When Coaches Lose a Game: which games come to the forefront of your mind?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I know Les Miles is often cited but his opponent tonight took his spot. Hugh Freeze made simply an awful decision tonight. Kicker may have missed but you gotta give your team a chance.

James Franklin at Penn St. had about the worse calls to end a great comeback as I've seen. It was almost like throwing the ball three straight times like Bama did against A&M in 2012. Just mindblowingly bizarre play calling.

I'm sure the coaches hate it worst of all but I can much more easily accept the losses where players just don't execute or just get beat by the better team, but it's tough when bad coaching decisions take that chance of victory away from them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Ask Nuss. 4 runs from the 6 in 2012 would have gotten us the victory over ATM.

The Dubose screen pass fumble against the Barn comes to mind too.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I guess I'm in the minority, since I don't think it was necessarily a bad call. I lean more toward bad execution.

47yds would have been a career long for their kicker. 3rd and 7 from the 30 with 9 seconds left. Just enough time to run one more play. If someone comes wide open in the EZ it's a win. If someone comes open 10-20yds deep on the flat, that makes the 4th down field goal much more realistic to force OT. Otherwise, throw it out of bounds and attempt the kick. Might as well run a quick 3rd down play and see if you can either score or shorten the kick.

Where coaching failed was in allowing the delay of game penalty that turned a makeable 42yd kick into a very questionable 47yd kick. And where Bad Bro failed was in going off script - when his receivers were covered and he came under pressure, he should have thrown it out of bounds instead of blindly hurling the ball into double coverage.

Freeze after the game:
I thought we were plenty clear we were either going to take the flat throw or throw it out of bounds, and then try the field goal. He must have felt like he had a shot at the touchdown play there. ... I wish I could do that over, for sure.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I guess I'm in the minority, since I don't think it was necessarily a bad call. I lean more toward bad execution.
When you consider that the QB threw to a decoy receiver who was covered - I agree. Freeze made it clear that the QB made a pass that he was not supposed to make in the post game presser. They were only trying to get closer for a shorter FG, not score a TD. That play is on Wallace, not Freeze.

Now, don't get me started on Freeze's decision to throw Wallace under the bus like that after the game. I was disgusted when I heard that he said that.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Now, don't get me started on Freeze's decision to throw Wallace under the bus like that after the game. I was disgusted when I heard that he said that.
Agree. Even if it was on Bo (which it sounds like it was), that's not something the HC should ever throw out there for public consumption. Handle it in the locker room, not in the media room.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Agree. Even if it was on Bo (which it sounds like it was), that's not something the HC should ever throw out there for public consumption. Handle it in the locker room, not in the media room.
It was out there before the locker room. You could see Freeze on the sidelines on that play and the fourth down before that. Bo obviously decided to do something different than what the coach had in mind. I think Freeze just wanted a a quick out to get 10-15 yards for his kicker. Bad Bo bit them late in the game, for the record, I called that too.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
BTW, everything is still in front of Ole Miss. This loss didn't kill their chances. Win out and they are in.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I'm not about to look at a loss by any team and automatically blame the coach for losing the game for them. And although I have seen poorly coached games, imo most losses can be attributed to either loss of discipline or poor execution by the players of the losing team.
It's one thing to teach players how to act or react in certain situations. It's totally different to stand on the sidelines and watch them lose their focus and forget what they've been taught. It's also a lot easier to learn in the classroom or on a practice field than to put that learning into action during an actual game.
So who's to blame for a loss? Everyone involved but no one in particular.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
When you consider that the QB threw to a decoy receiver who was covered - I agree. Freeze made it clear that the QB made a pass that he was not supposed to make in the post game presser. They were only trying to get closer for a shorter FG, not score a TD. That play is on Wallace, not Freeze.

Starting to think Bo and Freeze deserve each other. I haven't seen a player's antics like Bo's last night since Ryan Leaf. Horrible sportmanship. And that's before leaving the game before the last seconds.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
That might depend a lot on whether the selection committee wants to take 2 SEC teams - especially if Ole Miss doesn't win the west due to losing a 3 team tie-breaker.
Ole miss has only one loss, if they win out, they will go to the SECCG.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

He's an excuse maker and it's never his fault. The first thing he brought out in the presser was how many injuries they had.
Note to Hugh--ALL teams have injuries.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.