Neyland Stadium and UT Campus Compared to BDS and Bama

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Out around the interstate looks/feels a little dirty.

We parked at a city garage on Gay Street near the Regal Cinemas. The downtown area was nice. They actually had a little market we walked through where people where selling fruits, veggies, bread and other stuff. Looked like some decent resturaunts there too.

But the closer we walked to the campus itself the more degraded the area was. Nothing nasty or unsafe, just older buildings and facilities that looked like they needed bringing into the 21st century.

I will echo the thoughts of another poster who said the Vol fans where pretty nice...at least the ones I talked to.
We walked through that market and had lunch at a restaurant on Gay Street (and spent some money at the Mast General Store). Maybe you saw us, we were the fans wearing the Bama shirts.

We used to hit the strip before games in Knoxville, but the ambiance of the strip has long faded, partly because it's more national chains now and partly because we got older. Now we hit Gay Street which is a much cleaner/nicer area.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I've never liked Knoxville but almost every UT graduate I know loves Knoxville. There is a long term project underway to beautify the campus which involves renovating some buildings and tearing down others and replacing them. The university has received a large grant from a private billionaire donor. I suspect 10 years from now UT will be on par with Bama's campus. Right now, it looks like a "garbage truck workers convention".

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Sounds like it's dangerous when the stadium is at full capacity & the stadium implodes from the weight of overweight vols fans..Hopefully if that happens it's at their Spring Games..

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
My first trip to Neyland was in 1988, and it was an amazing stadium and a fun experience and cordial fans. I have been several times over the years....the stadium has gotten run down. It reminds me a lot of Legion Field...just bigger. As I have posted earlier, the concessions and restrooms in the upper deck, where they put most visiting fans now, are terrible. The stadium, does not have the modern amenities that we have all come to expect. However, I still enjoy the trip to Rocky Top and the Smokies in late October. It is still a great rivalry, but it is not THE great southern rivalry like it was for so many decades.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Out around the interstate looks/feels a little dirty.

We parked at a city garage on Gay Street near the Regal Cinemas. The downtown area was nice. They actually had a little market we walked through where people where selling fruits, veggies, bread and other stuff. Looked like some decent resturaunts there too.

But the closer we walked to the campus itself the more degraded the area was. Nothing nasty or unsafe, just older buildings and facilities that looked like they needed bringing into the 21st century.

I will echo the thoughts of another poster who said the Vol fans where pretty nice...at least the ones I talked to.
This is my 3rd time to Neyland. I've been to the last two as well as 1992. I absolutely love Market Square. I wish we had something similar in Tuscaloosa. It is so cute with quaint shops and great restaurants, and I heard there was a farmer's market Saturday morning. I also like downtown Knoxville, at least on game weekend. I like the campus, but everyone is right when saying it doesn't compare to Alabama. Plus that one hill you have to walk up......if my classes were all up there I'm not so sure I'd make it every day. ;)

We sat in section A. We were told that was the very oldest part of the stadium. To say it was old is really an understatement. It was like going through a maze of pipes and small walkways. I swear if we would have taken a wrong turn I think we would have ended up in the locker rooms. Wouldn't have surprised me one bit. :) The bathrooms were interesting to say the least. I think they were built when indoor plumbing had just come about. Our seats had much more room than the upper deck seats on our last visit to Neyland. So that part was great. Those seats were put in when comfort and common sense trumped squeezing as many butts into seats as possible.

One last thought. Tennessee has been down for so long, but I was impressed with their crowd. It got loud when they started their comeback. I'm so thankful Sims and company responded on that crucial drive in the 3rd quarter. We shut them up just in time. Roll Tide!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.