LSU beat writer: Like it or not, LSU, Alabama is your daddy

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
I'd bet Mr. Guilbeau is the only sportswriter in the country who has LSU ranked ahead of Bama and UGA...

GUILBEAU SEC POLL: 1. Mississippi State (7-0, 4-0 SEC). 2. Auburn (6-1, 3-1). 3. LSU (7-2, 3-2). 4. Ole Miss (7-1, 4-1). 5. Alabama (7-1, 4-1). 6. Georgia (6-1, 4-1). 7. Missouri (6-2, 3-1). 8. Florida (3-3, 2-3). 9. Kentucky (5-3, 2-3). 10. Texas A&M (5-3, 2-3). 11. South Carolina (4-4, 2-4). 12. Arkansas (4-4, 0-4). 13. Tennessee (3-5, 0-4). 14. Vanderbilt (2-6, 0-5).
Quote from thread that I posted with wrong title.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
LSU may well beat us next week. But they are not deserving of a higher ranking at this point in the season, having been mauled at Auburn and watching Mississippi State run roughshod over their home field. Alabama lost to Ole Miss and LSU beat them, yes. Alabama also played the game in Oxford, while LSU didn't.

But then again, I've always found Guilbeau to be a troll not unlike Danny Kannell or Rod Gilmore.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Oh this guy. Under Saban, We've got one of the worst series records against LSU (5-3). We're hardly their daddy. Pretty darn close to peers.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I liked his article,his paterfamilias analogy was mostly true. But, it could also be applied to most of the SEC, not just LSU.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Guilbeau was a big Bill Curry fan when he wrote for the Mobile Press.
When Curry "left" it was like he became an immediate Bama hater.
The column was stupid, and I'm not sure what he was trying to do other than fire LSU up.
I personally think LSU doesn't have a prayer to match up with us this year.
They had their moment against Ole Miss, but you can't forget the beat downs they took against State and Auburn.
Other than Ole Miss, what have they really done?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Guilbeau was a big Bill Curry fan when he wrote for the Mobile Press.
When Curry "left" it was like he became an immediate Bama hater.
The column was stupid, and I'm not sure what he was trying to do other than fire LSU up.
I personally think LSU doesn't have a prayer to match up with us this year.
They had their moment against Ole Miss, but you can't forget the beat downs they took against State and Auburn.
Other than Ole Miss, what have they really done?
Everyone "expert" is saying the same about Bama. Played only one quality team and got whipped. Naturally I disagree but that is the line lately.

Oh this guy. Under Saban, We've got one of the worst series records against LSU (5-3). We're hardly their daddy. Pretty darn close to peers.
Three straight wins, two of them blow outs, one on the biggest stage. I believe we are. I get what you thinking though, but when you lost like LSU has lost to Bama one has to think that we are their daddy. (I hate that phrase by the way)

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
And it's all Saban's fault. Had he not come to LSU they wouldn't be the power they are today. 3 in a row with 1 being in the BCS Title game. Maybe not their daddy, step-daddy... :)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There have been two blowouts but the other six games were all decided in the fourth quarter and often late. I don't buy what this guy is selling. Glad that we've blown them out twice and ripped their heart out on the other, but LSU is still LSU and I'd expect more of the same type of typical game in the series from them.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Despite how LSU laid eggs against Miss State and Auburn, I expect a tough grind-it-out type of game with them. Last year was something of a nice relief but if you remember, for a little more than 3 quarters, either team looked like it could have won. Every other game for a number of years has been down to the end. I don't think this year will be any different. My biggest worry is that we give them a few TD's due to fumbles or penalties that keep our offense off the field. Luckily though, these guys' offense this year is even more inept than the offense with Jefferson 1-9-12.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Despite how LSU laid eggs against Miss State and Auburn, I expect a tough grind-it-out type of game with them. Last year was something of a nice relief but if you remember, for a little more than 3 quarters, either team looked like it could have won. Every other game for a number of years has been down to the end. I don't think this year will be any different. My biggest worry is that we give them a few TD's due to fumbles or penalties that keep our offense off the field. Luckily though, these guys' offense this year is even more inept than the offense with Jefferson 1-9-12.
It will be hard for LSU to do anything on offense. Their QB play is average at best.

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA

What people don't realize, LSU has a young team and they are growing by each game. That Ole Miss defense is no joke. Ole Miss does have a good offense. I believe the parity in the SEC west is for real. Coach John Chavis in my opinion is the best DC in the Sec and made Coach Fulmer teams great. Coach Cam Cameron is pretty good Qb coach and OC. By them losing Seniors and Juniors to the NFL the last three years caught up with them. That is why they have a young team. Not as bad as LSU, but I believe that was part of our problem at the beginning of the season. But that is what will happen when you get top athletes every year.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
also, 2010.
Same deal along with 3 corners and 1 now in the NFL and regardless this years LSU team is nowhere near as good as those two teams were. Maybe they keep it close at first but I expect Alabama to pull away....better talent and better coaching.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.