Coaching Moves

single wing1

Suspended
Oct 11, 2005
If Will Muschamp gets chomped by Florida, would not the two Mississippi SEC HC;s
hope for the job? I sure would.... to get out of the tough SEC West into a declining SEC East. The Gators should dominate the East every year with their vast pool of home recruits.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Freeze is a Mississippi guy, so I'm not sure he'd leave. Ole Miss is said to be his dream job. Mullen and Jeremy Foley are supposedly said to not get along, but that is a just a rumor AFAIK. Of course, some people said CNS would never re-hire Lance Thompson and some said he would never, ever hire Lane Kiffin, so...

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I really don't see Freeze leaving OM either. He is at home where he was raised and he should be able to stay as long as he wants, unless he makes dumb decisions like last night against LSU.
Mullen is more likely to leave if offered but I'm not sure it will be Florida. If he were to leave MS look for them to take a look at coach Hudspeth from Louisiana. It will be fun to watch.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
There was a story a few weeks ago that Mullens wife did not like Gainseville. We know how wives influence husbands. But it was a story on the internet, so talk it fwiw. Plus they really seem home in Starkville. Mullens is from the Northeast, so has not family ties to Gainesville. Just his time with Urban. Bottom line though, money talks.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Freeze is a Mississippi guy, so I'm not sure he'd leave. Ole Miss is said to be his dream job. Mullen and Jeremy Foley are supposedly said to not get along, but that is a just a rumor AFAIK. Of course, some people said CNS would never re-hire Lance Thompson and some said he would never, ever hire Lane Kiffin, so...
Freeze no, Mullen maybe under the right circumstances ($).

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Miss. State is one of those teams that has a very good team every 20 years or so then a pretty good team the next year, then they fall back into mediocrity, sort of like Vandy, Ol Miss., Ky., South Carolina, Missouri and Georgia. Dan Mullen better have his agent talking to some teams while he can still use State as a catapult.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
The hope in Columbia is that USC makes a run at Muschamp as DC (I like Whammy, but he ain't cutting it).

I lived in the Columbia area back in the early 90's, and unless it's changed drastically since I left, there's not much in central SC to attract students from outside the state. It's easy to understand why they can't recruit great talent at USCe. Truthfully, I think SoS has gotten the 'cocks to the best level they've been in a very long time. They've never been a truly great team, and they've had some pretty good coaches. I think he'll leave when he gets ready to retire, and not before.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Muschamp is a very good DC but hasn't met expectations as a HC. I think Coach Saban will scoop 'Ol Will' up in some capacity in case Coach Kirby Smart finds something he likes. Florida needs to hire an offensive minded HC.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Unless Mullen leaves State I think UF will go down-market and find a decent mid- to low-FBS experienced HC. Dantonio at MSU (who I think I'd like to see as Saban's eventual replacement) would be a top-tier candidate IMO. But expect them to make a hire focused on the offense rather than defense.... If they go into assistants I think they could go after the OC at tOSU or Chad Morris at Clemson... But I tend to think Mullen's the first call. Foley's smart enough to look past personal issues to make a good hire and Mullen - if he wants the gig - would do the same. Florida has enough cash to go after anyone they could get (read: not Saban or Sumlin) so that won't be a problem.

BamaNWE

Dec 9, 2010
I could see UF going after Gus Malzahn and frankly can't understand why they wouldn't. They can pay him more money and he could get all the talent he wanted in state to run that offense. They would dominate the east and be in the SECCG every year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that Florida will go after one of the coaches already mentioned in this thread. Mullen and Malzahn fit the mold perfectly, and they have both proven themselves. They are both ready for "promotions" to larger programs, and both would be scary with FL recruits.

I don't see Dantonio leaving MSU at this point. He had a chance to leave a few years ago for the NFL and decided to stay. But you never know.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
UF should not hire a coordinator. Muschamp and Zook were terrible. SEC is no place for a new head coach to cut teeth. They need to go after a proven HC like Mullen, Malzahn etc..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Gus isn't going to make a lateral move in SEC. If he's going to leave, it would be either for ACC or NFL. I dont think Mullen will do the same either. I think FLorida will go after someone from NFL Rank.

UF should not hire a coordinator. Muschamp and Zook were terrible. SEC is no place for a new head coach to cut teeth. They need to go after a proven HC like Mullen, Malzahn etc..

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I bet Mullin would make that jump, especially if MSU were to lose to Bama or in the SECCG game this year with arguably the best MSU team ever (or at least in living memory). Mullins might ask himself, "If I can't win it all with this team, when will I ever be able to win it all in Starkpatch?"
Been there before, better facilities, better recruits, don't have to face Alabama, LSU, A&M, Ark, Barn every year...
Not a bad step up.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If my memory is correct, I recall Mullen reminding people that when he was at Florida, at one point the Florida fans started up a website calling for Mullen to be fired. I took it as a hint that he doesn't feel warm and fuzzy about the Florida fan base.

Maybe they can offer him enough money that he will hold his nose and take the job, and then pretend to respect the Florida fans. My guess is that he likes Miss State well enough to hang around.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I'm going to go ahead and call Muschamp to TAM as d coordinator after he gets fired from UF.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I'm going to go ahead and call Muschamp to TAM as d coordinator after he gets fired from UF.
I think Muschamp would be a good hire for T A&M, but we don't need any more great teams in the SEC West. So, for us, I hope they don't get a good defensive coordinator.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
I could see Florida at least gauging the interest of Gary Patterson. Rich Rodriguez would be another possibility. And I think a dark horse could be Kentucky's Mark Stoops. Jeremy Foley's affinity for Bob Stoops is well-noted, and Mark seems to be recruiting well and at least beginning to turn around Kentucky.

Gus's interest in Florida probably depends on internal dynamics at the Barn and how secure he feels there. Bernie Machen and Jeremy Foley would certainly be easier to work for than the clown car of folks that run API. I don't know the inside scoops on the relationship between Mullen and UF, but it would make sense on paper.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.