The Barn vs. The Rebels: Who you pulling for?

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
For the vast majority on here who think we will win out, why all the angst? If we win out and OM loses to either auburn, Arky or MSU we are in Atlanta. If you truly believe we beat LSU, MSU and auburn then there is nothing to worry about.

This is why I haven't chimed in. I think we win out...and I pick Auburn to win this weekend against a battered ole miss team.

We will get our chance against Auburn.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Maybe Notre Dame will have to join a conference if they get left out and the Big 12 will be forced to have a Championship game again. Even Lou Holtz thinks Notre Dame needs to be in a conference.
I said that knowing the committee has special provisions for ND along with conference champions. To me that is total bull, but you may have something here. Maybe, just maybe, they're enough people on the committee that realize ND is getting an automatic pass for playing 5 teams from the mighty acc. That's less games than F$U is having to battle through.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Conference Champions are a criteria that will come into play if all teams are sitting at one loss. There is no way around it; Conference Champions are playing an extra high quality game.
The specific quote I heard was tie breaker. So, what about the Big 12? They don't play a championship game, so I guess we can set them aside. Notre Dame doesn't play a conference championship either nor can they be champions. That now means we are talking about 4 conference champs. Let's just give FSU an undefeated season, that leaves 3 conference champs. It's entirely possible that there are no one loss conference champs, but we are assuming that the SEC, Pac 12, and Big 10 all have viable candidates.

Let's look at the AP poll.
#5 Oregon. Their SoS is 34 and they have a signature win with Michigan State. They have a legitimate chance of getting in, but the SoS gap is in no way going to be made up by a conference championship game. They are basically the best shot other conferences have though and I think have the best shot after SEC teams.
#8 Michigan State. At this point their signature game is a loss. Their SoS is a dreadful 63 (committee criteria). Promoting them all the way to four, without a lot of losses in front of them would involve flaunting of the publicly announced committee criteria.
#7 Ole Miss/#9 Georgia. Ole Miss has a 7 SoS, and Georgia has a 22 SoS. There's no question if either of those teams win out, they'll have the best resume of the 1 loss conference champions.

The main problem the committee has is positioning. It's not simply wanting to move Alabama down, it's how they position those other teams. If the first poll comes out, and Georgia, Michigan State, Notre Dame, and Oregon are all ahead of Alabama, then we have cause for concern, because of obvious bias. But, if they don't do that, as I've said, they're stuck.

The argument is that the committee might sit on their hands and then vote a straight ballot for conference champions. They won't be able to justify that, not to the other members of the committee, and not to the public. Let's take Michigan State for example, already a soft schedule, they have may be two more ranked teams upcoming and that's counting their championship game. So, the idea is that those two ranked teams will somehow form a more compelling argument than beating 1/4/17, which sounds like a date but is actually the AP ranking of upcoming Alabama opponents.

If you just ignore Alabama's resume, which the committee might do in their first ranking, you can come up with something that says Alabama doesn't deserve in. But, right now Alabama has an SoS of 3. They also have, by far, tougher upcoming opponents than any other non-SEC team, and this includes conference championship games. So, you're saying there really might be a scenario in which everyone in the room says who did you have ranked #3 last week? "Alabama". Who played the toughest schedule? "Alabama". Who had players hurt in their loss? "Alabama" Who beat the most ranked teams? "Alabama". Ok, but the other team won their conference championship game, so let's ignore all of that. If they're that bad, they won't bother ranking Alabama high at all, they'll make their job easier and screw them over starting at week one.

Good. That rules Notre Dame out.
Perhaps the most annoying thing in all of this is the argument that both Notre Dame and conference champs automatically get in. What some people might not be aware of, is that along with a tepid alliance with the Big 12, the SEC allied with Notre Dame in the discussions to resist conference championship requirements. Notre Dame is a partial member of the ACC and they lost to FSU. They might go to a playoff, but only if the committee considers something other than conference champions.

For the vast majority on here who think we will win out, why all the angst? If we win out and OM loses to either auburn, Arky or MSU we are in Atlanta. If you truly believe we beat LSU, MSU and auburn then there is nothing to worry about.
I don't think Alabama wins out, I never did. The deck is stacked against them, too many factors can cause them to lose a game (injuries, turnovers, officiating, etc...), and their margin for error is very low.

Personally, my angst is simply with the committee and the many people who for one reason or another argue that the committee's only job is to pick conference champions. That's wrong on so many levels and if it does occur, it will be a perversion of the post season. I honestly want to see a one loss non-SEC champ Alabama team because I want to see them make their mind up now. If they're going to ruin college football, let's get it over with and let it be known from the start. Make them decide it now, if they get to decide down the road, once most fans have become playoff zombies, it's much more likely they get away with it.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I know your use of bold must mean something, but the committee's first ranking will mean a great deal because it will make any subsequent move noticeable.

I've followed the process as closely as anyone, and I've been upset about it the whole way. I was against a playoff when that put me in the extreme minority on this site, so I'm not here to applaud the process.

However, the committee has rules that go beyond merely conference champions. They've stated that and multiple members have stated that the conference championship criteria is not a critical component. They also have stated that injuries matter, and that SoS matters, also since you bring up Big 12, common opponents matter. So, Alabama for instance has a trump card over Baylor in addition to everything else.

Part of the issue is our expectations though. If we hold the committee to a low standard, it becomes more likely that's what we'll see. They should be held accountable and be expected to in the least follow their own rules. Which by the way, lend no credence at all to the idea of both passing up a non-SEC champ for a conference champ and choosing Notre Dame over them.

There's just no way the committee can justify demoting Alabama several spots in their last ranking (unless they lose). It won't happen, because they won't have anything aside from one of many criteria to do that on. It's not that they won't want to, it's just that they don't have complete liberty. If they want to screw over Alabama, they have to start with the first poll and they have to place all teams carefully to even make that a possible scenario. They rank the wrong team too high or too low and it will blow up their ability to make the changes they need (if once again screwing over one conference is their goal) later. Remember, once they rank a future Alabama opponent high, they will have trouble discounting that win later.

I've stated before that I think their purpose might be as much to keep 3 from one conference out as anything, and it's easy to see that possible scenario, but it's not easy to see Alabama as the third SEC team if they don't lose. I do think Pacaderma's quote about spread the wealth is on the mark. The BCS, due to computer rankings, could have placed a third SEC team in the top four, and that would have been even more likely if Ole Miss had beat LSU. They won't allow that, of course. I also would fully expect them to mess with seeding, or bump a borderline SEC team out, but if Alabama wins they're not borderline.

I'd be kind of surprised by that exact ranking, but if it's something like that, there's just no way Alabama is left out if they win out. It simply won't matter what else happens.

Finally, the first rankings will be their most important ever, and will set a precedent. Up until now, guys like Gilmore and Kanell have been just making stuff up with nothing to base it on. Either the committee is run by unethical garbage like those guys, and we'll know it soon, or it's going to set a precedent that either leans towards the polls, or leans toward SoS, in both cases Alabama will be very highly ranked.
Some either haven't heard this, or read the General's interview, or are choosing to ignore both. As you say, the rankings that come out tonight will tell us all we need to know. There is still a lot of football left to be played and it's all moot if Bama doesn't win out. If they are ranked 5 (like the CBS poll), and beat numbers 1 and 3, no way they get left out. No way. I am not certain they won't put ND ahead of Bama, and CBS having the ducks at 10 is, well, lets just say, funny. But if Bama wins out, look at the number of teams in the Top 10 - Top 20 they will have beaten; I think more than anyone else.

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
Right on. The only thing that matters to us is beating LSU which will be a big challenge. Then we have to beat the number one team. Then we have to beat an outstanding AU team. Besides ole miss could lose two more. AU will beat them and so will Miss St.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
I think the odds of ole miss losing again after their first loss are pretty good,doesn't mean they will lose .but I think their chances for another loss have increased. Freeze throwing Wallace under the bus can't help their situation either.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Ok, all you fellow Bama fans pulling for Ole Miss, you need to check yourselves!!!!!!! Looking at the rankings if Ole Miss wins out, we are toast. You need to put your hatred for our rival aside and pull for what helps Bama! We need Auburn to take out Ole Miss then we can take care of Auburn. I mean really, are you a Bama fan or an anti Auburn fan?!?!?!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Ok, all you fellow Bama fans pulling for Ole Miss, you need to check yourselves!!!!!!! Looking at the rankings if Ole Miss wins out, we are toast. You need to put your hatred for our rival aside and pull for what helps Bama! We need Auburn to take out Ole Miss then we can take care of Auburn. I mean really, are you a Bama fan or an anti Auburn fan?!?!?!
Toast? The committee kind of threw a curve by making quality wins their main criteria, but Alabama's schedule is loaded with 3 potential quality wins, and two of those would give them a head to head edge. Even if Oregon stays ahead, Alabama can play their way to 4th, and if the committee stays true to valuing quality wins, they'll jump Oregon as well.

Alabama's only quality win at the moment is WVU, the Texas A&M win has become devalued unfortunately. Oregon has two quality wins. But, Alabama has three potential quality wins on their schedule, and Oregon only has one. If you add to that the fact that Alabama has two top ten upcoming, Oregon's resume really won't stack up.

Of course I'd have preferred they went with the AP rankings, or even the computer rankings, but I still contend that Alabama can play their way in and does not need a bit of help.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Toast? The committee kind of threw a curve by making quality wins their main criteria, but Alabama's schedule is loaded with 3 potential quality wins, and two of those would give them a head to head edge. Even if Oregon stays ahead, Alabama can play their way to 4th, and if the committee stays true to valuing quality wins, they'll jump Oregon as well.

Alabama's only quality win at the moment is WVU, the Texas A&M win has become devalued unfortunately. Oregon has two quality wins. But, Alabama has three potential quality wins on their schedule, and Oregon only has one. If you add to that the fact that Alabama has two top ten upcoming, Oregon's resume really won't stack up.

Of course I'd have preferred they went with the AP rankings, or even the computer rankings, but I still contend that Alabama can play their way in and does not need a bit of help.
We are toast IMO if Ole Miss wins out. With Oregon's ranking, the committee is pretty serious about conference champs. Ole Miss wins out, we are out of the SEC Championship. Why take a chance and pull for Ole Miss just because of the hatred for AU? All we need is AU to win and we control our destiny.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Already said it earlier in thread, but after the rankings I am 100% hoping (not pulling for) Auburn wins. There is no other way to look at it from an Alabama perspective.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
We are toast IMO if Ole Miss wins out. With Oregon's ranking, the committee is pretty serious about conference champs. Ole Miss wins out, we are out of the SEC Championship. Why take a chance and pull for Ole Miss just because of the hatred for AU? All we need is AU to win and we control our destiny.
Affirmative. War Eagle!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I've been arguing here since the week of the Ole Miss loss that Alabama had a clear path to the playoff. Nothing, not one thing, since then has changed that and from the start I was willing to accept both FSU and Ole Miss not losing.

We can say Oregon is ahead because they might be conference champs, but they're one of four one loss Pac-12 teams. You know where they ranked the others? 12, 14, and 17. In other words, they put all their eggs in the Oregon basket. Same with Michigan State, you can say sure they win and they're in, but Ohio State is all the way down at 16. If Ohio State wins, then what of their conference champ stuff? Ohio State winning is kind of a double whammy though, since it also devalues Oregon's win. Even if you buy into the conference champ stuff, their eggs are all in three baskets. Oregon, Michigan State, and TCU. Mind you, that's who I said they'd probably have to wager on, but if either of those teams stumble, they probably take their conference's playoff hopes with them. Two of those teams though, two (three if you count Ole Miss) of them have to move/stay ahead of Alabama to keep Alabama out.

At least we've laid the Notre Dame talk to rest for now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.