Week 1 College football playoff poll released

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Alabama's path to the playoffs pretty much means if Bama gets in then there will be only one SEC team. It is kinda better for the conference as a whole for Bama to falter. I guess I'm kinda assuming Auburn beats Ole Miss this weekend though.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
Eh, they have the best win off one-loss teams by their poll...quality wins seemingly mean a lot to the committee. Again, this solves itself this weekend: Oregon has Stanford (who have haunted the ducks lately); #3 v. #4 face off. Oregon will be top 4 next week with a win.
I know 99.8% of Tide fans will be rooting for Stanford, lol.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't mind the Ducks but I will admit that Stanford's style is less jarring from a Bama fan's perspective. Stanford has some problems though. They just can't cash in yards for points.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Keeping Ole Miss, who just lost to a barely ranked LSU in the playoff brackets, would probably qualify as SEC bias if it exists. I'm fine with Auburn who lost to Miss State, and Miss State, but Ole Miss? No. They don't belong there at this point in time.
It's not just the losses, it's also the wins. The Alabama win in the Ole Miss column trumps anything in anyone's column. Like WVU in Bama's. Or Michigan State and UCLA in Oregon's.

Show me a team below Ole Miss that deserves to be above Ole Miss.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Come on oregonbltzkrieg, you know us better than that. We would never wish that upon you.
The biggest problem most of us have with Oregon is a game they lost.

I was with a group of Alabama fans that cheered a guy in an Oregon shirt. But, Oregon proved that yet again, they're just not fit for the national stage. After that when Oregon fans popped up and ran their mouths about how good their team was, it became kind of insufferable. They're good against mediocre teams.

It's not just the losses, it's also the wins. The Alabama win in the Ole Miss column trumps anything in anyone's column. Like WVU in Bama's. Or Michigan State and UCLA in Oregon's.

That chart puts things into perspective quite well and I think explains what might even be an overly simplistic approach by the committee, but it's hard to argue with too much.

Alabama and Auburn have the toughest upcoming games, and the winner will be propelled into the top 4 unless they have another loss before then. The Big 12 is done for unless there's only a single undefeated/one loss SEC team left, and the same goes for the Big 10, even giving Michigan State credit for a quality win in their championship game, they can't possibly have more than 3. Oregon could have up to 4, but they wouldn't be as good as what Alabama or Auburn could have. Kansas State could have 4 to, but the loss to Auburn kind of defers to the SEC West.

The other thing is they did kind of give Alabama the benefit of a doubt because of the quality of the loss and the manner in which they did it. If they really were dead set against Alabama, they could have said that TCU's win over Oklahoma was better, or Michigan State's win against Nebraska was better.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I'm still not liking this committee though they make a good point on some things. It will all shake out in the end though. The end, is what I am most afraid of and not the beginning.
Exactly, but they have painted themselves into a corner if both the barn and the cowbells win out. Don't see any way they could avoid having both in, and don't see any way they could seed them 1-4 or 2-3 to avoid the potential rematch in the NCG. Bama needs to do them a big favor and beat both. :biggrin2:

Last edited:
Exactly, but they have painted themselves into a corner if both the barn and the cowbells win out. Don't see any way they could avoid having both in, and don't see any way they could seed them 1-4 or 2-3 to avoid the potential rematch in the NCG. Bama needs to do them a big favor and beat both. :biggrin2:
Their word is law remember, you can't use logic. ;)

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham

Alabama because we have a better loss and we lost earlier in the season. Bama is playing better while Ole Miss is playing worse. 2 teams headed in opposite directions.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I have a feeling we will get jumped by TCU. They now have ranked wins over Oklahoma and West Virginia to our only one ranked win of West Virginia..

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Come on, UCLA? Really, the gators would beat UCLA. HECK, THe gators could very easily be
7-1 . THey had LSU beaten, then had them tied in regulation and then gave that away. Won't even discuss the loss to MIZZOU. Teams have beaten them, no team has dominated them like in Tuscaloosa. Gators should at least be 5-3, if not for the canceled game.

A lot of metrics favor teams other than Ole Miss. One win does not make a season. Alabama can't play themselves, so we will never be able to trump that.

Can't believe this thread is still be argued.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.