Week 1 College football playoff poll released

hartleyb

Scout Team
Jan 9, 2009
Honestly, I think the committee got this pretty much right. All biases and favoritism aside, I might want to adjust a team up or down a spot here & there but I can't really make any serious complaints. Teams are pretty much where they ought to be, IMHO, and and most have the opportunity to win their way in.
I don't agree with Oregon position...flip flop Oregon and Bama, I'll be okay with it@

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Can't be more pleased with the results. Assuming Ole Miss loses one more -- which they should -- and we win out, it won't matter one bit. RTR!!!
the rankings seem okay to me at this point. Auburn did put a whuppin' on ole miss, and they beat us.

We just have to do our part and win out the rest of the season....if we dont it doesnt matter anyways.

If we win out, we beat #1 and #5 ourselves...that opens up our spot in the final 4.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
w played ole miss and lost...thats just a fact of life. we would probably beat them 7 out of ten times...but we only get one shot at winning.

we take care of business and win out, we get our spot...we dont win out, we dont get in (and pobably shouldnt get in if we lose a second game)

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Using your prior "logic"...cough, cough:

Which 9-3 team beat Michigan State 49-7 in 2011? Yeah, Michigan State is quite the "signature win" for the ducks.
this isnt 2011. thats not good logic either.

It doesnt matter where we are this early, it only matters where we are in the final poll.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Recap of points made: 1. Ole Miss is ahead of us because of "head to head" game., 2. Ole Miss shouldn't be ahead so because they lost to LSU., 3. Oregon plays in a weak conference and shouldn't be ahead of us., 4. If Oregon wins out, then they will continue to be ahead of us., 5. Bama just needs to take care of business the rest of the year and everything will be OK. Did I miss anything?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
There is a real possibility that 2 of the 5 conference champions have 2 losses. There is a real possibility that a 2 loss team will be in the #4 spot of the playoffs. So, lose another and your out is not totally true. There are fewer undefeated teams at this point of the season than I can remember in along time. Even in 2007 when a 2 loss LSU played in the NCG, there were 5 unbeaten teams at this point of the season. I hope head to head isn't the end all, be all when it comes to rankings . The notion that conference champion element is the reason Oregon is rated above Bama is ridiculous . If a committee member used that as a criteria at this point of the season, they should be expelled .

Last edited:

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
this isnt 2011. thats not good logic either.

It doesnt matter where we are this early, it only matters where we are in the final poll.
I think he's demonstrating "absurbness" by being absurd, and using the prior argument regarding Oregon - Tennessee games. One point though, that Michigan State win was the 2010 team, but played on New Year's Day 2011.

Agreed that this initial poll is absolutely irrelevant....

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I think he's demonstrating "absurbness" by being absurd, and using the prior argument regarding Oregon - Tennessee games. One point though, that Michigan State win was the 2010 team, but played on New Year's Day 2011.

Agreed that this initial poll is absolutely irrelevant....
This. ^^^. The first Oregon /UT game was in 2010 as well, disagree about the initial poll though.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The only team that I disagree with is Oregon. Their loss is to Arizona at home vs. Bama's loss to Ole Miss on the road.
At this point in time, Oregon has more quality wins than we do, and a quality win in most circumstances is going to trump a quality loss(ours to Ole Miss). They beat highly ranked Michigan State while we've beaten only one team that was barely ranked when we played them(TAMU was 21st). As it turns out, our best win so far is probably over West Virginia. Either way Michigan State is a better quality win in the eyes of most people.

IF we win out, then we will have more quality wins than they do and we will be in the playoff.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Alabama has ONE quality win over a WVU team that is well-thought of but not considered elite. They have a shot at shooting up in value for us but by the time they could do that...we'll have played elite SEC teams already anyway (in games we HAVE to win).

We're at where we should be tbqh.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
IMHO, this sets up Alabama to be totally in control of its destiny for the first time since the end of the Ole Miss game. Bama plays two of the top four teams. If we win out, we take one of their places. If Mississippi State can beat Ole Miss, they will sneak back into the top 4 after losing to Bama; if not, Ole Miss will remain in the top 4. And if Bama can win the conference championship game against UGA, they will probably be the top seeded team in the final four, even if Florida State wins out, due to the very punishing schedule and the number of quality wins.

I think that the committee is going to be hard pressed to include Bama or any other two loss team over a bunch of one loss teams from other conferences. Unless, of course, a two loss team wins the SEC. That will put the committee in a very tight spot indeed.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This Thread, wow... just wow. Maybe Moderator needs to do weekly poll thread each week with their own rules... I didn't think this will go too far as this one did :)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My take on this: Winning out isn't nearly as important as winning out against teams that are ranked higher than you.

First, we nead to beat LSU. Lose in BR and the season is over.

We need MSU at #1 when we play them.

Then, we need Auburn to win out so we play them in an epic IB. In doing so, they elimnate OM.

Then we go beat a good Georgia team to win the SECCG.

No doubt about it, we'd be in.

It's daunting, but it's doable.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.