****Bama vs. UT - Postgame Thread****

TydDFens

1st Team
Feb 5, 2011
Birmingham, AL
My biggest disappointment of the game was Jalston's fumble. I hate that for that kid. He has been such a team player and they finally give him the ball and he dropped it (he did get a first down run tho before the fumble). Hopefully, he will get another chance. He definitely looked good hitting the hole hard and running north south with no hesitation, if he had just held on to the ball. And to clarify my disappointment was for Jalston not at Jalston.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It seems our offense comes out on fire and then fizzles out. I wonder if that's because the first 15-20 plays are scripted and then after that CLK has to call plays based on flow of the game..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Saban told Eli after the game the defense was not able to run the scheme they practiced all week. With the belief Worley was going to play, the defense planned to play 2 safeties high and man coverage. He said they couldn't do that with Dobbs being able to run.
This does make sense, but it doesn't excuse the defense to not being able to make their tackles like they should've. They did adjust to Dobbs in 4th quarter. I think going forward, we won't make the same mistakes against LSU and their quarterback.
It seems our offense comes out on fire and then fizzles out. I wonder if that's because the first 15-20 plays are scripted and then after that CLK has to call plays based on flow of the game..
You want my honest opinion? I really don't think that's it? I think the field condition played a role in this. On top of that, I noticed our receivers and Rbs were having issues slowing down, speeding up and etc... I need to watch the video again to confirm this.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This does make sense, but it doesn't excuse the defense to not being able to make their tackles like they should've. They did adjust to Dobbs in 4th quarter. I think going forward, we won't make the same mistakes against LSU and their quarterback.

You want my honest opinion? I really don't think that's it? I think the field condition played a role in this. On top of that, I noticed our receivers and Rbs were having issues slowing down, speeding up and etc... I need to watch the video again to confirm this.
I'm talking about a season long trend, not necessarily just last night..

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Re: Dobbs. I think our front four focused too much trying to sack him and ran by him several times. This, combined w/missed/poor tackling gave him the yards. For a while our play against "running" QBs has been to have a controlled rush, not going past the QB; contain and tackle when they commit. Seems like we forgot about that agains TN. I'm sure the D line will be reminded of that from now on.

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL
I feel better about the defense having heard Coach Saban explain that they couldn't use the scheme they had planned. Dobbis is a baller.

Also, I don't know if our D has ever faced a QB who doesn't have any eyebrows. :biggrin:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Yeah, several players admitted that Dobbs was unexpected and it took them three quarters to adjust to him. WE were so focused on Peterman/Worley and we didn't think Dobbs was going to play. So, If We had adjusted we would've stopped him. But still, we have experiences of adjusting, so I don't know why it took us so long to adjust to him, We should've figured him out at the half time. But I definitely like Dobbs. I hope they develop him into a good qb, because dude has the talent and the " it" factor to lead the team. Of course, he won't be starting this year.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Hope we can heal up. It was left on the field tonight. Their QB play likely surprised us. That was probably the best first game performance of a QB I have witnessed. Proud our our resiliency despite making mistakes. Hard fought win. Why does everybody play out of their minds against us?
Kevin Sumlin wants a word.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Re: Dobbs. I think our front four focused too much trying to sack him and ran by him several times. This, combined w/missed/poor tackling gave him the yards. For a while our play against "running" QBs has been to have a controlled rush, not going past the QB; contain and tackle when they commit. Seems like we forgot about that agains TN. I'm sure the D line will be reminded of that from now on.
It was like that with Tebow in 08. Then in 2009 the DL and Lbs stayed disciplined. It is all about discipline and maintaining YOUR assignment. It also helps to have a beast mode secondary.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What I still don't understand is why we didn't put some work in on Dobbs, since the word out of K-ville was so discouraging towards Worley playing. Maybe our intel was just bad... :D

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What I still don't understand is why we didn't put some work in on Dobbs, since the word out of K-ville was so discouraging towards Worley playing. Maybe our intel was just bad... :D
Saban told Eli during the pregame show the team planned for Worley to play. He told him after the game the plan was to defend against Worley, which is why Dobbs was able to be effective. Twice he says the team prepared for Worley to start/play. Seems like there wasn't even preparation for Peterman.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I don't see how because I heard twice on public broadcasts that there was a possibility Dobbs' RS for the season would come off if Peterman was ineffective taking JW's place. Heck, Coach Jones even said that!

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
Saban told Eli during the pregame show the team planned for Worley to play. He told him after the game the plan was to defend against Worley, which is why Dobbs was able to be effective. Twice he says the team prepared for Worley to start/play. Seems like there wasn't even preparation for Peterman.
I think Peterman and Worley are similar types of qbs, I may be wrong, but thats what I thought I heard at some point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.