Alabama Hoops: With Attendance Down, Can Anthony Grant Pull It Back Up?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Story here

Men's basketball ticket revenue at the University of Alabama last season was down $330,222 from the previous season, according to data obtained by The Tuscaloosa News under open records laws. Actual attendance dropped nearly 38,000 from the previous season to less than 4,000 per game.

By the end of last season, as UA was playing out the end of a 13-19 campaign, Coleman Coliseum was all but empty. Patrons could hear the echo of the ball bouncing on the hardwood floor.

Scott Huffman, a season ticket holder for the last five years who has gone to games since he was in school in the 1980s, drives from his home in Hoover to the games.

"I think last year was the worst attendance that I can recall, and I started back in the (Wimp) Sanderson years," he said. "Toward the end of the season we were still going but not as much as in years past. Obviously the crowd you could see was disappointing with not as many people there."

Anthony Grant, who is entering his sixth season as head coach at UA, believes that winning is the only solution.

"At the end of the day it's wins and losses," Grant said. "That's what everybody in this business is going to be judged and based on. If you ask me one thing we need to do better, it is probably win."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The first regular season game is on November 14 against Towson. It's the second game of a double header with the women's team.
I don't want to get my hopes up this year but I don't see how we can be worse than last year. Maybe this is the year CAG gets it going..

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I'm "luke-warm" on hoops this year. I'm just hoping that I can see more games on the SEC Network.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'll watch every game that is on TV like I do every year, but I'm not getting my hopes up this year..

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
"At the end of the day it's wins and losses," Grant said. "That's what everybody in this business is going to be judged and based on. If you ask me one thing we need to do better, it is probably win."
No offense coach, but PROBABLY??!?!?!?!?

beardensdaman44

All-SEC
Mar 7, 2006
Ever since the last couple years of CMG's tenure, it seems we've been recruiting more athletes and fewer basketball players. Outside of Releford, this seems to hold true.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Ever since the last couple years of CMG's tenure, it seems we've been recruiting more athletes and fewer basketball players. Outside of Releford, this seems to hold true.
We've recruited basketball players. We simply play them out of position. That has hurt us on the recruiting trail.

Did anyone else receive a personalized email from asking you to buy basketball tickets?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In the article, Grant says he can probably do a better job promoting the team. He took another step towards that yesterday by hand delivering fans' season tickets with Levi and Cooper.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
With the exception of maybe the Center position and Point, they are all "basketball players" and should be interchangeable.

We've recruited basketball players. We simply play them out of position. That has hurt us on the recruiting trail.

Did anyone else receive a personalized email from asking you to buy basketball tickets?

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
With the exception of maybe the Center position and Point, they are all "basketball players" and should be interchangeable.
I know Cooper is listed as a forward, but should he really be PF for us? I know for a fact his use of Cooper and Mitchell to some extent hurt us on the recruiting trail. It was specifically mentioned by kids and their "people" as reasons why they didn't come to Bama.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I know Cooper is listed as a forward, but should he really be PF for us? I know for a fact his use of Cooper and Mitchell to some extent hurt us on the recruiting trail. It was specifically mentioned by kids and their "people" as reasons why they didn't come to Bama.
To me it's about what you have at your disposal at the time. Certain circumstances such as fouls, bench, offensive sets etc.... dictate that you may not always be able to play at your position. All you need to know is your role in transition up and down the court as part of the starting five. To me you are not entitled to a certain position all of the time. Just my opinion as a coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.