Interesting Blake Sims statistic

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It's all in the approach --

I have no doubt AJ could have had many more 300+ yard games, but that was back when we were happy to win 17-3 ---

17 pts doesn't guarantee anything in this "new" football -- so our offensive philosophy had to change.....thus records fall.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

I have no doubt AJ could have had many more 300+ yard games, but that was back when we were happy to win 17-3 ---

17 pts doesn't guarantee anything in this "new" football -- so our offensive philosophy had to change.....thus records fall.
True but still a significant stat and says at least as much about Sims as it does about changes in the game. Sims still has a few more games ahead of him.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al

I agree for the most part, but last year was to be the year the offense was supposed to really open it up and we didn't get the production when we needed it (i.e. Auburn and Oklahoma game).

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
A mobile QB keeps drives alive, forces linebackers to not sell out on dropping into passing lanes, and opens up the playbook. I love QB's who can run as long as they can pass efficiently. Sims has been doing just that.

(However I truly despise a running QB who cant throw or makes very stupid mental errors)

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I posted this in Jess's game wrap up thread, but I think it would be interesting to know how many yards Blake has saved by avoiding sacks. I know in the WVU game there were four or five plays where he avoided a sack (where others couldn't have)

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Of all the Sims stats, the best one is 8 - 1. Yes, 9-0 would be better, however, 8-1 in a rebuilding year is pretty danged good.

Wish we had more with his dedication, heart, unselfishness, and, yes, talent.

I like him. :)

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Given what I saw at A Day, this is about as impressive as can be. It's not like Blake came out of high school as a 5-star quarterback. Plus, outside of the stats, we all know how many catchable balls he has had dropped. I could not believe we dropped the screen pass last night. Everybody in the tv picture had on a white uniform when the ball got there.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
This is so impressive to me. Particularly for a player who 1) used to be one of our RB, 2) was for years a back-up QB to the aforementioned McCarron, and 3) was thought by many to end up playing second-fiddle to Coker who was brought specifically to compete with Blake for the starting job.

Sims deserves a lot of credit for his play. Cooper and Kiffin should also be thanked for their roles in the offensive successes.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I posted this in Jess's game wrap up thread, but I think it would be interesting to know how many yards Blake has saved by avoiding sacks. I know in the WVU game there were four or five plays where he avoided a sack (where others couldn't have)
Yep, the "artful dodger"...

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Sims deserves a lot of credit for his play. Cooper and Kiffin should also be thanked for their roles in the offensive successes.
This. But Sims is much more of a threat with his running abilities than our last two QBs.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Yeah he seemingly does that at least 5-6 times every game.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
This is so impressive to me. Particularly for a player who 1) used to be one of our RB, 2) was for years a back-up QB to the aforementioned McCarron, and 3) was thought by many to end up playing second-fiddle to Coker who was brought specifically to compete with Blake for the starting job.
Not only to compete. Some thought Saban got Coker BECAUSE Sims wasn't capable of starting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.