Week 1 College football playoff poll released

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
A record of 2-2.
In 2010, Oregon defeated Tennessee 48-13.
Also in 2010, Oregon lost to the Barn 22-19.
In 2011, Oregon lost to LSU 40-27.
In 2013, Oregon defeated Tennessee 59-14.

The bad news for the Ducks is that Tennessee is probably not going to be in the playoff this year.
I laughed and I'm sitting here actually defending their spot right now in other posts.

I really can't figure out why an ORE fan wants to come here and trash talk or quack about being 1 spot ahead of us when they have Stanford coming up.....you know....the Stanford they have lost 2 years in a row to. I'd be focused on them.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm calling BS on that. I don't think coach Bryant ever turned down a challenge. He changed with the times and would have adjusted and planned on being in that game!
You can call it what ever you want, but we don't know how Bryant would have adjusted with the times, we can only assume. I'm saying though, if you took that Bear Bryant, which clearly is who you were referring to, he'd sure as hell bristle at the notion of a 15 game schedule with 95 scholarship players. He's one of the reasons they put the limit in place, he loved stockpiling talent, so we can't pretend he'd like operating within that limitation, and given the way he liked to do substitutions, we can also assume that would further negatively impact him.

My point is that summoning the ghost of Bear Bryant as a response to everything isn't really all that valid.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Last SEC team played the score was something like 59-17. I forgot the exact score.
You mean the team that has won 7 SEC games in 5 years or the team that Bama has beaten 8 years in a row?

Please don't tell me we have an Oregon fan on this board.
They've had one chance at a national title in the last one thousand years, and they lost to a team that we blew the game to.
Tennessee? He's bragging about a win over recent Tennessee?
I'll just say this. I hope it works out to where we play them in the national title game.
Go Ducks! I hope you guys win that incredibly tough conference you play in and get your shot at us.
Quack.
sip
Unfortunately. Where are the Robertson's when you need them?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Please don't tell me we have an Oregon fan on this board.
They've had one chance at a national title in the last one thousand years, and they lost to a team that we blew the game to.
Tennessee? He's bragging about a win over recent Tennessee?
I'll just say this. I hope it works out to where we play them in the national title game.
Go Ducks! I hope you guys win that incredibly tough conference you play in and get your shot at us.
Quack.
sip
They may still have those green "We Want Bama!" T-shirts they can wear to the game.

bogeypro

Scout Team
Oct 25, 2005
Ole Miss lost to LSU (ranked 19), Oregon lost at home to unranked Arizona, both are ahead of Alabama, who lost to Ole Miss (ranked 7 at the time) not the road. Seems like Alabama loss was better than the Ole Miss and Oregon loss, but they are ranked ahead? Yea, that makes sense.... Even if you aren't an Alabama fan, you have to admit that doesn't add up...

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
It's not the committees job to say who "would win" just who "did win." The main difference here is not that Alabama lost to an undefeated top 5 team and Ole Miss lost to a 2 loss team, the difference is that Alabama lost to Ole Miss.
No, it's the committees job to say who are the best 4 teams in the country right now. AP says Bama is, Coaches poll says Bama is, but not the committee?!?!?!

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Why would you want to sit around and watch other teams play for a conference championship and not have Bama playing?
Because conference titles are mostly meaningless to elite programs that care about national titles - they're just a means to an end and help guarantee a seat in the playoffs.

To be clear, I think that playing for and winning the conference championship will probably be necessary if Oregon and Michigan state win their conference championship games and have only one loss.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Beat LSU in at night in Death Valley and you pulled off something Ole Miss couldn't.

We could probably sit out the SEC Championship and be alright IF Ole Miss won out, played and won. Otherwise I'm not so sure. Honestly, I'd feel a little weird getting rewarded for the team that beat us getting knocked out by playing an extra championship.

(Not so weird I wouldn't take it, mind you.)

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I really didn't expect Alabama to be ahead of Ole Sis. I guess the Barn were put ahead of us because of their win at Kansas State. We'll take care of the Barn at the Iron Bowl. I'm not that concerned right now. It's the last poll by these 12 interests me a whole lot more

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
This seems pretty fair if you compare the schedules to date (looking only at top 6). The barn has better wins than us, even though their loss is worse. Ole miss beat us head to head. Oregon will face a few decent teams out west.

As as others said, we play two ahead of us still. If we take care of business, we should be in the top 4. We still control our destiny. That is the main point. Who cares if we aren't top 4 right now? finishing the regular season in the top 4 is all that matters.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
You can call it what ever you want, but we don't know how Bryant would have adjusted with the times, we can only assume. I'm saying though, if you took that Bear Bryant, which clearly is who you were referring to, he'd sure as hell bristle at the notion of a 15 game schedule with 95 scholarship players. He's one of the reasons they put the limit in place, he loved stockpiling talent, so we can't pretend he'd like operating within that limitation, and given the way he liked to do substitutions, we can also assume that would further negatively impact him.

My point is that summoning the ghost of Bear Bryant as a response to everything isn't really all that valid.
Coach Bryant is The University of Alabama, that is why I brought him up. Almost everything in Tuscaloosa is named after him. He was first and foremost a competitor. If he were alive, he would want to play for an SEC Championship vs sitting at home.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
Not all that bad of a record for how ruthlessly Oregon gets smeared by SEC fans. Lost to championship winning Auburn by only 3 after a fluke play by them. Lost to championship bound LSU, who also happened to beat a championship Alabama team in the regular season.
So what you're saying is ORE has never beaten a ranked SEC team OR an SEC team with a winning record.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Not all that bad of a record for how ruthlessly Oregon gets smeared by SEC fans. Lost to championship winning Auburn by only 3 after a fluke play by them. Lost to championship bound LSU, who also happened to beat a championship Alabama team in the regular season.
Tennessee in those two years went 6-7 and 5-7. Not the best teams UT has ever put on the field.
You may have mistaken this for a smack-talk board. That is not the case. If you wish to continue smack talk, I'd expect to hear from the mods shortly, followed by a nice vacation from Tidefans.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'm a little amused that Ole Miss basically gets a free pass with there loss to LSU.

Let's see, Oregon lost to an unranked team, OM lost to a team barely in the top 25 and both are ahead of Bama who lost to a top 10 team. That makes perfect sense.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I'm not sure how flexible Coach Bryant would be at 102 years of age. At that age he might not even remember that he coached at Alabama or any where else.

In his PRIME, he just may have gone from a Pro set to the wishbone to the HUNH offense. He would have had assistants burning the midnight oil preparing a Defense against that offense. His hair would have been as white as snow preparing to defend the HUNH offense.

For the Wishbone, he went to Coach D. Royal. To learn the HUNH, where would he have looked for advise?

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
That would be Tennessee- a team that was 1-7 in the SEC last year. Congratulations . And you played them at home. Win something before you come on here talking any smack at all.
Last SEC team played the score was something like 59-17. I forgot the exact score.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
So, TCU is 7th, Michigan State is 8th, Kansas State is 9th and ND is 10th. Wow. OSU is 16th. So The way I look at it, if Miss State, Florida loses a game.. they'll fall to between 5th and 8th, and It seems that OSU, ND virtually has no chance if they win out. Michigan state looks to have a slim chance.. wow!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.