Why Fans and the Media Should Not Dismiss the TAMU Win

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Quickly after the TAMU game, folks put the Aggies in the rear view mirror. Folks mentioned TAMU being over hyped or any other possible negative description about a team that went from #6 in the nation to outside the top 25 in 3 weeks.

That was a mistake.

First, Kevin Sumlin isn't near the coach he appeared to be against Alabama. The game was a perfect storm for the end result.

TAMU came into Tuscaloosa after being punched in the mouth and gut by Arkansas. Then, Mississippi State took a Shop-Vac and sucked out every last ounce of emotion they had. Ole Miss began the dismantling, and Alabama finished it the following week. Folks forget, or never realized, TAMU came into Tuscaloosa after playing 7 straight weeks. Compare that to Alabama, who has needed a bye week after only 4 games.

Five players on the TAMU starting offense are in their first or second year of college; eight more players on the second team offense are in the same boat. The first and second team defense each have five players in their first or second year.

No matter how talented the young guys might be, they still have to adjust to college football - especially 8 straight weeks of it.

Second and most importantly, TAMU's remaining schedule is very favorable. They play La-Monroe this week after their bye week and play Auburn next week. They'll be able to either continue to rest guys this week or run the score up in order to gain confidence. After traveling to Auburn, they come home to play the mediocre offense known as Missouri before taking November 22 off in order to host LSU Thanksgiving night. In other words, TAMU has two bye weeks in a month's time.

Of TAMU's remaining four games, LSU is the only top 10 in points allowed at 15.9. Auburn and Mizzou both allow 20 points per game, and La-Monroe allows 27. TAMU averages 38 points per game. None of the four remaining opponents hold opposing offenses to less than 318 yards; A&M averages 516 yards per game.

The Aggies may be 5-3 right now, but they could very well end up 9-3 or 8-4 by the end of the season. The 59-0 annihilation will look even better when they are.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Agreed. That 4-week Arkansas through Alabama stretch for them was as brutal a run as I've ever seen. Take a look at Massey's A&M schedule:

http://masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7848&s=262657

Coming off an emotionally draining overtime win over the Hogs, A&M had to play the 3rd best team in the country (according to Massey's computer rankings), followed by the 2nd best team in the country, followed by the best team in the country, all without a bye. I'm not saying they're a top 10 team, but they aren't scrubs either. A 3-game skid is not a shameful result facing a brutal run like that.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
If hey get their act back together they could go into AU and have a game similar to the AU-SC game.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Agreed. That 4-week Arkansas through Alabama stretch for them was as brutal a run as I've ever seen. Take a look at Massey's A&M schedule:

http://masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7848&s=262657

Coming off an emotionally draining overtime win over the Hogs, A&M had to play the 3rd best team in the country (according to Massey's computer rankings), followed by the 2nd best team in the country, followed by the best team in the country, all without a bye. I'm not saying they're a top 10 team, but they aren't scrubs either. A 3-game skid is not a shameful result facing a brutal run like that.
Well, we'll finish with #8, #3, and #4 and that scale so I don't feel too bad for them. ;) It's called the SEC West.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
They will not beat auburn at auburn. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but still TAMU was over hyped and has zero defense.
I agree with all that. But SC had Auburn 35-35 late in the game, at Auburn. It could happen, but I doubt it. Maybe playing with more confidence, like RTR91 said...

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
A&m has been giving up big numbers to a lot of teams the last few years , it was just our turn to have a big day like so many others have had.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I saw part of the Barn game at K State and thought they were very fortunate to get out with a win. Beating LSU like they did impressed me, but now I'm not so sure. USCe was matching them score for score at their place. The AU defense seemed to be fairly helpless against the passing attack. I don't know enough to tell if the problem was talent or schemes or that their coach just doesn't care about playing defense or what. I'm pretty sure it wasn't jsut because USCe has one of the best passing attacks in the conference.

Saturday should be interesting. OM has a solid defense and last Saturday night did nothing to change my opinion about that -- they got a bunch of turnovers and held LSU to 10 points in their own house. That ought to be enough to win. Bo may be experiencing a regression to the mean, so I'll be curious as to whether he can take advantage of the AU defense.

Whatever else, Texas A&M has seen about as much talent and great coaching as you can think of in about a month of games. I can see the game in Lee County turning into arena football. If Summlin can keep them from quitting on him, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if *U didn't need some friendly officiating and their usual extreme luck to beat the Aggies. I wouldn't bet a dime on it either way.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
RTR91 said:
Quickly after the TAMU game, folks put the Aggies in the rear view mirror. Folks mentioned TAMU being over hyped or any other possible negative description about a team that went from #6 in the nation to outside the top 25 in 3 weeks.
This happens every year with every opponent that is supposed to destroy (upset, defeat, put us in our place, etc., etc..)
Before the game, all the media is looking to that team de jour to show everyone that Bama is all hype.
After the game is over and that (now over-hyped) team is hanging their heads in defeat (and tears), they are all of a sudden redefined as "not that good" and quickly dismissed.
We're used to it. Nothing new about that..
:biga:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The A&M team yesterday can beat Mizzou and possibly LSU Thanksgiving night. A 59-0 blowout of a 9-3 team will look very good.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.