Week 1 College football playoff poll released

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yes, we lost the game 3 weeks ago, but looking at the top 4 teams TODAY, Bama is clearly a better team than Ole Miss.

But you wouldn't be saying that if the situation was reversed is my point.

And how did we suddenly become the better team? The last time I looked, we hadn't yet played LSU.

Ole Miss lost by 3 just three days ago.

Maybe they're better now than they were three days ago. And btw - if you think we're better without Drake than with him, then I have nothing else to say.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
If you wanna see true melt down go read Irish Envy :)
Yes, I went over there to observe. Can't link, language is bad, but they are not happy. The most obvious anger is towards Ole Miss. They don't see them being where they are. Then Auburn's position upset them. Lastly, they do not understand Michigan State being ranked ahead of them. I don't post there, of course, but it was fun to snoop.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
I'm with you Selma. It's making me want to bang my head into a wall. I've tried to explain the scenario as politely as possible but it's not hitting home for a couple people.

Maybe your direct approach will take ;)
Ok, so the AP voters who have Bama over Ole Miss are idiots and the coaches who have Bama over Ole Miss in their poll are idiots too??? Gentlemen, its about when you lose. If you lose earlier in the season, you have a better opportunity to move up than losing later.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Btw - I hope everyone who was saying, "they'll never put two teams from the same conference in the playoff" and all that other stuff is at least having an attack of conscience.

Doesn't make the committee any better of an idea but given all the whining around here, I think a tad bit of remorse is justified. Oh that's right....they only did this because this one doesn't count, right?

Jeez...
2 teams from the SEC is not outta of the question and I have never said that. I just think its way too early to assume that they keep the rankings this way. Im more optimistic about two from the same conference in it,but until I see a few selection rankings I'm more concerned about getting to Atlanta than sitting at home on championship weekend on pins and needles. But it is a good sign so far.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
But you wouldn't be saying that if the situation was reversed is my point.

And how did we suddenly become the better team? The last time I looked, we hadn't yet played LSU.

Ole Miss lost by 3 just three days ago.

Maybe they're better now than they were three days ago. And btw - if you think we're better without Drake than with him, then I have nothing else to say.
Yes we are a better team now, Drake or no Drake, The defense has improved and Sims is getting better each game. You really think we are not a better team today than we were 3 weeks ago? We have a young team and they are coming together at the right time!

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Sir -we lost the damned football game.

Quit acting like an Auburn fan as if that didn't happen.

You and I both know that if we had beaten them, you'd be screaming bloody murder about how we had already proven it head to head.

Have a bit of consistency please.
I'm with you Selma. It's making me want to bang my head into a wall. I've tried to explain the scenario as politely as possible but it's not hitting home for a couple people.

Maybe your direct approach will take ;)

Here is the problem I have. The committee isn't being consistent. I guess we will see. IF Bama beats LSU in Baton Rouge and doesn't jump to#4 then something is wrong. There will be no other way to put it .

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Disagree. This is not smack talk, but A&M is garbage compared to Michigan State. Our signature win is more significant so far. Obviously you have several chances left ahead of you to get some significant wins.
Maybe, but I am curious as to how Michigan State would have looked if they had to play Miss state, ole miss, and Alabama Back to back to back. Because that's what A&M had to go through, and two of those three were on the road.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Disagree. This is not smack talk, but A&M is garbage compared to Michigan State. Our signature win is more significant so far. Obviously you have several chances left ahead of you to get some significant wins.
Look....I'm one of the ones defending your teams current position so personally where the Ducks are doesn't bother me. I get it....Wins vs #8 Mich St and #22 UCLA and lost to #12 'Zona on the road while we (Bama) have (only) the win against #20 WVU and the loss to #4 Ole Miss.

We both have ONE quality loss and you have ONE more quality win by team rankings. I get it....I'm understanding the committee logic.

But you coming on here 'poking' people with a 'stick' because your team from 1,000's of miles across the country is ONE spot ahead of us in the rankings is juvenile at best and I can't say what it is at worst.

Don't worry if Oregon wins out they have a spot.....If Bama wins out we have a spot. We can find out then who's better. Until then worry about Stanford. They have 2 in a row on you right now so I'd make that a priority.

Last edited:

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Ok, so the AP voters who have Bama over Ole Miss are idiots and the coaches who have Bama over Ole Miss in their poll are idiots too??? Gentlemen, its about when you lose. If you lose earlier in the season, you have a better opportunity to move up than losing later.
The committee is going by who currently has the best resume - that factors in quality wins, quality losses and bad losses. At the end of the year, apparently conference championships will factor in as well.

Right now, Ole Miss currently has a slightly better resume - if Alabama beats LSU then that will change.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm not downing Oregon here as much as I'm downing the the committee members who think State beating A&M by 17, and Ole Miss beating A&M by 15 is more impressive than Bama turning in a 59-0 totally dominating performance.
We could have won that game 100-0 had Coach Saban not called off the dogs.
If the committee had watched as much football as they claim they watch, they would have seen it.
sip

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
The committee is going by who currently has the best resume - that factors in quality wins, quality losses and bad losses. At the end of the year, apparently conference championships will factor in as well.

Right now, Ole Miss currently has a slightly better resume - if Alabama beats LSU then that will change.
The committee should use their heads and look at who are the best 4 teams in the country right now. That is how the AP and Coaches poll do it. Why is that so hard to understand? This is the same argument Kirk Herbstreit used and I totally agree.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
I'm not downing Oregon here as much as I'm downing the the committee members who think State beating A&M by 17, and Ole Miss beating A&M by 15 is more impressive than Bama turning in a 59-0 totally dominating performance.
If the committee had watched as much football as they claim they watch, they would have seen it.
sip
You had a great shut out win. I would love to have your team's defense. Ours is less than stellar.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
sip
Sip, I think you and I are the only ones that agree on this thread :)

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I don't think either are 'idiots' but I would say they are too drastic in how they react to wins and losses when shuffling teams around week to week. The AP more-so than the Coaches.

I'll also say that Ole Miss 'Should' be ahead of us in those polls too. Maybe by JUST the 1 spot but I'm sorry the head-to-head matters. It also wasn't 2 months ago....it was THIS month...Oct 4th at 2:30 for everyone to watch. It's still fresh in people's minds.

Now if we beat LSU in 11 days IN Death Valley AFTER Ole Miss didn't then I'm sure that will trump the head-to-head. But right now it doesn't.....it just doesn't. I can not think of any other way to explain it. We have identical records and they BEAT us straight up....THIS month.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
I'm happy we appear to have a shot at the final 4 if we win out, but I will wait until there are some losses before trusting that the committee will either keep winners in place or move them up if there's a loss ahead of them. The way it looks now we might could win out and still get in even if OM continues to win, especially if they win the SEC, but we wouldn't have that extra game in that case which may hurt us. Really, the bottom line is/should be: if we do win out our quality wins should by far trump any 1 loss team. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Yes, I'm pulling for Auburn over OM, but not enough to yell W-- Eag--.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think it's encouraging that running up the score or margin of victory isn't really that important !

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I really didn't expect Alabama to be ahead of Ole Sis. I guess the Barn were put ahead of us because of their win at Kansas State. We'll take care of the Barn at the Iron Bowl. I'm not that concerned right now. It's the last poll by these 12 interests me a whole lot more
To me, the two big surprises would have to be how high Ole Miss was, and how low Notre Dame was. But all in all that's good for the SEC. I think they set a fairly good precedent, that quality wins matter. I can live with that, and Alabama's potential quality wins mainly lie ahead of them.

If he were alive, he would want to play for an SEC Championship vs sitting at home.
You can't know that, we don't even know what he'd think of the SEC championship game (was that sort of thing ever even raised when he was around?). It's easy to say he'd like it, but why should he? May be he'd see it as a disadvantage since not every conference has one, it's all speculation. You can however go find some Nick Saban quotes and probably deduce how he feels about the matter.

I don't really care what either think about it though (neither would publicly state they don't want to play in the SECCG, but go ask Nick Saban if that was a major issue in 2011), I'm just going with statistical probabilities which is what I've gone with the whole time. Don't get me wrong, if you could guarantee Alabama a spot in the SECCG I'd take that this instant, but only because that would mean getting past LSU/Miss. State/Auburn.
If you wanna see true melt down go read Irish Envy :)
I kind of feel bad for them, but who have they beaten? The funny thing is the committee is probably thinking more like we've wanted the polls think for years. They're not just ranking a team high because of hype. I still don't like 'em, but it's possible I learn to live with them.
So, bottom line, the team that Las Vegas has favored on a neutral field over every other team in CFB , and ESPN statistical metrics and Sagarins computer ranks #1 , is ranked 6th by the committee. My only concern really is if they came to that conclusion honestly. If so, no problem. Wonder if the fact that one fourth of the committee is PAC12 kept Oregon where they were.
I do think there is committee bias, and I do think (and I stated as much) that the committee is a bit slanted towards the Pac-12. I think that helped Oregon certainly, but I don't mind the precedent that appeared to do it. Quality wins. That's what it looks like to all observers, so as long as that's the criteria then it all makes sense. Alabama has one quality win, but three potential quality wins upcoming, which should be all they need.

I will confess that it bothers me a bit that total SoS isn't as much of a factor. But... I debated an exhaustive SoS breakdown once, in which a big part of my argument would be that SoS actually didn't matter much beyond a top 30 team. Essentially, that no championship contender loses to a team below that anyway. The main hiccup here is that the committee's top 30 is different than say Sagarin's (which actually has Alabama as 3-1 against the top 30). So, I'd like to see things lean a bit more towards recognizing that the record of your opponent isn't all that matters and if that was the case, Alabama would already be ahead of Oregon.

Also, let me point out that since LSU is considered a quality win, if Alabama beats them, they might very well jump Oregon and Ole Miss, we don't know yet how that might be viewed. If they go with the hardcore BCS quality win stuff, beating a team can keep it from being a quality win, kind of like Alabama beating Texas A&M.

Last edited:

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
I don't think either are 'idiots' but I would say they are too drastic in how they react to wins and losses when shuffling teams around week to week. The AP more-so than the Coaches.

I'll also say that Ole Miss 'Should' be ahead of us in those polls too. Maybe by JUST the 1 spot but I'm sorry the head-to-head matters. It also wasn't 2 months ago....it was THIS month...Oct 4th at 2:30 for everyone to watch. It's still fresh in people's minds.

Now if we beat LSU in 11 days IN Death Valley AFTER Ole Miss didn't then I'm sure that will trump the head-to-head. But right now it doesn't.....it just doesn't. I can not think of any other way to explain it. We have identical records and they BEAT us straight up....THIS month.
It's when you lose, we lost early, had convincing wins since then while Ole Miss lost to a #21, 2 loss team. That makes a huge difference as the AP and Coaches voters realize. I am worried about the committee's decision making.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.