How do YOU predict the Playoff Committee will rank the Top 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
To be honest the only sports analyst that has a solution for this madness is Lou Holtz. They asked him what he thought about playoffs if the committe went with primarily conference champs he said this:
1.it should be an 8 team playoff
2.power five will be ranked 1-5 by the committee
3. three wild cards will be chosen by the committee
4. Notre Dame and the independents must join a conference to participate in the show
Agree with #4. Otherwise completely flawed in assuming 5 conference champions are automatically 5 of the best 8 teams in the country.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Agree with #4. Otherwise completely flawed in assuming 5 conference champions are automatically 5 of the best 8 teams in the country.
I'm not saying that is the right way to do it, but it's the only way to keep everyone in the country happy because personally I would say it should be the top 8 regardless of conference to play it out.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Trying to think like a committee member, I assume they all agree on one thing: they want to keep this gig going for as many seasons as possible. So, despite the lack of required transparency, I assume they'll try to accomplish two things with early rankings: (1) they will be defensible; and (2) they can be changed with minimal drama when some of the more highly ranked teams subsequently lose, as they almost certainly will. I further assume that for a one-loss non-conference champ to get in will require at least two Power 5 conferences to have champions with two or more losses. That leads me to assume they'll rank teams who control their own destiny above those who don't, followed by teams needing minimal help. So, my predictions, with parentheticals stating how I believe the committee will reason:

1. MSU (Undefeated from Power 5)
2. FSU (Undefeated from Power 5)
3. Oregon (Presumed Power 5 champ; good non-conference win)
4. Notre Dame (best loss of the one loss teams)
5. Michigan State (presumed Power 5 champ; good non-conference loss)
6. Kansas State (Presumed Power 5 champ; good non-conference loss)
7. Ole Miss (one loss Power 5 team; controls its own destiny)
8. Georgia (one loss Power 5 team; controls its own destiny)
9. Alabama (one loss Power 5 team; can play its way in with minimal help)
10. Auburn (one loss Power 5 team; can play its way in with minimal help)

BamaJackPA

Aug 4, 2014
Gary patterson would disagree with you...
"I didn't want to score the last touchdown. They kept blitzing in the late part of the third quarter and when they bring more than we have, the check is to throw it. It was one of those things where they brought everybody and we threw a pick route and broke a couple of tackles. We were not trying to send a message about anything. We did not go into this saying we wanted to run up the score. That's not what TCU is all about it. We're not that kind of football team."

Sure Gary... sure...

BamaJackPA

Aug 4, 2014
Scoring 82. Which, by the way, was by no means TCU's way of running up the score to impress voters.
Gary Patterson disagrees with you... "I didn't want to score the last touchdown. They kept blitzing in the late part of the third quarter and when they bring more than we have, the check is to throw it. It was one of those things where they brought everybody and we threw a pick route and broke a couple of tackles. We were not trying to send a message about anything. We did not go into this saying we wanted to run up the score. That's not what TCU is all about it. We're not that kind of football team."

Sure Gary... sure...

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'm no Barn fan but how can anyone sit here and say that Notre Dumb has the best loss of any one loss team when Auburn's only loss is to the current #1 team. Notre Dame is getting more credit for that loss then most teams get for all their wins, it's sickening. Also, KSU loss to Auburn and should not be ranked ahead of them IMO. The Oregon love is a joke, same old story every year. Everyone seems to forget that there loss was to an unranked team (at that time). Where is Bama's credit for the loss to Ole Miss, a top ten team. Everyone but SEC teams seems to get credit for losses, where's ours? We are also getting zero credit for beating WVU, who is now ranked.

If this thing turns out like most of your are predicting, with most of the SEC teams shoved to the back, then college football is lost and the future is going to suck. I'm sorry but there is no way that Oregon, MSU, KSU should be ahead of Ole Miss, Bama and Auburn. Not if you are being honest about who the best teams in the country are right now.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I think a lot of you are just paranoid about the "Notre Dame Factor."

Notre Dame & Mississippi State were both undefeated at the same time this year. Mississippi State was #1, Notre Dame was #5.

I repeat, Notre Dame and Mississippi State were both undefeated at the same time this year. Mississippi State was #1, Notre Dame was #5.

Mississippi State.

MISSISSIPPI STATE.

Y'all are paranoid.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Trying to think like a committee member, I assume they all agree on one thing: they want to keep this gig going for as many seasons as possible. So, despite the lack of required transparency, I assume they'll try to accomplish two things with early rankings: (1) they will be defensible; and (2) they can be changed with minimal drama when some of the more highly ranked teams subsequently lose, as they almost certainly will. I further assume that for a one-loss non-conference champ to get in will require at least two Power 5 conferences to have champions with two or more losses. That leads me to assume they'll rank teams who control their own destiny above those who don't, followed by teams needing minimal help. So, my predictions, with parentheticals stating how I believe the committee will reason:

1. MSU (Undefeated from Power 5)
2. FSU (Undefeated from Power 5)
3. Oregon (Presumed Power 5 champ; good non-conference win)
4. Notre Dame (best loss of the one loss teams)
5. Michigan State (presumed Power 5 champ; good non-conference loss)
6. Kansas State (Presumed Power 5 champ; good non-conference loss)
7. Ole Miss (one loss Power 5 team; controls its own destiny)
8. Georgia (one loss Power 5 team; controls its own destiny)
9. Alabama (one loss Power 5 team; can play its way in with minimal help)
10. Auburn (one loss Power 5 team; can play its way in with minimal help)
This is the scenario that concerns me the most. We could end up #1 in the polls, beat the current #1, as well as win a top 15 road game, plus beat our top 5/10 rival and somehow not get in just because Ole Miss didn't lose a 2nd game.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Today on Mike and Mike, guest BCS guru(and Bama Grad) Brad Edwards crunched the numbers from his BCS formula . Top 5 BCS mirrors Ap poll. In the discussion that ensued, Golic brought up NOTRE DAME and how they deserved to be in because they were hosed by the worst call in CFB. Chris Carter responded with , 'stop it, You still have welts on your back from Alabama in the BCS Game. ' ....... CLASSIC!!!

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think ND has less credibility than ever after that beat down we put on them in the BCSCG a few years ago. Hard to forget about that..

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Hard to forget Brian Kelly's halftime comments about how they might try to turn things around in the second half. Paraphrasing: "Maybe Alabama won't return after halftime." :biggrin:

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Something interesting I saw on ESPN with Heather Dinech who said she interviewed Bill Hancock (exetive director of the committee) yesterday. One of the metrics that they are using is lining up the one loss teams in groups of 4 or 6 and comparing them head to head especially by defense. They look at how each teams defense would hold up to other teams in other conferences against particular offenses. I'm glad we have looked much better against The HUNH type offenses this year.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Rumors I keep hearing that is.... FSU and Miss State are a lock in the top 4 playoff spot..... I'm hearing Alabama, Auburn will be in it... My source is based on AP polls :D

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Don't be surprised when the selection committee drop Florida State from the playoffs entirely.
A lot of people feel that way. A lot!!! Brad Edwards said today, where the committee ranks Florida state and how they view Alabama are the keys to how this committee evaluates teams moving forward. Edwards doesn't have Bama in the playoffs, although he thinks strength of ranking and game control are the most important stats. Bama #2 in both. That tells me Brad is just trying to not be a homer.

Colin Cowherd and Kirk Herbstreit went on a rant about SEC bias today . Herby pointed out that their ABC prime time game cannot have an SEC team by contract agreement with SEC and
CBS. So a top ranked team in any other conference would be more beneficial. Also that SEC Fatigue and bias were topics at ESPN summer broadcast seminars. Colin simply said look at who wins big games on big stages, who the NFL drafts in April tells the story.

Yeah, I pretty much sit around and watch ESPN all day .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.