Does Mississippi State impress you?

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
I went back and watched MSU play all their games, they do not impress me. I feel like Dak Prescott is pretty good, but gets away with a lot of throws that are usual interceptions. They don't play that good of defense, they've just been fortunate enough to play the worst batch of QB's the SEC has had in a long time.

They've played Nick Marshall (horrible), Anthony Jennings (beyond horrible), Kenny Hill (overrated product of system). The only teams they've held to single digits were South Alabama and Southern Miss.

I just feel like everyone is really hyping this team up with no real justification. Only quality win is Auburn, and I hate to say it, but Auburn shot themselves in the foot.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think Dak Prescott is for real. Very good runner and thrower as well as tough competitor. I like their two WRs Lewis and the other really big one Wilson I think? I like their RB. Their defense front seven is very good. Their secondary not so much. As the OP said they have feasted on some pretty average or just downright bad QBs. At this point I would favor Bama over MSU by 3 since it's at BDS. If it was at MSU I would favor them by 3. I think Bama has better overall team talent but they are better at the most important position QB..

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
MSU is not going to beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa, and they won't be favored in the game even if they are ranked higher. They are very impressive relative to past MSU teams. Dak Prescott is a baller.

They caught LSU early, a weak A&M, and I'm impressed they beat the Barn. I don't think they will beat Ole Miss. Should be a good game.

That's my 2 cents. You'll need more opinions if you want a cup of coffee.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Everything's relative - sure, they impress me. They are very similar to Auburn, but they're a little bit better at Auburn's game than Auburn is. Ole' Miss impresses me more. If Bama can stay loose, they're better than all three. At this point, I think we win out, and if we can make it to the playoffs, I think we win another NC.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, they impress me. I don't see them losing more than 2 games in the SECw this year. That is impressive.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They're better than their usual selves. That being said, you don't often turn the ball over four times against Auburn and live to tell about it. It will not surprise me if they lose to KY. This is a group that has never felt pressure before. Remember how Oregon, K State, and Okie State (2011) all lost when faced with pressure? And except for Oregon, they lost to some pretty mediocre teams. I suspect they lose before they play us.

But I wouldn't bet on us just yet either. Not only are we erratic but they play us right after we play LSU in Baton Rouge. That hurts us with MSU every time.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Honestly, at this point, if a team has played LSU on the road, Texas A&M, and Auburn, and are still undefeated, they have to be a decent team.

But - if you look at Massey's Computer Index, there are 108 computer rankings. Ole Miss is #1 in over half of them while MSU is only #1 in less than a third of them. In fact, MSU is ranked #10 or lower in three times as many computers as Alabama. So, the computers are divided about MSU - but they are closer to us than they are to Ole Miss. The computers seem pretty convinced that Ole Miss is the best team.

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
I'm not convinced that we are the best team either. Yes we whipped Texas A&M, but they are spiraling out of control right now. I think until we do it in consistent weeks and on the road, I still doubt Blake Sims ability to lead the team, when it is in doubt. He has shown he has the ability to win games, he just hasn't shown that ability to elevate to another level when all else is even on the field.

When games were in doubt, AJ had the unique ability to elevate to another level. Most people call it clutch.

BTW and FYI: I am a huge fan of Blake Sims. I love the fact that he waited his turn and worked hard to get here, doesn't mean he's flawless.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
They have Prescott, big fast receivers, a very good running back, a very good offensive line, a killer front seven on defense, and an improving secondary.
Their only weakness is the kicking game.
They committed five turnovers against Auburn and still blew them away, beat LSU convincingly in Baton Rouge, rolled all over, at the time, sixth ranked A&M.
I don't they will beat us in Tuscaloosa, but, yes, they impress me. A lot.
sip

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
I'm sorry but if you're not impressed by them then who are you impressed by? The qb is for real and they have 2 big and talented wrs. Plus a wrecking ball rb that may not burn you but will get positive yards. The front 7 on the d is very big and can move which makes up for the secondary and that one LB is fast which helps cover the secondary even more. I'm not saying they are world beaters but a solid top 10 team.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
DP is good - so was Tebow. If A&M receivers could catch that ballgame would have been different (not saying MSU would have lost, just that it would have been a lot closer).
I don't think their front 7 is much if any better than ol spit's, and their db's are not.
If DP has to throw 35+ passes against Bama it's game set and match because they have given up more than a few sacks and haven't played a defense like Bama's.
Bama's D >>>>MSU's O
Bama's O (home) >MSU D

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm sorry but if you're not impressed by them then who are you impressed by? The qb is for real and they have 2 big and talented wrs. Plus a wrecking ball rb that may not burn you but will get positive yards. The front 7 on the d is very big and can move which makes up for the secondary and that one LB is fast which helps cover the secondary even more. I'm not saying they are world beaters but a solid top 10 team.
I hope we beat them! I think we'll beat them in our house, Denny-Bryant Stadium. I hope they are still undefeated when they play Bama. I honestly hope Blake Sims has his best game passing and running up to that point. I hope he has an even better game passing and running against the Barn.

However, I think they are a very good team. Dak can throw it and he can run it and run it in for several TD's!
That running back is a bowling ball who can get into the end zone. If I recall correctly their OL is HUGE!

That DL is maybe (arguably) the best in the SEC. Didn't we desperately want Chris Jones to play on the DL for us? I guess he was a momma's boy and didn't want to leave home. I'm not sure about their DB's.

I do know on the OL, that that CENTER is a high stepper and a stomper when it comes to opponents already on the ground.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here's what MSU's defense has faced:

Offense and National RankingYards Per Game AverageYards Against MSU
15. TAMU516526
22. Auburn488441
25. UAB478548
66. LSU415430
70. South Alabama408345
89. Southern Miss379283

Here's what MSU's offense has faced:

Defense and National RankingYards Per Game AverageMSU's Yards
14. LSU319570
24. Auburn334469
56. South Alabama379514
63. UAB395516
83. TAMU423559
114. Southern Miss474550

The only games State's defense didn't hold an offense below its average was against TAMU, UAB, and LSU. Easy explanation for those, too.

UAB had 3 touchdown passes of 75 yards or more.

TAMU entered the 4th quarter down 41-17, causing them to pass more. They had 93 yards passing and 64 yards rushing in the fourth quarter. Of their 559 yards, 157 came in the final 15 minutes.

LSU was down 31-10 entering the fourth quarter (34-10 two plays into the fourth). They, like TAMU, were in comeback mode and had 219 yards in the fourth quarter. Over half of their yards came when Mississippi State was up by multiple scores.

Folks shouldn't be saying they're not a top 10 team. We can beat them, but they should impress everyone.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If they beat us and it's because of Dak, he'll get my Heisman Trophy vote. However, if, if's and buts were candy and nuts then …. well, you know the rest of the story.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yes. I don't remember Mississippi State ever being this good. Jackie Sherrell had some good teams (some of which beat Alabama down a few times) but they were never like this.

They are a fine team that will be in the running for everything in November. Why wouldn't you be impressed with that from Mississippi State?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.