Vols field condition during the game last night

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Has anyone noticed that our players were slipping all over the field all night long? I think that's why both sides of the team struggled because of the field condition. I don't think it rained last night, so why was the field so soggy and wet? Vols weren't falling down everywhere, but our players were....

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I noticed that it was in poor condition, bald spots and torn up turf. I wondered why too.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think it was the cleats we were wearing. UT didn't seem to have the same problem we had and I don't remember chunks of turf coming up so things seemed to be ok on that front.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Has anyone noticed that our players were slipping all over the field all night long? I think that's why both sides of the team struggled because of the field condition. I don't think it rained last night, so why was the field so soggy and wet? Vols weren't falling down everywhere, but our players were....
Didn't seem to affect UT though. Maybe they knew something we didn't. Yeldon had a wide open cut back lane about mid field and slipped. He seemed to slip more than anyone. Not his best game.

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Go back and watch the first half, we slipping then. I think they may have turn the sprinklers on just a slow run during halftime to slow us down. I may be paranoid but I'm not the only person who saw water sloshing after the half and it was mainly outside the hash marks

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
I was there - the field looked a little loose to me, but I was up on Mt. Everest/one row from the top :p

Maybe our cleats weren't right for that field. TN didn't seem to have an issue.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
Eli was also saying that about 20 yards of the grass had to be replaced and that "strip" is what was giving everyone trouble and that what ever they did just didn't work

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
My guess is they noticed how the wet field affected us in Fayetteville and they wet down the field before the game. There was no rain in the forecast so the Bama equipment men might not have brought the right cleats. If that is the case shame on them for underestimating the depths to which other teams will stoop to get an advantage over us.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Yeah, Eli went into great detail about how they had brought in heat lamps from Europe to try and help the grass grow but it hadn't really taken. It was a terrible field.
I know this might show my nerdy side, but that sounds very interesting. I would have enjoyed hearing how they tried to get that accomplished on such a grand scale.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Whoa, That's real deep and interesting. I'm wondering if SEC is going to get involved? I really do think it affected our performance last night, and if the field was better, I think we would've executed lot better last night. I really think it affected Yeldon, Robinson and others. There was few plays where our players were missing tackles.. and I"m willing to bet that it was the field...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.