Week 1 College football playoff poll released

CrimsonDollar

1st Team
Apr 9, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
A four-point depiction of the footprint of the current top 4 for the college playoff. Thought it might be interesting to some.

(Please forgive the crudeness of the image. I just drew it on my phone.)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Unsurprisingly this is kind of a mixed bag. You can kind of see how the factions played out, and with Alabama they just ignored SoS and went with a quality win criteria. I can't really moan too much about that, I've emphasized that some myself. Alabama has 3 potential quality wins left on their schedule, and if they win out, it looks like they'll clearly make their way into the top 4.

The conference champ faction was also obviously in play as well. Oregon ahead of Alabama? TCU and Michigan State knocking on the door? The big surprise to me is how low they put Notre Dame.

My first response was to be unhappy with the 6 ranking, but if they are at all consistent, Alabama is fine. The committee set the precedent and it's quality wins. If that's how it's going to be, then Alabama just has to win and their resume will blow away TCU, Michigan State, and Oregon.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
We have the same discussion going on in 2 threads but I'll just re-post what I said here too because at first Oregon did surprise me but it's about how many quality wins you have as a 1-loss team.

It looks like they are actually trying to be truly 'Fair'.

-AU beat LSU and KState(who is the only BIG12 team who doesn't have a conf loss) and only lost to #1MSU so fair enough.
-Ole Miss just lost to LSU in Death Valley at night by 3 pts and beat us head to head so fair enough.
-Oregon beat Mich St and UCLA
-We (Bama) have only lost a close road game to Ole Miss yet only have 1 quality win vs. WVU so fair enough. That WVU win is surprisingly helping us right now.

Bottom Line we play 2 teams ranked ahead of us right now...MSU & AU....We Win and we are in....even IF it creates a semi-final rematch w/ a 12-1 Ole Miss. We JUST have to win. We could not ask for more than that. I'm happy.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
No worries, we play two teams ahead of us.

Not to mention if we win out and someone takes out OM, we win the west and control our own destiny.

Once again, this is why I'm pulling for Auburn this Saturday...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I have no problem with any of it and frankly I'm quite surprised. I am stunned that there are 3 teams from the SEC in there. Now, this poll means very little because it's so early but it does give us an indicator of how the committee will vote. In fact, I watched the interview with Jeff Long and he said they aren't really even considering conferences, just the strength of the individual teams themselves.

Ole Miss should be ahead of us because they beat us and we have equal records. Mississippi State and Florida State are self-explanatory. Auburn has a better win than us, in Kansas State. Oregon? Michigan State is a better win than West Virginia at this point. We will play Auburn and Miss State, giving us a chance to control our own destiny. Ole Miss isn't done losing either.

At this point, I believe we'll be in if we win.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
We have the same discussion going on in 2 threads but I'll just re-post what I said here too because at first Oregon did surprise me but it's about how many quality wins you have as a 1-loss team.

It looks like they are actually trying to be truly 'Fair'.

-AU beat LSU and KState(who is the only BIG12 team who doesn't have a conf loss) and only lost to #1MSU so fair enough.
-Ole Miss just lost to LSU in Death Valley at night by 3 pts and beat us head to head so fair enough.
-Oregon beat Mich St and UCLA
-We (Bama) have only lost a close road game to Ole Miss yet only have 1 quality win vs. WVU so fair enough. That WVU win is surprisingly helping us right now.

Bottom Line we play 2 teams ranked ahead of us right now...MSU & AU....We Win and we are in....even IF it creates a semi-final rematch w/ a 12-1 Ole Miss. We JUST have to win. We could not ask for more than that. I'm happy.
Ole Miss lost to the #21 team in the country who was blistered by Auburn and Miss State. They have no business being #4!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well, LSU has only lost to number one Miss. State, and number three Auburn.
Since they beat Ole Miss, according to this head to head BS, shouldn't they be the number four team in the nation?
I don't like it. I don't care if we still, "have a chance" to get in.
This is a flawed system, big time.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Ole Miss plays both Auburn and Mississippi State so they should mostly take care of each other. Alabama still has Mississippi State and Auburn so that leaves plenty of opportunity for quality wins.

It's true that Ole Miss has to lose and Alabama has to win out to absolutely guarantee a seat, but the #1, #3 and #4 teams have 3 games amongst each other so that will clear out a lot of space.
Yeah but if us and Ole miss win out and FSU, TCU, and Oregon follow suit as well I dont think those quality wins really go far. Especially if Arizona comes into the championship with 1 loss in the top 10 and Oregon gets their revenge.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
They are valuing Oregon's win over M. State over our win against WVU. Where they have us now we control our own destiny as long as Mississippi State and Auburn do not crumble before we play them. If you go off strictly what has happened they probably got it right. Our best in conference win so far is Ark theirs is UCLA. RELAX we going to win out.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I'm OK with the Poll right now. Bottom Lines are:

1. SEC West gets RESPECT!

2. It's all about earning it now by winning out!

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I'm with krazy about how low they put Notre Dame. I thought they would be a little higher. We are in good shape. Win out and we are in.

Crimsissippi

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 11, 2014
Oxford or Ocean Springs, MS
Can I just add my thoughts? Technically wouldn't it help if Ole Miss continues to win for Alabama, and Alabama also runs the table. I know as far as getting to Atlanta goes, NO. But playoff wise, I think so. This ranking shows the committee is using head-to-head and quality of wins, as well as quality of losses. Therefore, Ole Miss continues to win, Auburn gets knocked out, State gets knocked out (Both by Alabama as well) and the SEC Championship game is basically Ole Miss' extra chance to get knocked out, and not Alabama. Also, it justifies (if theres a way to justify a loss) the only loss of the season by Alabama to a top 4 playoff team on the road by only 6 points. Also, Alabama has plenty to play for to get in the playoff with or without Ole Miss losing again (2 teams on the schedule that are currently in the playoff, one who is and will most likely be number one at time of kickoff, and one team in Death Valley that already beat a top 4 playoff team and is on the rise.) Alabama does not need to make it to Atlanta to make it to the playoff, tonight showed that with how the teams are ranked and why. So win out, and no matter what happens from here, I believe Alabama is in.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Can I just add my thoughts? Technically wouldn't it help if Ole Miss continues to win for Alabama, and Alabama also runs the table. I know as far as getting to Atlanta goes, NO. But playoff wise, I think so. This ranking shows the committee is using head-to-head and quality of wins, as well as quality of losses. Therefore, Ole Miss continues to win, Auburn gets knocked out, State gets knocked out (Both by Alabama as well) and the SEC Championship game is basically Ole Miss' extra chance to get knocked out, and not Alabama. Also, it justifies (if theres a way to justify a loss) the only loss of the season by Alabama to a top 4 playoff team on the road by only 6 points. Also, Alabama has plenty to play for to get in the playoff with or without Ole Miss losing again (2 teams on the schedule that are currently in the playoff, one who is and will most likely be number one at time of kickoff, and one team in Death Valley that already beat a top 4 playoff team and is on the rise.) Alabama does not need to make it to Atlanta to make it to the playoff, tonight showed that with how the teams are ranked and why. So win out, and no matter what happens from here, I believe Alabama is in.
It would help both ways. Either way, win out, we are in. If Barn beats Ole Miss this weekend, that just gives us another high ranked quality opponent to beat. Same with MSU if they keep winning etc.

But yeah, flip side, if Ole Miss and us both win out, that also helps our cause some.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
I'm telling you guys right now if Ole Miss wins out and we win out, we are not in that top 4! We do not control our destiny yet. Ole Miss has to be knocked out of there!

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Ole Miss lost to the #21 team in the country who was blistered by Auburn and Miss State. They have no business being #4!
They lost to a completely different LSU team. LSU has just now come together and they should not be overly penalized for the MSU loss. MSU is #1 and they 'made a game out of it late'. Now...I can't explain what happened against AU other than it just being a crazy anomaly. But all that's about LSU.

Ole Miss straight beat us head to head and have the same record. For a group of people trying to be 'fair and unbiased' which is what I want then there is no business in having us ahead of them.

I know we are better but we can't prove that without a rematch or OM losing another game. We will either move up with them as other teams drop or pass them if they lose. We are not jumping them though. It's what it is.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I believe you are probably correct except you have to be concerned with Georgia if they win out and then beat Ole Miss in Atlanta. But I guess at that point, that Georgia and Alabama would get in since Ole Miss would fall to 11-2.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.