2014 = 2011?

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
If we win out, I really only see one scenario where we wouldn't go. That is, regardless of whether Ole Miss wins out or not. Having victories over Auburn and MSU will be pretty darn impressive. And a victory over LSU in Death Valley wouldn't be to shabby either.

My one concern would be if Georgia beats Auburn. Ole Miss wins out and goes to SECCG. Georgia beats Ole Miss in the SECCG in a close, well played contest. If the committee was to take two SEC teams, who would they take? You gotta figure it would be Ole Miss and Georgia.
This scenario which I posted about last week was eliminated with Ole Miss losing. If we win out, we are in. If Ole Miss wins out too, it could be exactly like it was in 2011 where we could avoid playing a dangerous Georgia team in the SEC Championship and go straight to the playoffs.

There are other similarities too. Our loss was a game where we were better than the other team in all facets of the game except for the little things.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This scenario which I posted about last week was eliminated with Ole Miss losing. If we win out, we are in. If Ole Miss wins out too, it could be exactly like it was in 2011 where we could avoid playing a dangerous Georgia team in the SEC Championship and go straight to the playoffs.

There are other similarities too. Our loss was a game where we were better than the other team in all facets of the game except for the little things.
If I know we're in the playoffs, I'm fine playing one less game, but the SEC Championship means a lot.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
With all due respect Chuck, the SEC champ is in and all other SEC teams are not.
How would they be able to deny us after we would have beaten #1 MSU and Auburn?

I think there are some other scenarios too. If MSU and Auburn both win out, they would both be in the playoffs. If Georgia wins out and beats an undefeated MSU team in the SECCG, they would both be in the playoffs.

If I know we're in the playoffs, I'm fine playing one less game, but the SEC Championship means a lot.
Agreed.

Last edited:

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
The only way we get in without winning the SEC championship is to demolish all of our remaining opponents like we did to A&M, AND for the rest of the league champions to have 2 bad/late losses (as in not in the top 10 of the polls). As it is now, FSU will have 0 to 1 loss, SEC winner will be in, OSU or Michigan State will likely have one loss, and either Oregon or Baylor finishes with one loss, and don't forget ND,so we are very likely OUT unless we win the SEC. There is a lot of football left. Everything will be clear in late November.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Gray, are you saying that there will not be two sec teams in the playoffs?
Not Gray, but NOT even if the 11-1 non-champion is ranked #1 in the Polls. Which is what would have happened in 2011 had LSU lost to UGA in the SECCG. This is NOT 2011! 2011 is why we have what we have in 2014.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I`ll believe that 2 of 4 come out of the SEC when I see it. Should it ever happen? Sure. Will it? Another story!

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
I`ll believe that 2 of 4 come out of the SEC when I see it. Should it ever happen? Sure. Will it? Another story!
We are going to have a idea tomorrow night of where we stand when the committee releases their top 25 for the first time. I will absolutely guarantee that it will be

1) MSU
2) FSU

Then 3, 4, and 5 will be Bama, Auburn, and Oregon in some order. I don't know what that order will be. But it doesn't matter because we play Auburn and will be able to play our way into the top 4.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Too many speculations and assumptions at this point. You cannot just assume what the committee will do. Just focus on winning rest of the games this season, and let it take care of itself in the end. It's too early to say this and that, when we don't know what will happen.

Now, I'm going to say this: I honestly don't think a second SEC team will get left out at all. The new playoff poll comes out tomorrow night, and from what I've heard, it will be little slightly different than the other polls. The way the schedule is set up, the poll will change a lot in the next few weeks.

Pathforward #`1
Ole Miss is now ranked 7th, but given the schedule, they could be # 3 or #4 at the end of the season. Now, Let's say come December 1, Let's say FSU, Alabama and ole miss wins out. Oregon, MIch St, Ole Miss, Georgia, TCU, Kansas state, Baylor, OSU rounds out the top 8 list. now, Ole miss and Georgia goes to championship, and Ole miss wins. Ole Miss will make the playoff, but if Alabama stays ranked ahead of Ole throughout the season, it'll be hard to ignore Alabama at this point. Now, If Miss state loses, they fall down to #6 or #7 and we could see Mich st, TCU slipping in.

PathForward #2
FSU, Alabama wins out. Alabama goes to SEC Championship if Ole miss loses again. In this case, we would have one SEC team representing the playoff. Miss State could be outside looking in ( #5 or #6) because they lost so late in the season.

Path forward #3 whoever lose in championship game against Georgia, will create a spot for second SEC team to get in.

PathForward 4
Ohio State, Mich St, Baylor, Kansas State, TCU are playing well and could make a strong case to get placed in play off instead of Alabama if Alabama doesn't make it to SEC Championshipo.

That is why I was saying, don't speculation at this point. It's a mess right now, and it'll sort itself out in next few weeks. For the time being, just enjoy watching the team.

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004
If we are number three.... and we beat top ranked Barn...and then the number one team in the country...we will be up to one or two in the AP.... SEC champ game or not.. they cant deny us.. Can you imagine us being number one in the AP poll and being denied the top four?

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I simply don't understand the constant pessimism about two SEC teams getting in the playoffs. The SEC has two of the top four teams in the country. I also don't buy into this widespread conspiracy against the SEC.

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004
But it does have something to do with opinions...which is my point... I don't believe they will be that egregious and go that far against the grain...weather they want to or not... snubbing a number one team would not go well with public opinion. Then we all watch sub par teams battle for the NC and get killed. So there is relevance to the AP.

bamaltc

Scout Team
Dec 8, 2010
Florence, AL
IMHO, if we do not win the SEC Championship and there are at least two other 1-loss Conference Champions that played in conference championship games, we will be left out.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
But it does have something to do with opinions...which is my point... I don't believe they will be that egregious and go that far against the grain...weather they want to or not... snubbing a number one team would not go well with public opinion. Then we all watch sub par teams battle for the NC and get killed. So there is relevance to the AP.
Any outcry would be regional(read South). The NATIONAL opinion is that there is favorable bias toward the SEC in the Polls. There would be no national outcry. They would be ROFL.

Last edited:

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Any outcry would be regional(read South). The NATIONAL opinion is that there is favorable bias toward the SEC in the Polls. There would be no national outcry.
Do you get a nickel every time you say something negative? There is no reason to think a one-loss SEC team will be left out. Even those who dislike the SEC, respect it. Most people just want to see good football.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Do you get a nickel every time you say something negative? There is no reason to think a one-loss SEC team will be left out. Even those who dislike the SEC, respect it. Most people just want to see good football.
There is every reason to think a one loss non champion SEC team will be left out. Would you like them to replace a one loss PAC12 Champion Oregon? So that people could see some GOOD football?

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I simply don't understand the constant pessimism about two SEC teams getting in the playoffs. The SEC has two of the top four teams in the country. I also don't buy into this widespread conspiracy against the SEC.
That's fine. You don't have to. I am optimistic about things we have control over. As far as other people's opinions and judgments -- especially this playoff committee -- I wouldn't be surprised if they have us in the top 4 tomorrow night and we win out. But don't be surprised if Ole Miss wins out and plays/wins the SEC Championship Game and *then* they decide to push Ole Miss ahead of us simply because they made it to the SECCG and won. And then they push in a team like Michigan State because they're a 1-loss team who happened to have won their conference championship game too. In my mind, it won't change a good season we're having (and I'm proud of as well). But, I simply don't have any faith in this group until they've voted for a few years. The reason? Think of why this whole thing was started in the first place. I know SEC gets a lot of hate now but I don't believe in conspiracies (gives the wrong people far too much credit) either. I don't think any conference will be allowed more than one team in the playoffs. I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm sticking with that for now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.