Week 1 College football playoff poll released

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Ok, so why did we not get consideration for our starting center being hurt? My opinion of this committee can not be expressed properly on this forum. I have no faith this committee will get the top four correct at this point. If we win out and still do not get in, it will be an end to a great era known as college football, IMO.

With this injured player crap the Committee considers, they are predicting the future!!!!
Just curious, for conversation sake...are you saying we should be ahead of Oregon?

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Some of y'all are acting like this is the final ranking. Step away from the ledge over Oregon being ranked ahead of us, how Alabama didn't get credit for losing Ryan Kelly, how we should be in the top four right now.

We just need to be in the top four. Given how this season has played out thus far, I'm not sure there will be much of tangible difference between #1 and #4, even if #1 is undefeated. The Florida State-Notre Dame game showed that between the #2 and #10 teams in the country, the difference is a controversial pass interference/pick call. Furthermore, both semi-final games will be neutral site games. Finally, and I'll say until I'm blue in the face, Alabama has the best schedule with which to move into the top four in the end. What I mean is not that it's the easiest schedule, but if Alabama wins out, we will have played LSU away (currently #19), MSU (currently #1), Auburn (currently #3), and Georgia (currently #11). Alabama wins out with that slate, then Alabama will most definitely have a much better body of work than Oregon, Florida State, or anyone else.

I'm treating the rankings like this: the CFP Top 25 is how they ranked the teams as they stand right now. Being honest, Alabama's best win is against West Virginia. It would've been against Ole Miss (even with the LSU loss) had Alabama won in Ole Miss, but that didn't happen. The big wins against Florida and Texas A&M mean nothing as neither team is currently in the CFP Top 25. That's fine, because the top four are not determined by the first set of rankings. AD Long said that all teams start with a clean sheet next week after this weekend's games are done, and I'd say there's a slight chance Alabama may drop a spot simply because Alabama isn't playing this weekend - we'll see.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
Ok, so why did we not get consideration for our starting center being hurt? My opinion of this committee can not be expressed properly on this forum. I have no faith this committee will get the top four correct at this point. If we win out and still do not get in, it will be an end to a great era known as college football, IMO.

With this injured player crap the Committee considers, they are predicting the future!!!!
Not only the starting center but Drake and Denzel Devall who were also starters.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
They only matter if Ole Miss goes undefeated. Because this committee is not going to allow a non conference winning Bama team in this playoff! Even though Bama is a better team.
I agree and this poll means nothing. Remember part of the poll is to take into account conference championships. This first ballot can't possibly take those into account because there are no conference champions. The poll will change after the first weekend in December not just because a lot of games have been played since now and then but because conference champions will be known. Only true way for Bama to be assured of punching its ticket is through Atlanta, which requires another Ole Miss loss. I actually think Ole Miss will lose two (Miss State and Auburn) but that is not assured and neither is our place in the playoff.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I laugh at all the supposed anti-SEC bias: Three of the top four, baby. Haha

I still say we win out we're in the playoff no matter what else happens.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Nightmare scenario (I will will seriously consider all available options if):
Barn beats OM
Bama beats msu*
ga beats barn
om beats msu
(god help me) barn beats bama
What happens then? Do the fans of all 4 west teams commit group harakiri? One of them will have to beat ga, then all teams in the sec have at least two losses. What a nightmare.

*assuming bama beats the who's, and none lose to any other teams.
I think this rematches UGA & the Barn in the SECCG

briancm

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2003
Sheffield, AL USA
Just curious, for conversation sake...are you saying we should be ahead of Oregon?
Not sure if I would take that stand or not, but they have always been about flash and not substance, IMO. I don't care for their brand for football. I still think we could beat them. I don't think they would win many games if they had the SEC West on their schedule. With that in mind, I think they should be in the top 15 or top 10, but not the top 5.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
This would all make a lot of sense, if they didn't put Miss. State at #1, Auburn at #3 and Ole Miss at #4. If this was indeed set up to prevent 2 SEC teams, guess what? They wouldn't have ranked Ole Miss so high! They moved them well above where they are ranked in the AP, they didn't have to, there was no pressure on them to do that. The coaches poll has Ole Miss behind Michigan State, Oregon, and Notre Dame.
Well, since you directly responded to me...............

They could have put 4 SEC-W teams, at #1-4, and Jawja, at #5, (which is probably close to the truth) and guess what............

Only one is getting in. This is the first ranking. Its only purpose is to show what the final rankings might look like. And get a lot of people mad and/or talking.

It is working. (There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.)

There is too much football ahead, for this first ranking to be of any consequence. Other than to go "Well, if all those SEC teams had not beaten their collective brains in, we could have put more in the playoff. But, they did, so we can't."

Forget who is in front of us. Worry who is close behind us, and the convoluted "logic" that will used for one of them to bump us.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I don't think teams should "get consideration" because someone is injured and doesn't play. As my old HS coach used to say, "Them's the breaks."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Some of y'all are acting like this is the final ranking. Step away from the ledge over Oregon being ranked ahead of us, how Alabama didn't get credit for losing Ryan Kelly, how we should be in the top four right now.
Agreed. Good point.
I was pleasantly surprised that so many SEC teams were listed in the top six. I really thought they would pick one SEC team, and allow other conferences their shot.
As this plays out, I will be surprised to see how teams jump other teams in subsequent weeks.
Given the schedule Alabama finishes with, and assuming Alabama wins out (by no means a foregone conclusion), it will take some real mental gymnastics to not select Alabama now.
Bama is in a fine position as of now.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
The only thing that concerns me is the Bama fatigue. We've been on top or in the running now for seven years and I'm sure a lot of people would like to see us outside the top 4. If we win out, it will take care of itself, no way to keep us out.
Of all the SEC fatigue, we are on top of the list.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You know, it's probably a rude thing to smack a man who ain't here to defend himself but - since that's your own fault and my posting pedigree was established here years ago, I'm going to educate you on how to think.

Why is it so hard to understand that the point of this is putting the best 4 teams together.
Not really hard to comprehend at all.

After watching Bama the last two weeks and watching Ole Miss last week, how can you say Ole Miss deserves to be ahead of Bama when you know Bama is the better team right now?
Hmm, I always thought Coach Saban said "it's one game" and "at the end of the season will have a body of work." The committee is taking the entire body of work into account. It's the best four teams of the SEASON, not the best four this week, or at least it shouldn't be.

I don't care what happened 3 weeks ago, we are talking about now.
But your choice is arbitrary; one could just as easily argue that Ole Miss doesn't count because that was "last week." You can't pick an arbitrary date. Over the course of the entire season, it's hard to argue Ole Miss has not been the more impressive, particularly since they beat us head to head.

Had Ole Miss not lost to LSU last week, then of course they should have been ahead.
They still should be ahead, and they are.

Why are the AP and Coaches poll have us at #3 and the committee has us at #6???
Because the AP and coaches polls are myths that have no effect one way or the other.

When the AP and coaches poll have been the most reliable over the last 60 years and the committee is brand new. Something doesn't add up here.
Uh, the AP and coaches poll have been the servants of the BCS since 1998. You might have heard about it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Common sense says ask yourself would Ole Miss beat Bama Saturday? Answer that question.
In other words - according to you - the committee needs to DISREGARD ALL RESULTS from the games and........simply pick who they think are the four best teams right now.

Meaning that if Florida beats FSU 70-0 in the last regular season game (with FSU unbeaten) then.......Florida should make the playoff.

Right?

Which is to be preferred? Actual results of games or hypothetical results?

Hypothetically, everyone thought Alabama would beat Ole Miss on October 4.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
No, consistency in the committee . If you give the Ducks the benefit of the doubt, Bama had three key injuries in the biggest game to date....in the road, yet they were either the only team that head to head was considered or the team that injuries were not considered........ Can of worms with the injury thing. Injuries have always been part of football . But to openly acknowledge it was a consideration for one team is totally unacceptable. It was clear Bama could not run the ball after Kelly went out.

Of course, there is the other . The committee wasn't aware of the Bama injuries . To me, that is worse than even a bias.

BTW, 25 percent of the committee are tied to the PAC 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk yuuyyyy

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
No, consistency in the committee . If you give the Ducks the benefit of the doubt, Bama had three key injuries in the biggest game to date....in the road, yet they were either the only team that head to head was considered or the team that injuries were not considered........ Can of worms with the injury thing. Injuries have always been part of football . But to openly acknowledge it was a consideration for one team is totally unacceptable. It was clear Bama could not run the ball after Kelly went out.
A: I really, really really hate the injuries criteria. I hate most of the committee criteria, having said that
B: Oregon has two quality wins, Alabama has one quality win. The apparent reason they put Oregon ahead had nothing to do with injuries, those seem to cancel themselves out in head to head comparisons.

There is too much football ahead, for this first ranking to be of any consequence. Other than to go "Well, if all those SEC teams had not beaten their collective brains in, we could have put more in the playoff. But, they did, so we can't."

Forget who is in front of us. Worry who is close behind us, and the convoluted "logic" that will used for one of them to bump us.
The first ranking was the most important ranking they are likely to ever make. It set the precedent, it shut up Danny and a lot of other idiots. From now on you'll start hearing a lot less about conference championships and a lot more about quality wins.

Having said that, you seem to take two lines. One is completely true, that the SEC is going to beat each other up. The other though is a bit confusing, which seems to be that even if you survive the beating, even if you rack up all those quality wins, the committee will ignore everything thus far and pull the rug out from underneath the SEC.

Considering how wrong so many people have been so far, and since my prediction after the Ole Miss game seems on track, I'm sticking with my prediction that Alabama just has to win.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.