Vols field condition during the game last night

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think it was the cleats we were wearing. UT didn't seem to have the same problem we had and I don't remember chunks of turf coming up so things seemed to be ok on that front.
Well, that is a part of homefield advantage...you have the ability to tailor some one-off cleat configuration for the conditions.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
My guess is they noticed how the wet field affected us in Fayetteville and they wet down the field before the game. There was no rain in the forecast so the Bama equipment men might not have brought the right cleats. If that is the case shame on them for underestimating the depths to which other teams will stoop to get an advantage over us.
Shame on them for not knowing what stunt 10orc would pull to get an advantage over us??? Really?

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Wow, that is really interesting...I have never heard of the "stadium grow lights" before.
I've seen them in use when I did some work with Lambeau field... really cool setup and obviously keep that grass green and alive MUCH longer than it would be otherwise in that climate. Not sure what effect it will have in Knoxville but can't hurt.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Has anyone noticed that our players were slipping all over the field all night long? I think that's why both sides of the team struggled because of the field condition. I don't think it rained last night, so why was the field so soggy and wet? Vols weren't falling down everywhere, but our players were....

hmmm...weren't we playing on the same field? maybe we needed to change out cleats.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I watched the tape last night, and the field wasn't in good condition at all. It looked horrible. That's why I'm okay with the way we played on Saturday, because with new QB and the field condition, I think Saban saw that and eh.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
I was at the game and I heard Eli saying that they brought in growing lamps from the Netherlands. He went on later to say that they need to get their money back. Lol

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Has anyone noticed that our players were slipping all over the field all night long? I think that's why both sides of the team struggled because of the field condition. I don't think it rained last night, so why was the field so soggy and wet? Vols weren't falling down everywhere, but our players were....
Am re-watching the game now, and while I wondered about it on Saturday, I'm definitely seein' it today...

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Penn State wet their field in 1989 to negate our speed. The wet field affected their kicker when he was trying to make the game winning field goal and we won the game.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
If they overseeded their field with rye grass between the previous home game and the Bama game, then the scouts would not have picked up on it. They may have brought in the grow lights to speed up the growth of the new seeds, but that grass would not have deep roots.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
The field was in pitiful shape for this time of year. Lots of Tennessee had set a record for October precipitation before the 15th. The field had obvious dead spots, half the players that got tackled had huge chunks of grass/dirt in their facemasks and even though the rains had been over for several days, you could see water on the field.

We all played in the same "conditions" but I could easily see how we would not have been as prepared as they were for it. I just hope that slop didn't contribute to any of our injuries. I think the "turf" at Oxford definitely did.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Tennessee has had odd field conditions for as long as I remember. I still recall the Astroturf days when they had that ridiculously high crown on the field that made visiting QB's consistently overthrow every pass outside of the hash marks. On the other hand, a field in good condition should not hold water days after the last rain. It sounds like they need to rip out everything down to the drainage system and rebuild the field as soon as their season is over.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.