2014 = 2011?

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
If we are number three.... and we beat top ranked Barn...and then the number one team in the country...we will be up to one or two in the AP.... SEC champ game or not.. they cant deny us.. Can you imagine us being number one in the AP poll and being denied the top four?
Why not? IF the committee intends to shake things up, what better way than to do something ridiculous in year one, take all the heat up front and then never look back?

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
There is every reason to think a one loss non champion SEC team will be left out. Would you like them to replace a one loss PAC12 Champion Oregon? So that people could see some GOOD football?
I can't believe you are putting me in the position of explaining to a supposed Alabama fan that Bama football is better than anything they play out West.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I simply don't understand the constant pessimism about two SEC teams getting in the playoffs. The SEC has two of the top four teams in the country. I also don't buy into this widespread conspiracy against the SEC.
I get your optimism, but the very reason this system was established was to prevent a repeat of the 2011 BCSCG. It was designed to prevent two SEC teams from playing for the championship.
There are five Power Five conferences and four playoff slots. That means, by definition, one conference champ is going to get left out. Add a second SEC team, and you leave out two conference champs.
If they just wanted the best four teams, they would not have insisted on a committee, they would have just selected the top four teams in the BCS.
But they explicitly did not want the top four teams in the BCS. Hence the committee.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I get your optimism, but the very reason this system was established was to prevent a repeat of the 2011 BCSCG. It was designed to prevent two SEC teams from playing for the championship.
Agreed, but that doesn't mean two SEC teams don't make the playoff - it simply means that the two SEC teams will face each other in the 'semi-final', insuring that only one makes it into the championship game.

If the committee varies too far from the norm (the coaches and AP polls) the uproar will be deafening, and not just by SEC folks - while many fans are short-sighrtd, there are smart folks in every fan base that can see a point in the future when their conference is head-and-shoulders better than the rest and their team gets left out...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Agreed, but that doesn't mean two SEC teams don't make the playoff - it simply means that the two SEC teams will face each other in the 'semi-final', insuring that only one makes it into the championship game.
I hope you're right, but I would not be at all surprised to see the winner of the SECCG get in regardless of rank, and no other SEC team, again regardless of rank. That would not surprise me a bit.
If the committee varies too far from the norm (the coaches and AP polls) the uproar will be deafening, and not just by SEC folks - while many fans are short-sighrtd, there are smart folks in every fan base that can see a point in the future when their conference is head-and-shoulders better than the rest and their team gets left out...
No one ever went broke betting on the short-sightedness of the general public.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I can't believe you are putting me in the position of explaining to a supposed Alabama fan that Bama football is better than anything they play out West.
It is not so much a question of whose football is better than whose.
It is a question of who gets into the playoff.
You are assuming the best get in. Big assumption.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Oregon will lose again -- as will Mich State -- so, SEC will/should get 2 in.....

2 - zero loss teams left
15 Power 5 - 1 loss teams left......

Pac 12 teams with 1 loss -- Oregon, Ariz State, Ariz, Utah.....
SEC teams with 1 loss -- Bama, UGA, OM, Auburn
Notre Dame
Big 12 teams with 1 loss -- KState, Baylor, TCU
Big 10 Teams with 1 loss -- Mich State, Ohio State, Nebraska
ACC Teams with 1 loss -- Duke

Oregon still plays Utah (and Stanford this weekend)
Arizona still plays Utah and Ariz State
Arizona State still plays Utah, Notre Dame and Arizona.....
Notre Dame still plays Ariz State (Louisville and at USCw)
Duke plays no zero or 1 loss teams.....
Michigan State plays Ohio State......
Ohio State plays Michigan State
Nebraska plays no (zero or 1 loss) teams -- but do play at Wisconsin (Nov 15th)
K State plays at TCU, (at WVA), and at Baylor
TCU plays at WVA, K State....
Baylor plays at Oklahoma, and hosts K State

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If Bama doesn't play in the SEC championship game, it will sit at home while at least a few other one-loss teams play.

Kansas State and Baylor play each other that day. TCU hosts Iowa State. TCU and K-State play in two weeks; the loser of that game will be eliminated.

Plus, Michigan State or Ohio State (presumably the winner of their November 8 matchup) will play for the B1G Championship, and their opponent could be a one-loss Nebraska team.

Oregon could be a one-loss team playing for the Pac-12 championship. Their possible opponent could be a one-loss Arizona State or Arizona team.

Now, tell me the committee is picking a one-loss Alabama team that didn't win its own division over a one-loss Big 12, B1G, or Pac-12 champion.

This thread is under the assumption Ole Miss is the SEC champion with one-loss. I'm going to assume Florida State wins out, as well. That's two spots in the playoff taken. A one-loss Alabama team isn't taking the spot of two one-loss conference champions.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I get why people think there won't be 2 SEC teams in the playoff. But, just as a reminder...

It was the coaches who put us in the championship in 2011. And the AP poll of media also had us as #2. The only entity that had us at #3 was computers.
So, coaches actually had to go against the computers to get us into the 2011 BCS championship. And - just to be sure that it wasn't SEC coaches that did it - if you took out SEC coaches, we still would have been #2. IIRC, Big 12 was the only conference whose coaches, as a group, did not put us at #2.

So, if PEOPLE complain about the result of 2011, it was their own fault. And, in the playoff scenario, they are removing the one component that actually tried to keep us out - the computers. It is my opinion that the problem with 2011 wasn't so much that it was two SEC teams - the voters themselves put us there. The problem was that no one else had a chance.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
That's fine. You don't have to. I am optimistic about things we have control over. As far as other people's opinions and judgments -- especially this playoff committee -- I wouldn't be surprised if they have us in the top 4 tomorrow night and we win out. But don't be surprised if Ole Miss wins out and plays/wins the SEC Championship Game and *then* they decide to push Ole Miss ahead of us simply because they made it to the SECCG and won. And then they push in a team like Michigan State because they're a 1-loss team who happened to have won their conference championship game too. In my mind, it won't change a good season we're having (and I'm proud of as well). But, I simply don't have any faith in this group until they've voted for a few years. The reason? Think of why this whole thing was started in the first place. I know SEC gets a lot of hate now but I don't believe in conspiracies (gives the wrong people far too much credit) either. I don't think any conference will be allowed more than one team in the playoffs. I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm sticking with that for now.
In that scenario, both us and Ole Miss would go. But they would definitely be the higher seed.

Also, if the Big 12 champ is a one loss Baylor, how can you put them ahead Bama when they lost to a team that Bama crushed?

Last edited:

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
There are five Power Five conferences and four playoff slots. That means, by definition, one conference champ is going to get left out. Add a second SEC team, and you leave out two conference champs.
If they just wanted the best four teams, they would not have insisted on a committee, they would have just selected the top four teams in the BCS.
But they explicitly did not want the top four teams in the BCS. Hence the committee.
I'm going with this. The completely objective, non biased committee *snicker* could decide they want only conference champs in the Top 4. Then the only debate is 'which 4?'

Should've left the BCS to decide the playoff teams, if they were interested in an objective playoff ranking and seeding. But they didn't...they've left it up to a committee of humans to make the decision. We got the BCS precisely BECAUSE we were tired of humans screwing things up. Now, we're back to humans screwing things up.

The solution? Let's expand the playoffs to 8, 12, 16 teams! More money! Woo-freaking-hoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

CA, I hope you're right man but I just don't see it. Pray for my faith to increase :biggrin:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
OSU/Mich St- best chances to lose is against nebraska in the BIG10 CG but that is stretching it

FSU-best chance is on Thursday, if it doesnt happen then it will be a big upset

Oregon- Stanford or Oregon St are the best chance

ND- Louisville or USC

BIG XII- Tcu/ Baylor/ KSU- I havent a clue who wins it but our best hope is WVU throwing a wrench in it and winning the conference

Its gonna be hard getting to the dance without winning in Atlanta unless the committee picks the 4 best teams rather than the conference champions with only one loss

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
One of the problems for 2-SEC teams to be in final four is FSU. The committee will be hard pressed to put 3 southern teams in the playoffs - especially if Notre Dame, Michigan State and Oregon all have just one loss.

It seems like the committee will be under enormous pressure to make the playoff an inter-regional affair.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If tomorrow the committee puts us in the top 4 and we win out (even w/o a SEC championship appearance) we will be in the play-off. I believe beating LSWho on the road and beating possibly the #1 team at home and #5 team at home is a good enough resume to insure a play-off appearance under this scenario.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If tomorrow the committee puts us in the top 4 and we win out (even w/o a SEC championship appearance) we will be in the play-off. I believe beating LSWho on the road and beating possibly the #1 team at home and #5 team at home is a good enough resume to insure a play-off appearance under this scenario.
I'd say even if we're in the top 5 and win out we're in - as most likely MSU and Auburn would have to be ahead of us to put Bama 5th.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.