News Article: Allman Brothers final live show tonight at the Beacon

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Tuesday night at New York City's Beacon Theater, The Allman Brothers Band will play its final show.

But since the band began 45 years ago, they've become known just as well for their tragic stories as for their music, reports CBS News correspondent Anthony Mason.

A legendary live act, The Allman Brothers Band virtually invented southern rock.

"The thing that always impressed me is whenever we hit the stage, there was always that energy and the blood and sweat on the snare drums, and 2 and 1/2, three hours later, these guys are 60 something years old -- it's been an inspiration the whole time," lead guitarist Derek Trucks said.

At 35 years old, he's the youngest member of the band.
One of the greats. Excellent live, I've seen them many times at Merriweather Post Pavilion. My daughters middle names are Melissa and Jessica.
The show is set to air at noon EST Wednesday with rebroadcasts scheduled for tomorrow at 6PM ET; Oct. 30 at midnight ET; Oct. 31 at 6AM and 10PM ET; Nov. 1 at 4AM and 1PM ET; and Nov. 2 at 8AM and 7PM ET on Classic Vinyl on the SiriusXM Channel 26.

clip

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
^^

The last version of the band - with Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes - was outstanding . . . No flash or theatrics, but SERIOUS players.
Hate to see them exit. At least they were able to do it while still being a first-rate band.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
One of the greats. Excellent live, I've seen them many times at Merriweather Post Pavilion. My daughters middle names are Melissa and Jessica.
The show is set to air at noon EST Wednesday with rebroadcasts scheduled for tomorrow at 6PM ET; Oct. 30 at midnight ET; Oct. 31 at 6AM and 10PM ET; Nov. 1 at 4AM and 1PM ET; and Nov. 2 at 8AM and 7PM ET on Classic Vinyl on the SiriusXM Channel 26.

clip
My boss was there last night. I'm so freaking jealous!

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I saw them in the early 80s. Fantastic show. Related: "Live @ Fillmore East" is one of the 1st albums I ever owned. And it's still one of the best, imo.

Also related: saw Warren Haynes' band "Government Mule" a couple of weeks back at a festival over in the MS Delta, & Derek Trucks' group, "Tedesci-Trucks" a couple of years ago at the amphitheater in Tuscaloosa. Both were great.

But the Allman Bros...they set the "in concert" bar very high for me when I was in jr. high listening to "Live @ Fillmore".

Related: short article + vid clip. The clip includes comments by Derek Trucks & Duane Allman's daughter:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/allman-brothers-band-bids-farewell-to-derek-trucks-and-warren-haynes/

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
When Gregg gets married and divorced a couple more times and needs money, they won't make a comeback?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I first saw them in 71, when Duane and B.O were both still alive. I think I have seen them 3 or four times since then, last time was at the jazz fest in N.O. about 22 years ago.
I think it is sad they didn't play their final gig somewhere in the South, and that DB wasn't with them. Nothing against WH or DT, as both are outstanding, but look at the final set list; most of the songs are from the first two albums.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
When Gregg gets married and divorced a couple more times and needs money, they won't make a comeback?
Try and rise above your cynical jealousy! You're envious because he was married to Cher for nine days.

Allman Brothers play some fantastic music.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The Allman Brothers Band Final Show Set List: October 28, 2014
First Set
‘Little Martha’ > ‘Mountain Jam’ > ‘Don’t Want You No More’ > ‘Not My Cross to Bear’ > ‘One Way Out’
‘Good Morning Little Schoolgirl’
‘Midnight Rider’
‘High Cost of Low Living’
‘Hot ‘Lanta’
‘Blue Sky’
‘You Don’t Love Me’

Second Set
‘Statesboro Blues’
‘Ain’t Wastin’ Time No More’
‘Black Hearted Woman’
‘The Sky Is Crying’
‘Dreams’
‘Don’t Keep Me Wonderin”
‘In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed’

Third Set
‘Melissa’
‘Revival’
‘Southbound’
‘Mountain Jam’ > ‘Will the Circle Be Unbroken?’ > ‘Mountain Jam’

Encore
‘Whipping Post’
‘Trouble No More’

Read More: Allman Brothers Say Goodbye With Epic Three-Set Beacon Theatre Show | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/allman-brothers-last-show/?trackback=tsmclip

Last edited:

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Try and rise above your cynical jealousy! You're envious because he was married to Cher for nine days.

Allman Brothers play some fantastic music.
Heh! I don't know how he stood it for nine days!!

I LIKE the Allman Brothers Band. But I also knows how life works. :)

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I first saw them in 71, when Duane and B.O were both still alive. I think I have seen them 3 or four times since then, last time was at the jazz fest in N.O. about 22 years ago.
I think it is sad they didn't play their final gig somewhere in the South, and that DB wasn't with them. Nothing against WH or DT, as both are outstanding, but look at the final set list; most of the songs are from the first two albums.
One of my high school friends lived next to Johnny Sandlin. He saw them play in Johnny's garage.

Never got to see Duane and Berry. Saw them in Huntsville circa 1977.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
One of my high school friends lived next to Johnny Sandlin. He saw them play in Johnny's garage.

Never got to see Duane and Berry. Saw them in Huntsville circa 1977.
saw them at a warehouse june 71, awesome show. got to see gregg and cher backstage at superdome in i think 75, friend was a roadie for wet willie.

bilbo

Pro Sports Moderator
Oct 13, 1999
Gulf Shores, AL
The Allman Brothers Band Final Show Set List: October 28, 2014
First Set
‘Little Martha’ > ‘Mountain Jam’ > ‘Don’t Want You No More’ > ‘Not My Cross to Bear’ > ‘One Way Out’
‘Good Morning Little Schoolgirl’
‘Midnight Rider’
‘High Cost of Low Living’
‘Hot ‘Lanta’
‘Blue Sky’
‘You Don’t Love Me’

Second Set
‘Statesboro Blues’
‘Ain’t Wastin’ Time No More’
‘Black Hearted Woman’
‘The Sky Is Crying’
‘Dreams’
‘Don’t Keep Me Wonderin”
‘In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed’

Third Set
‘Melissa’
‘Revival’
‘Southbound’
‘Mountain Jam’ > ‘Will the Circle Be Unbroken?’ > ‘Mountain Jam’

Encore
‘Whipping Post’
‘Trouble No More’

Read More: Allman Brothers Say Goodbye With Epic Three-Set Beacon Theatre Show | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/allman-brothers-last-show/?trackback=tsmclip

That is one hell of a set!

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Seems appropriate that the final was on the eve on Duane's death on 10/29 of 1971.

Some friends from Bradshaw High in Florence talked me into riding with them to hear the ABB in March of 1970 at Athens State College. They were much more hip than I was. Was only semi-familiar with the band.

It was an eye-opening experience. My previous big-time music experience was James Brown at the Florence Fairgrounds. Thanks, fellows, for the good musical foundation. :)

Was able to see versions of the ABB in 1972 at good ole Memorial Coliseum, a couple of years later at Ladd Stadium in Mobile, then in 2000, 2004, 2009. The last two were the Trucks/Haynes guitar duo version. They were reeeeelly good in 2009.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The only sad thing is, if you look at the set list, when were those songs first recorded/performed by ABB? Way too long ago; Gregg has done a lot of good work on his own, but I do give credence to DB's comments about how, in their final years, they were nothing more than a cover band. The best one around, IMO, but in that current grouping, they did nothing new; yes, DB is a tad bitter, evidently the falling out with Gregg will never heal, but from the histories I have read, DA and DB were the founders, and Gregg was brought back from California to join them.
And no matter how good those final shows were, I got to see them with Duane and Berry, and there is no comparison. I am glad they have decided to hang it up. I still have the music and the memories.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Great thread.

They were my fav. band going into college in '72......saw them live that fall in Tampa with Wet Willie. Got some pics around somewhere I'll try and locate.

"Live at the Fillmore" will never be matched for the pure essence that embodies that band in it's prime.

I have been to Duane and Greg's mom's house in Daytona Beach Shores with a local girl who used to date Greg on a landscaping related consultation, which was pretty cool.

Great memories.....

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Great thread.

They were my fav. band going into college in '72......saw them live that fall in Tampa with Wet Willie. Got some pics around somewhere I'll try and locate.

"Live at the Fillmore" will never be matched for the pure essence that embodies that band in it's prime.

I have been to Duane and Greg's mom's house in Daytona Beach Shores with a local girl who used to date Greg on a landscaping related consultation, which was pretty cool.

Great memories.....
Indeed, my man, and like knowledge, no one can take them away. Life to me is always about making/getting more.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I love the way ABB played several blues styles. In contrast, although I love SRV, he was pretty much straight Texas blues.

That little swing lick that Duane played on the Statesboro intro is so awesome to me.

alabiker

Nov 14, 2013
I lived in Pensacola in the 60's and though I never saw them, they played there as "The Allman Joys" backing up a teen girl group.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Seems appropriate that the final was on the eve on Duane's death on 10/29 of 1971.

Some friends from Bradshaw High in Florence talked me into riding with them to hear the ABB in March of 1970 at Athens State College. They were much more hip than I was. Was only semi-familiar with the band.

It was an eye-opening experience. My previous big-time music experience was James Brown at the Florence Fairgrounds. Thanks, fellows, for the good musical foundation. :)

Was able to see versions of the ABB in 1972 at good ole Memorial Coliseum, a couple of years later at Ladd Stadium in Mobile, then in 2000, 2004, 2009. The last two were the Trucks/Haynes guitar duo version. They were reeeeelly good in 2009.
I saw them at Coleman Coliseum in Fall of 1993. It may have been the Friday before the Homecoming game. Six degrees of separation moment -- my wife has a friend whose dad taught Gregg and Duane Allman at Castle Heights Military Academy in Lebanon, TN.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.