The Future of College Football

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
Sounds a lot like the NFL.
As an old guy, what made college football fun and unique to watch has been or is being ruined. I miss the traditional games (Texas/Texas A&M on Thanksgiving as just one example) I miss the limited bowl games when going to a bowl really was something special. I miss it all ending on New Years Day with only the big four being played that day.

If if I wanted a play off I would watch the NFL. I think the big money and ESPN drove us to where we are today.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The Anti-SEC Haters that are pushing the whole -- "only conference champions should play" etc... garbage..... if they can't honestly see that the 2 best teams in the country can realistically be both from the same division within a conference.....and that will be the plan going forward - then I say -- go for it, obliterate the conferences....

Let everyone schedule like Notre Dame -- and the 4 best teams go..... I'm all for history, pageantry, etc....but screw it -- if the rule is going to be-- no more than one team from a conference....then, I'd prefer no conference ties -- let it be one big free-for-all....

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I think we'll see an 8 team playoff very soon. Probably 2016.
We will (have to) see more conference re-alignments.
ND (and any other independents) will HAVE to join a conference to be considered.
Committee will be expanded or eliminated and go back to a composite of polls.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
I misunderstood. You were saying a conference of 16 teams would have four divisions consisting of four teams each that would play each other every year....which would would be 3 games. For fun I will play along. Let's call the 4 divisions N,S,E,W. Everybody plays the other 3 teams in their division and the winner moves on to the conference semi final game. Then I guess they would play the other semi final winner for the conference championship. That would mean the regular conference schedule would be 3 games before the playoffs began. I guess they could mix in some other meaningless conference exhibition games or other meaningless out of conference exhibition games before the conference playoffs began, but there are still some real challenges to this arrangement......what would happen in the 3 game regular season among the 4 teams ended in a tie? How about three teams with a 2-1 record and the last with an 0-3 record? The contingency planing would be a logistical nightmare for the fans and teams not knowing where they would be playing the two conference playoff games in potentially 15 different locations. I guess you anticipate the NC playoffs going from there to include the other 4 super conferences after they have determined their conference championship. I can't imagine how that would work. This year's completely unknown possible sites of where we might wind up in post season makes it nearly impossible for fans and the athletic department to plan. Anybody made their travel plans yet? If we do make it to the 4 team playoff -and I think we will- I know there are some people trying to decide if they are going to the semi final game or just going to wait and hope to go to the NC finals.
I know some will say two eight team divisions in a conference would streamline the playoff system, but that would still mean a team's path to the playoffs would be through the same 7 teams they would play every year. Every other game would be nothing more than an exhibition or warmup for the only seven games that mattered. Personally, I don't think most true college football fans would want a playoff if they understood the impact it would have on the game that some of us love and enjoy. The only exception would be those who only get to watch the game on TV. I can understand that the site and game day experience aren't important to them. A great deal of money comes from TV but I think college football maintains its character built around the game day experience of the fans. Just my opinion but I sure as heck hope I am right.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think we'll see an 8 team playoff very soon. Probably 2016.
We will (have to) see more conference re-alignments.
ND (and any other independents) will HAVE to join a conference to be considered.
Committee will be expanded or eliminated and go back to a composite of polls.
I agree with most of this. Notre Dame has all but joined the ACC already, so making a transition into the league would be easy for them in all actuality. I don't think the committee will be disband though, because even if we end up with 4 "super conferences" or just expanded 5 conferences, there will still be a need to pick at large teams. I think that it will be left to people to pick instead of polls.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
No telling how things will look 2, 5 or 10 years from now but they're 2 things I firmly believe. Automatically qualifying conference champions is a terrible idea, and sooner or later politics are going to affect the playoff committe's decisions.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Coach Stallings has said for some time now College Football will evolve into 4 Super Conferences, who will each decide their conference champion. The 4 conference champions enter a playoff for the national championship. I can see that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.