.
I'll just say this.
Everybody say's the polls don't matter anymore. I disagree.
The one thing the committee doesn't want to be is so far in disagreement with the coaches poll, and the writers poll, and the BCS computer ratings, and ratings services, that they look like complete idiots.
They want this four team system to work, and it can't, if they look stupid.
So, yes, the polls still matter.
sip

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I think they're going a little far, but this would be fair (assuming the right scenario plays out):
"THE PREDICTED COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF
1. Mississippi State
2. Florida State
3. Ole Miss
4. Alabama"

I think if Ole Miss loses and that loss doesn't involve some weird criteria, then Alabama would have the edge over them and pretty much any one loss team. Head to head matters though, but then the committee specifically said injuries do to, so they could go either way with that. However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Miss. State ends up with two losses anyway (to Ole Miss and Alabama). Pretty much all my scenarios involve Ole Miss and FSU going, with Alabama coming in at third.
not sure about this one. For MS ST to be 1 seed that means they beat us. No way we get in with 2 losses

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
As of right now, I would say Oregon from a national perspective. They have the best quality win so far. In the sec, I would say the barn at this moment by virtue of their win over k state. That however could change very quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Best shot among the one-loss teams probably actually lies with Oregon. They have one loss and virtually no one with a pulse left on their schedule. Utah may very well be the toughest remaining game. And they'll have a decent win in the Conference Championship, but not decent enough of a team to really threaten them.

Winner of Michigan State and Ohio State is also in good shape.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
First off, I liked the BCS. I thought it was about as close as you could get to "getting it right".
Counter point, The four team playoff has definitely already generated a ton of fan anticipation and discussion, which is good for football in general. True.
But I don't like "Committees". They tend to take perfection and screw it up.
I'll just say this.
Everybody say's the polls don't matter anymore. I disagree.
The one thing the committee doesn't want to be is so far in disagreement with the coaches poll, and the writers poll, and the BCS computer ratings, and ratings services, that they look like complete idiots.
They want this four team system to work, and it can't, if they look stupid.
So, yes, the polls still matter.
sip
I agree...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I agree Sip .... If it was conference champions only we wouldn't need polls or committees. But, such is life!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.