Hello Everyone. First time poster with some questions!

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Long time Crimson Tide fan here living in Texas.

I have a few questions.

My first question is, if we win out, what are the chances that we end up in the 4 team playoff? Lets assume that us and Ole Miss both win out. Ole Miss wins the SECCG. Do we still get into the playoff? That would mean that two SEC teams get in. How likely is that?

Also, how do some of you see Baylor matching up with us? I live in Baylor Bear country LOL and I have a few friends who are Bear fans!

Thanks for answering :)

This forum is great!

RTR!

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
If we were to assume that Ole Miss remains undefeated and wins the SECCG, then they would likely be the only team from the SEC West in the 4 team playoff. Even if another member of the SEC were to get in, which I highly doubt, our own chances of getting in are zero..
I'd be willing to bet that whoever dreamed up this playoff system never dreamed that there would be so many SEC teams in the mix, much less so many from the SEC West.
I'm not a Baylor fan, so I can't answer the second part of your question.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
If we were to assume that Ole Miss remains undefeated and wins the SECCG, then they would likely be the only team from the SEC West in the 4 team playoff. Even if another member of the SEC were to get in, which I highly doubt, our own chances of getting in are zero..
I'd be willing to bet that whoever dreamed up this playoff system never dreamed that there would be so many SEC teams in the mix, much less so many from the SEC West.
I don't agree. If we win out, that means we beat LSU on the road, perhaps the #1 team in the nation (Miss. St. at the time we play them b/c they won't be top-ranked if they lose to Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl) at home and top-10 ranked team (AU) at home. Our only loss would be at Ole Miss (and if they win out - by the end of the year, they'd be No. 1) by less than a TD. I don't see how anybody could keep us out of the four team playoff at that point.

On the other hand, there is a lot of work to be done and a lot of football left to be played. There are way too many "if's" in my hypothesis to take it to the bank.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
If we win out and Mississippi wins the SEC, no other team from the conference gets in before Alabama.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I don't agree. If we win out, that means we beat LSU on the road, perhaps the #1 team in the nation (Miss. St. at the time we play them b/c they won't be top-ranked if they lose to Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl) at home and top-10 ranked team (AU) at home. Our only loss would be at Ole Miss (and if they win out - by the end of the year, they'd be No. 1) by less than a TD. I don't see how anybody could keep us out of the four team playoff at that point.
This is what the system was designed to do (despite the protestations by the committee proponents to the contrary). It is going to take some really weird events for Alabama to make the playoff. Like, "every other conference champion has three losses" kind of weird.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
First, I would say that if we win out our chances of making the playoff would be upwards of a 90% chance. That's primarily because the odds of Ole Miss winning out are quite small. Right now, there are better odds at having a three-way tie at the top of the SEC West than for Ole Miss to go undefeated; if that happens, we most likely end up in Atlanta due to the tiebreaker rules.

Secondly, as for how Baylor matches up against us: not well. We would be able to name our score against them on offense - meaning we would only need to slow them down a little with our defense. And our defense would do a little more than just slow them down. If both teams brought their "A" games, the final score would be something like Bama 52 - Baylor 27.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Agree completely. We are in if we win out, with an AP ranking no lower than #3.
The AP ranking and The Committee Ranking are two different things. I'm just not sure I trust this Committee. Their ranking could be different and with all Power 5 Conferences represented in its top 5. Like #1 FSU, # 2 Ole Miss or Mittittippi Tate, #3 Oregon, #4 or #5 Michigan State, tOSU or Nebraska, #4 or #5 Baylor or TCU or KSU.

That committee would probably need to go on an extended vacation to Russia, China, North Korea, Australia immediately after their decision. Let me pick North Korea for them. That Un guy may put them all in prison just because they are Americans.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Oh! I forgot! Notre Dame just may beat out several of those teams and end up #3 or #4.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.