Dan Wetzel Makes The Best Point Possible About Alleged Anti-SEC Bias...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In an otherwise mediocre column, Dan "Death to the BCS" Wetzel makes a hilariously accurate point:

An aside: remember, it makes perfect sense to believe a new, billion-dollar national sports entity and its international broadcast partner would do all it can to favor teams from small, poor Southern television markets. Perfect sense.

Better than Fowler, better than Musberger....

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Re: Dan Wetzel Makes The Best Point Possible About Alleged SEC Bias...

In an otherwise mediocre column, Dan "Death to the BCS" Wetzel makes a hilariously accurate point:

An aside: remember, it makes perfect sense to believe a new, billion-dollar national sports entity and its international broadcast partner would do all it can to favor teams from small, poor Southern television markets. Perfect sense.

Better than Fowler, better than Musberger....
Cowherd made a similar argument today. He inaccurately said outside of Atlanta and Charlotte, what big TV markets are in the SEC . It absolutely makes no financial sense to artificially prop up the conference.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

Cowherd made a similar argument today. He inaccurately said outside of Atlanta and Charlotte, what big TV markets are in the SEC . It absolutely makes no financial sense to artificially prop up the conference.
He and Herbstreit had a funny conversation about that. What was so funny for me was the fact that they aren't talking about Texas even with the Longhorn network.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I agree with the argument. Had the same idea earlier when reading folks tweet about the announcement tonight.

There's one flaw in it, though. What market ranks #1 in college football viewership every week? Birmingham.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

32-1...

That's bias alright, but it's statistically biased due to the abnormal number of SEC West wins.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

I agree with this, and just posted some statistical numbers on another thread about the small size of most SEC cities. Still, don't let ESPN totally fool you. With expansion ESPN is hoping to make big gains in the St. Louis and Houston markets, and despite Vandy's ineptness the Nashville market is a desirable one, plus the SEC really has Memphis and Jacksonville too. So while it's fair to say that ESPN isn't going to taint its reporting at risk of losing the real big markets like the NE, California, and Denver, it is not fair to pretend that the SEC is void of any desirable markets.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

There's one flaw in it, though. What market ranks #1 in college football viewership every week? Birmingham.
That ranking measures the percentage of households in a city that are watching a particular show or category - it doesn't measure absolute number of viewers.

For example, a 1.0 rating in NYC or Los Angeles would be more financially lucrative than a 9.0 rating in Birmingham.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I agree with the argument. Had the same idea earlier when reading folks tweet about the announcement tonight.

I don't think that measure is ranked by pure volume of viewers. I think it's the % of the population watching. I could be wrong though..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

That ranking measures the percentage of households in a city that are watching a particular show or category - it doesn't measure absolute number of viewers.

For example, a 1.0 rating in NYC or Los Angeles would be more financially lucrative than a 9.0 rating in Birmingham.
I don't think that measure is ranked by pure volume of viewers. I think it's the % of the population watching. I could be wrong though..
You're both correct. However, the overall popularity of college football in the south, not just Birmingham, could be seen as a possible reason for ESPN to push for Southern teams to get in the playoff.

Notice I said Southern teams, not just SEC. That's where the ESPN SEC bias theory takes a hit.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

So while it's fair to say that ESPN isn't going to taint its reporting at risk of losing the real big markets like the NE, California, and Denver, it is not fair to pretend that the SEC is void of any desirable markets.
That's a good point - the only top 10 TV market where the SEC is completely dominant is Atlanta (#8) though. Nashville (#29) is probably the next largest SEC dominant city.

The Florida cities are very lucrative, but they are certainly split among the Florida schools. Dallas (#5) and Houston(#10) are very desirable but they're heavily Big 12 and the SEC bias talk began before A&M joined the conference.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

I agree with a lot of the article. Why release a top 25 when there is more than enough work evaluating the top 8 teams and their merit for inclusion. The basketball committee doesn't do it this way. I think he is right the outrage will derail this process pretty quickly.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX

Top 100 TV Market Cities

There are several markets within the Southeast that are worth pursuing. Especially when one looks at Missouri, Texas, Cincinnati, Carolina s, and Florida. I was surprised to see Huntsville/ Decatur on the list.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

If the SEC is more relevant nationally then it's got to be good for ESPN and the SEC Network because college football fans from anywhere in the country are more likely to watch SEC games on TV.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX

The Demographics for the future point toward large population movements in the direction of the Southeastern US. Census Datal

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

He and Herbstreit had a funny conversation about that. What was so funny for me was the fact that they aren't talking about Texas even with the Longhorn network.
Wonder if anyone still watching that Longhorn Network? :D

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

The Demographics for the future point toward large population movements in the direction of the Southeastern US. Census Datal
Interesting graphic. Not to turn this into a political thread, but I couldn't help but notice that the large states that vote Democratic (California, NY, Illinois, Michigan, etc.) are all getting smaller.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

Wonder if anyone still watching that Longhorn Network? :D
Maybe a few people sipping tea when the exclusive games are on. Last I heard they had around 13 million subscribers. Sounds really low, you'd think they could get more than half of the Texas population :biggrin2:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Interesting that the heart of the SEC, Alabama, has 3 of the top 100 TV markets - B'ham, Mobile/Pensecola, and Huntsville/Decatur.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

You're both correct. However, the overall popularity of college football in the south, not just Birmingham, could be seen as a possible reason for ESPN to push for Southern teams to get in the playoff.

Notice I said Southern teams, not just SEC. That's where the ESPN SEC bias theory takes a hit.
I agree and would like to point out that ESPN has a nationwide audience. If they were biased it would be to the nationwide markets -- California, Texas, Pennsylvania, New York (Jersey), Florida and etc. What I mean is they would be promoting a California team, a Texas Team, a Florida Team and, you get the picture. Nationwide population.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.