Link: Cam Robinson to miss several weeks with ankle injury; cleared to play vs. LSU

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Cam Robinson to miss several weeks with ankle injury

I haven't seen any mention of surgery anywhere else.
It's all over Twitter. Also, most of the sites are reporting it, although in strangely identical language, which suggests that they are copying each other. All have the phrase "high athletic official"...

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

It's all over Twitter. Also, most of the sites are reporting it, although in strangely identical language, which suggests that they are copying each other. All have the phrase "high athletic official"...
This doesn't sound like something CNS would hide or the beat reporters would not confirm if it's true. But what do I know.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I think lot of people on twitter are " retweeting" the same source, but not realizing where it came from... I don't think CNS would hide this from us, and if he hasn't said it by now, We have to operate under assumptions that it didn't happen until he or Cam Robinson mentions it. Shoot, it might not even be a surgery, could've been procedure that takes 30 minutes and all. I'm very skeptical of this rumor.

ohiotide14

1st Team
Jan 3, 2012
Youngstown, OH

Wouldnt surgery in some ways be better than a lingering injury like a high ankle sprain? Fix the problem and rehab

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I can see Saban not telling us the entire story if it means making opponents prepare for Cam. He's told us Cam is out at least a few weeks. He hasn't denied Cam having surgery.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Wouldnt surgery in some ways be better than a lingering injury like a high ankle sprain? Fix the problem and rehab

Maybe the docs on the board will correct me, but unless there's a detached tendon or something that needs stabilizing, surgery is not the normal procedure for a sprain. It it was a broken or dislocated ankle, sure. Sprains, and I had a doozie once, rare if at all.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Can they scope an ankle ligament like they can a knee ligament AND does the recovery time vary a whole lot with ankles?

I had a high ankle sprain in my Soph. year of HS basketball and I missed a month of playing time and when I came back and tried to play the last game of the season I was probably only 60%. Virtually ineffective.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

This is why I highly doubted the surgery part:
http://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/conditions/ailments-of-the-ankle/Pages/High-Ankle-Sprain.aspx

The goals of treatment are to have the tibia and fibula located in the correct position with respect to each other and to heal in that position. It is very important to note that these injuries can take a lot longer than typical ankle sprains to heal. If you have a sprain but do not have a broken bone, the treatment immediately following the injury is to rest the leg, ice for 20 minutes every two to three hours, gently compress the leg with an ACE wrap, and elevate the leg with the toes higher than the nose. You may have enough tenderness to require a removable walking boot. Aggressive therapy when weight bearing is possible is very important. This includes strengthening those tendons on the outside of the ankle called the peroneals.

It usually takes six weeks or more to return to play, but can sometimes take even longer. One good indication that you are ready to go back to sports is if you can hop on the foot 15 times. This hopping test is acceptable if there is no obvious widening between the tibia and the fibula on X-rays. If there is widening, which is called diastasis, or if there is a broken bone, surgery is often needed. There is debate as to how to properly fix these injuries, but the idea is to put the fibula and tibia back together and hold them with either screws or new devices that contain a suture, which is the same type of material used to close wounds.
In fact, it can take six to seven weeks before athletes return to play. In those cases in which a separation of the tibia and fibula or fracture has occurred and surgery is necessary, patients will likely need to be nonweightbearing in a cast followed by a walking boot for about 12 weeks. It is important to do early range of motion passively, meaning with the help of a therapist that moves the ankle, so help avoid stiffness. The screws are commonly taken out in a second, small surgery before full weightbearing is allowed so they will not break.
Outcomes are generally good if the injury is recognized and treated appropriately. It is more likely, however, to have some stiffness of the ankle after a high ankle sprain as compared to a standard ankle sprain. This is especially true if a fracture has occurred.
Seems weird to have surgery and then is expected to be back in time for LSU or MSU, maybe Auburn game.... The timing seems weird with that report.... IF the report was accurate from twitter, then Robinson would be back in time for SEC Championship... since it takes 6 weeks to fully heal. This is why it can be confusing at times when it comes to twitter and their " sources"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Seems weird to have surgery and then is expected to be back in time for LSU or MSU, maybe Auburn game.... The timing seems weird with that report.... IF the report was accurate from twitter, then Robinson would be back in time for SEC Championship... since it takes 6 weeks to fully heal. This is why it can be confusing at times when it comes to twitter and their " sources"
For whatever reason, you've felt the need to question any report on this. You've continued to bring up what Intel reported.

Left Tackle Cameron Robinson, who had surgery this past Monday for torn ligaments following a high ankle sprain suffered against UT on Saturday night, did nor practice & will likely be out 4-6 weeks with a hopeful Iron Bowl return.
Look at that statement from the site. It says "will likely be out 4-6 weeks with a hopeful Iron Bowl return." They aren't saying that is when he'll be back. They are giving the best case scenario. That's what fans want to hear - when is the earliest this injured player will be ready to play?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I understand what everyone said. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have hard time understanding the timeframe with Devall and Robinson. I'm not talking about that intel report or anything like that. It just that for high sprain ankle, In my head, that's six weeks, which is the season. That's all.

For whatever reason, you've felt the need to question any report on this. You've continued to bring up what Intel reported.

Look at that statement from the site. It says "will likely be out 4-6 weeks with a hopeful Iron Bowl return." They aren't saying that is when he'll be back. They are giving the best case scenario. That's what fans want to hear - when is the earliest this injured player will be ready to play?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

One thing that should be noted - what Saban says is limited by what Cam and his parents allow him to say. Some kids don't care, while others (or their parents) are very protective of medical information.

I believe that Robinson will be out until at least the Auburn game whether he had surgery or not if he suffered a high ankle sprain severe enough to require assistance leaving the field. We are all hoping for a speedy and full recovery, but I am confident that Alabama can win without Cam.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

One thing that should be noted - what Saban says is limited by what Cam and his parents allow him to say. Some kids don't care, while others (or their parents) are very protective of medical information.

I believe that Robinson will be out until at least the Auburn game whether he had surgery or not if he suffered a high ankle sprain severe enough to require assistance leaving the field. We are all hoping for a speedy and full recovery, but I am confident that Alabama can win without Cam.
Its not like he is out with the crabs! Whats the big deal saying he had relatively minor surgery if that's what he had?:confused:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

First it is clams.......now it is crabs..............must be Seafood Appreciation Day up where you are. :biggrin2:

B

BroadwayJoe777

I can't imagine Cam playing anymore this year after surgery. Can someone enlighten me on what this surgery entails?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Looks like Cam may be available to play this weekend... they aren't ruling him out just yet. He's running treadmill well. I think He has three days to show that he can play this weekend.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

Looks like Cam may be available to play this weekend... they aren't ruling him out just yet. He's running treadmill well. I think He has three days to show that he can play this weekend.
I'm completely shocked. In a good way, but shocked all the same.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I can't imagine Cam playing anymore this year after surgery. Can someone enlighten me on what this surgery entails?
The only surgery I know of is to go in and shorten and reattach the ligaments. Ligaments, and tendons to a lesser degree, are notorious about being slow to heal, because their blood supply is poor. (My BIL had two surgeries for it.) If he's on the treadmill already, I tend to discount all the surgery rumors. When you run it down, as I said before, you have a bunch of sites parroting the same "high-ranking athletic official line." There's never any corroboration at all...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.