Week 1 College football playoff poll released

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Disagree. This is not smack talk, but A&M is garbage compared to Michigan State. Our signature win is more significant so far. Obviously you have several chances left ahead of you to get some significant wins.
I'd bet $100 that WVU would beat MSU. WVU's offense is the real deal, and they have held Baylor to season lows in yardage and points. They gave up 46 to Oregon, and 31 to Perdue, so its not like they have a great defense.

Who has MSU beat to prove them being worthy of a signature win? They've beat one decent team - Nebraska by 5 points. Otherwise they've played Jacksonville St, Perdue, Indiana, Wyoming, Eastern Mich, and Michigan. That is a paper tiger if I saw one...

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
My first reaction...good. I think Alabama/Saban performs better when we have something to prove. I personally love a ....ed off Bama football team!!

The barn will beat olè miss especially with ndemdiche being out. After that, if we take care of business the rest of the season then we are in.

We are still in the game. RTR

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Has anyone noticed that all 5 pac 12 teams are ranked higher than their AP ranking?

Interesting.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ok, so the AP voters who have Bama over Ole Miss are idiots and the coaches who have Bama over Ole Miss in their poll are idiots too??? Gentlemen, its about when you lose.
There's some great reasoning!!!

It don't matter that you beat the other guy head to head......regular season games the last week of October are more "must win" than those the first week of October......yeah, perfect sense (rolls eyes, face palms self)

And those other polls are myths anyway - it's time you accept that.

If you lose earlier in the season, you have a better opportunity to move up than losing later.
By what logic? How does that undo a head to head loss?

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
This must be your first year of watching college football. Welcome aboard!
Actually, he is correct. Miss should be ranked ahead of us at this point. If we both win out they go to the SECCG. So even the SEC system has them ranked ahead of us right now.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
You believe that, and I have beach front property to sell you in Tennessee. Coach Saban is smarter than that, I am sure he is interested in how this committee thinks.
If you've read Coach Saban's book you would understand that he's not interested in things he can't control. He is not interested in setting goals it's about following a process of doing what you're supposed to be doing. Hence his statement about winning the last four games. He is not about focusing on results, because if you follow the process the results take care of themselves !

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
It's when you lose, we lost early, had convincing wins since then while Ole Miss lost to a #21, 2 loss team. That makes a huge difference as the AP and Coaches voters realize. I am worried about the committee's decision making.
It's still 'early' relatively and our loss to THEM is only separated by 3 weeks. The Head-to-Head trumps the timing right now. I honestly don't know where you are getting 'convincing' wins from either.

The objective viewer sees we lost to OM, slopped around with the hogs and escaped 14-13, DESTROYED Tamu, and struggled to finish a winless in conference UT team. That's ONE impressive win, 2 sloppy wins, and a loss.

OM just lost their 1st game 10-7 in the toughest environment to play in (Baton Rouge @ Night) to an LSU team who's only lost to #1 MSU and 3#AU.

Their loss is fresher yes but their resume looks a tad better to the objective viewer gauging things by quality wins, quality losses and head to head battles.

No matter what though, no matter the timing, if you take two teams who play in the same conference let alone the same division and they are identically 7-1.....the winner of the head-head SHOULD get the nod.

If the situations were reversed and we beat Ole Miss(who beat LSU to be 7-1) this year and we were 8-0 right now but lost to LSU next and Ole Miss jumped us with both being 8-1 and us having won the head to head you'd be flipping out that Ole Miss jumped us right? I mean in that scenario we beat them and have the same 8-1 record. Your not being objective.

Last edited:

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham

It don't matter that you beat the other guy head to head......regular season games the last week of October are more "must win" than those the first week of October......yeah, perfect sense (rolls eyes, face palms self)

Why is it so hard to understand that the point of this is putting the best 4 teams together. After watching Bama the last two weeks and watching Ole Miss last week, how can you say Ole Miss deserves to be ahead of Bama when you know Bama is the better team right now? I don't care what happened 3 weeks ago, we are talking about now. Had Ole Miss not lost to LSU last week, then of course they should have been ahead.

Why are the AP and Coaches poll have us at #3 and the committee has us at #6??? When the AP and coaches poll have been the most reliable over the last 60 years and the committee is brand new. Something doesn't add up here.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Actually what HAPPENS head to head matters more than what can SPECULATE what we think about two teams today. Bama is better than 3 weeks ago, but we haven't beaten good teams the past three weeks either. The contention that, "We beat A&M by 59 and OM beat them by 15. Thus we are better."OR saying that OM lost to a team we haven't played yet shows we are better than them is absurd. If the committee was using this type of reasoning I'd be concerned. OM beat Bama straight up. Saying that Bama is better than them right now is not true. Right now, they deserve to be ranked higher. We also need some perspective too- it's only week 8. Bama controls its own destiny. In a few weeks if Bama is 11-1 and OM is 10-2 Bama would deserve to be ranked higher. Better body of work plus a better record.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Bama has to play #19, #3 and #1 to finish the year. It doesn't matter what Ole Miss or anyone else does. Bama will be, at worst, 4th in the CFP final poll. You'd have FSU, Ole Miss (if they win out, or UGA if they win put) and then Oregon ahead of Bama at the absolute worst. TCU (57th remaining SOS) or Michigan State (77th ranked remaining SOS) won't jump Bama.

Personally, I don't think we will win out, but if we do we are most certainly in.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
It's still 'early' relatively and our loss to THEM is only separated by 3 weeks. The Head-to-Head trumps the timing right now. I honestly don't know where you are getting 'convincing' wins from either.

The objective viewer sees we lost to OM, slopped around with the hogs and escaped 14-13, DESTROYED Tamu, and struggled to finish a winless in conference UT team. That's ONE impressive win, 2 sloppy wins, and a loss.

OM just lost their 1st game 10-7 in the toughest environment to play in (Baton Rouge @ Night) to an LSU team who's only lost to #1 MSU and 3#AU.

Their loss is fresher yes but their resume looks a tad better to the objective viewer gauging things by quality wins, quality losses and head to head battles.

No matter what though, no matter the timing, if you take two teams who play in the same conference let alone the same division and they are identically 7-1.....the winner of the head-head SHOULD get the nod.

If the situations were reversed and we beat Ole Miss(who beat LSU to be 7-1) this year and we were 8-0 right now but lost to LSU next and Ole Miss jumped us with both being 8-1 and us having won the head to head you'd be flipping out that Ole Miss jumped us right? I mean in that scenario we beat them and have the same 8-1 record. Your not being objective.
Yea right, ask Auburn about the toughest environment to play in!

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

Great post. You cant use logic with the illogical.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Actually what HAPPENS head to head matters more than what can SPECULATE what we think about two teams today. Bama is better than 3 weeks ago, but we haven't beaten good teams the past three weeks either. The contention that, "We beat A&M by 59 and OM beat them by 15. Thus we are better."OR saying that OM lost to a team we haven't played yet shows we are better than them is absurd. If the committee was using this type of reasoning I'd be concerned. OM beat Bama straight up. Saying that Bama is better than them right now is not true. Right now, they deserve to be ranked higher. We also need some perspective too- it's only week 8. Bama controls its own destiny. In a few weeks if Bama is 11-1 and OM is 10-2 Bama would deserve to be ranked higher. Better body of work plus a better record.
No it doesn't, what matters is who are the best 4 teams now. You want to stick with an Ole Miss team that lost to a 2 loss #21 LSU team, have fun with that!

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
No it doesn't, what matters is who are the best 4 teams now. You want to stick with an Ole Miss team that lost to a 2 loss #21 LSU team, have fun with that!
As an Alabama fan I would be irate if Bama beat Ole Miss in BDS and then lost to a quickly improving LSU team in Baton Rouge at night the day the head coach's mother died and then Ole Miss was ahead in the polls.

I don't mind Ole Miss being ranked ahead of Bama right now. If Bama beats LSU in Tiger Stadium and then humbles Mississippi State I would say Bama deserves to be ranked ahead of Ole Miss, but for now it's silly to just state "Alabama is better than Ole Miss".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.