Neyland Stadium and UT Campus Compared to BDS and Bama

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've attended several games at Neyland over the years, but it had been several years since I had been there until Saturday.

My observations:

The tailgaiting is a joke...most of it in a parking deck (at least what I saw).

The buildings on campus were old, cramped and outdated...especially their food court and bathrooms. I did hear someone say they were tearing down that building to rebuild a new one.

Tried to watch a little of the MSU vs. KY game and the auditorium they were showing it in was like going back in time 50 years, not to mention the terrible satelite reception.

Very little modern construction around campus, especially compared to all the new buildings on Bama's campus.

And then Neyland! I remember it being cramped, but it was worse than I remember. It's not just the butt room but also the leg room in front and behind you that is so cramped.

The concourses, in the south endzone where we were sitting, were made for a few thousand not 100,000.

And the bathrooms made Legion Fields' bathrooms desireable.

Also, I hate how they pipe the UT band's music over the PA system...sounds terrible.

I saw the "field condition" thread, but from where I was sitting I couldn't really tell, but I did see Yeldon slip several times.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've attended several games at Neyland over the years, but it had been several years since I had been there until Saturday.

My observations:

The tailgaiting is a joke...most of it in a parking deck (at least what I saw).
Tailgating in a parking deck. :frown:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It was very obvious, even watching on tv, that they were piping in music over the PA system. I've watched other UT games this year, and it wasn't that bad. It was pathetic attempt to give them some kind of advantage, because they certainly didn't have any kind of advantage in the stands. It looked liked half the stadium was Crimson. They have fallen so far, much farther than we did during our probation era and their 7 game winning streak over us. In fact, I don't think they were this bad off when Coach Bryant was beating them for a decade in the 70s and early 80s.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I haven't been there in almost 20 years. Sounds like nothing's changed.
Thing is, 20 years ago the Alabama Campus and BDS where probably not that different than UT, but Bama has modernized and changed for the better and UT is way, way behind.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Agree with everything Bamamoon said. The stadium is an absolute dump. Mens bathroom was a rusted ceramic trough. My wife missed the entire 3rd quarter waiting for the restroom. The backside facing the river had steps that were cracking. The stadium was apparently originally a dorm and still had old AC units from 30 years ago and had numerous broken windows. There were even a few academic department offices in the stadium. Bryant Denney is a palace compared to Neyland.

It looks like UT is struggling financially to me. The academic and student center buildings were all old and looked in need of repair. Urban campuses just don't look welcoming.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The backside facing the river had steps that were cracking. The stadium was apparently originally a dorm and still had old AC units from 30 years ago and had numerous broken windows.
The rail at the top of the stadium and along the concourses looks like it wouldn't hold up a heathly size man if he leaned up against it. I saw people leaning against them and I thought they were crazy!

And yes, a young UT fan told me those rooms on the south end of Neyland used to be dorm rooms. He said his granddad actually stayed in those dorm rooms.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
So, based on what you guys are saying, calling it a "garbage truck workers' convention" might have been generous.

There was a story, about 2 years ago, on the poor financial state of UcheaT's athletic dept. More than $200M in debt, with over $20M in annual debt service. Due in large part to the expansion of said "convention", and falling attendance levels. They had fallen to the point they were averaging around 20k under capacity, per game. This led to them combining the men's and women's athletic programs. And subsequent personnel cuts. Most of which came from the women's side. Which led to several law suits.

I guess we should all feel sorry for them.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
My 20th trip to Neyland (15 Bama-UT games and 5 USC-UT games). We've always dubbed it "The world's largest double-wide. Bathrooms and concessions in endzone upper decks are and always have been a joke. If there were ever a terrorist attack or an earthquake and you were sitting up there, just sit there and die because you ain't getting out as the concourses are hardly 5 people wide.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
My 20th trip to Neyland (15 Bama-UT games and 5 USC-UT games). We've always dubbed it "The world's largest double-wide. Bathrooms and concessions in endzone upper decks are and always have been a joke. If there were ever a terrorist attack or an earthquake and you were sitting up there, just sit there and die because you ain't getting out as the concourses are hardly 5 people wide.
That, my friend, is simply chocked full of awesomeness...

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Lulu's feelings are hurt that ya'll didn't appreciate her prettying up the stadium for you.

Seriously, if you go when TN beats us (as some of us have), the place is an inferno of dereliction and malevolent behavior. I've cited examples in my posts a few times. I'm not saying don't go but if the series ever turns in their favor, be ready. And wear something with steel toes.

tennessee: at your feet or at your throat

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Neyland is definitely in need of a major modernization. The upper deck (where they put visitors fans) concessions and restrooms should be embarrassing to UT.

As far as total campus....Bama's campus is probably the most beautiful (and underrated) in the south. I have been to many other campuses during non football times....I know what I am talking about. This goes back about 11 years and Dr Witt giving a directive to landscape and beautify the campus. He realized that a beautiful campus attracts students. These are great times for Bama right now.....great football, beautiful campus, and outstanding students.

pyro

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Winchester TN
It's Tennessee what did you expect? Knoxville in its entirety is a dump. Outside of the city up into the Smokey Mountains is beautiful but all the man made structures in that part of Tennessee is just terrible.

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
It was my first trip to Neyland and we had a most enjoyable day and night. We had a late lunch at Calhoun's On The River and enjoyed the food and atmosphere inside and outside. We parked in The City County Building parking deck across the street and up the hill from Calhoun's and there was practically no traffic after the game. I can't wait to go back and watch Bama beat 'em one more time.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I recall being dramatically underwhelmed after finally attending a game at Neyland years ago - it's a dump compared to BDS. Even after the recent 'upgrades' it's ridiculously bad, imo. Sure, they cram a lot of people in there, but it's still like going to a game in the 1960's.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
It's Tennessee what did you expect? Knoxville in its entirety is a dump. Outside of the city up into the Smokey Mountains is beautiful but all the man made structures in that part of Tennessee is just terrible.
I haven't spent time in Knoxville and haven't been to Neyland, but driving through there, Knoxville looks dirty and run-down. I'm sure the entire city is not representative of what you see from I-40.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I haven't spent time in Knoxville and haven't been to Neyland, but driving through there, Knoxville looks dirty and run-down. I'm sure the entire city is not representative of what you see from I-40.
Out around the interstate looks/feels a little dirty.

We parked at a city garage on Gay Street near the Regal Cinemas. The downtown area was nice. They actually had a little market we walked through where people where selling fruits, veggies, bread and other stuff. Looked like some decent resturaunts there too.

But the closer we walked to the campus itself the more degraded the area was. Nothing nasty or unsafe, just older buildings and facilities that looked like they needed bringing into the 21st century.

I will echo the thoughts of another poster who said the Vol fans where pretty nice...at least the ones I talked to.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Out around the interstate looks/feels a little dirty.

We parked at a city garage on Gay Street near the Regal Cinemas. The downtown area was nice. They actually had a little market we walked through where people where selling fruits, veggies, bread and other stuff. Looked like some decent resturaunts there too.

But the closer we walked to the campus itself the more degraded the area was. Nothing nasty or unsafe, just older buildings and facilities that looked like they needed bringing into the 21st century.

I will echo the thoughts of another poster who said the Vol fans where pretty nice...at least the ones I talked to.
Nearly every college town, regardless of size, I've seen has some culture and civic pride, esp. in the areas right around and adjacent to the campus.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.