Mark Barron Traded to Rams

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
Would have like too seen the Saints make a move for him, but they can't afford him. I wish him well.

RTR '14

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
"But the 25-year-old Barron reportedly struggled at times in the defensive system implemented by new coach Lovie Smith."

Well that's one way of looking at it...

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Thank goodness the BUCS SUCK!!!
As do the Rams.
Interesting the Bucs only wanted a 4th and 6th round pick for him. If I had to guess, they feel like he's reached his ceiling as a good, but not game-changing, safety. If this is the case, I feel it's a little premature. Hopefully the trade will tick him off and he'll play even better.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
As do the Rams.
Interesting the Bucs only wanted a 4th and 6th round pick for him. If I had to guess, they feel like he's reached his ceiling as a good, but not game-changing, safety. If this is the case, I feel it's a little premature. Hopefully the trade will tick him off and he'll play even better.
Well not as bad as the BUCS though. CJF is a much better coach. Barron will do fine with the Rams.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Has he had a single winning season in STL? I was under the impression this was his last season...
Idk...seriously the BUCS are hopelessly terrible. He is a good player to begin with and imo should do better there. Remember the Rams play in the TOUGHEST division in the NFL.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Has he had a single winning season in STL? I was under the impression this was his last season...
I don't think so, he hasn't had a healthy QB , I think he will get a pass, Bradford will be gone. The GM Les Snead May be fired for sticking with Bradford, but I think fisher gets another year

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Hopefully, Mark Barron will do better in St. Louis. I was hoping the 49ers would pick him up, and eventually pair him with Eric Reid in the defensive backfield. That would've been nice, Reid has been a solid player.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
When the trade was announced yesterday, the reaction on Twitter was fun to watch. The immediate reaction was "Barron is a bust" or "Bama DBs just haven't done well" or "They only got a fourth and sixth round pick for a seventh overall pick?" After a few minutes to digest the details, folks started thinking about the schemes of the two teams. Barron was playing more free safety in Lovie's Cover 2, but folks feel like he's better suited to play in the box as a strong safety in Greg Williams' scheme.

Also appears the new regime in Tampa wants to get rid of the previous regime's guys and bring in their own players.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Success in the NFL, I feel, is more about the fit between the scheme and the player, than just the talent. You have to be talented for sure to play in the NFL, but if you're in the wrong scheme, you stick out like a sore thumb. Additionally, there's a huge gap between the players that simply work at their craft in the NFL and the ones that do not. I feel like some teams just go for the highest rated player without any consideration for their scheme, which makes them and the player look bad eventually.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Success in the NFL, I feel, is more about the fit between the scheme and the player, than just the talent. You have to be talented for sure to play in the NFL, but if you're in the wrong scheme, you stick out like a sore thumb. Additionally, there's a huge gap between the players that simply work at their craft in the NFL and the ones that do not. I feel like some teams just go for the highest rated player without any consideration for their scheme, which makes them and the player look bad eventually.
The Oakland Raiders say "Hi."

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Lovie Smith's system was a bad fit for the type of safety Barron plays like. It would be like asking Polomalu to be 10-15 yards from the LOS every play.

Easportsbama

Jan 30, 2009
I was hoping the Titans would make a move......Pollard is out for the season, and Griffin might as well be. Michael Griffin is terrible!!!

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
When the trade was announced yesterday, the reaction on Twitter was fun to watch. The immediate reaction was "Barron is a bust" or "Bama DBs just haven't done well" or "They only got a fourth and sixth round pick for a seventh overall pick?" After a few minutes to digest the details, folks started thinking about the schemes of the two teams. Barron was playing more free safety in Lovie's Cover 2, but folks feel like he's better suited to play in the box as a strong safety in Greg Williams' scheme.

Also appears the new regime in Tampa wants to get rid of the previous regime's guys and bring in their own players.
Yep...the scheme didn't fit Barron's skillset so why pay him first-round money or wait until his second contract comes to trade him? However they are assuming Lovie will be there more than two years, which I'm not so sure of. If Lovie goes after 2015 and Barron becomes a star in St. Louis, the Bucs are going to feel very stupid.

Funny thing is, he will be the Roman Harper of Gregg Williams' scheme. IMO it's a good opportunity for Barron, not only to escape a terrible franchise and play in a system that benefits clock-cleaning safeties, but also to be in a situation where the coaching staff and fanbase has reasonable expectations for him. Rams' fans should be much more patient with him as they didn't give up all that much. Bucs fans had kind of turned on him.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Roman Harper had some great seasons under the Rams' DC while he was on the Saints staff. He'll be in the box a lot and blitz a decent bit for a safety.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.