News Article: Kentucky No. 1 in preseason again

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
They've got lots of weapons. Very impressive performance on SEC Network right now, at least offensively. They're up 67-40 at halftime against some NAIA team. Even considering the opponent, they are very obviously going to be a handful for anyone in the country, let alone the SEC.

Freshman center Karl Towns has 18 points.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Cal has repeatedly said he has two rotations of players this season. He compares it to hockey teams rotating every player at one time. If that turns out to be successful, Kentucky will be a monster this year.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
My son has adopted UK as a basketball school after Bama and my wife's Aggies (plus neither team has done anything in bball since he has started following bball more closely). We will watch a lot more bball this year and will try to go to the UK vs Aggie game in Jan.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Can't even imagine cheering for UK in basketball. I think I would for the Gators before them.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Can't even imagine cheering for UK in basketball. I think I would for the Gators before them.
I'm a college football fan first and foremost. I follow bball but not much until March madness. He loves bball and plays a lot of it. For some reason he latched on to UK a couple years ago. My wife's college roommate works for them and my uncle is a huge UK fan. Oh well.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Can't pull for UK or UF....I believe Cal is bad for hoops. Always have...I actually like Petino better, which is really saying something. I always pull for UK to lose

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
I completely understand not liking Kentucky, but why is their coach bad for hoops? That doesn't make sense to me.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
I completely understand not liking Kentucky, but why is their coach bad for hoops? That doesn't make sense to me.
this is a view from memphis fans. so a little bias, but the facts are the facts. He has had two final four teams one at Memphis and the other UMASS, both of those seasons were vacated by NCAA. In both cases the next year he left for another job. Cheating his way to the top. Just one of many reasons not to like Cal.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/239659-john-caliparis-final-four-erasedagain

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
this is a view from memphis fans. so a little bias, but the facts are the facts. He has had two final four teams one at Memphis and the other UMASS, both of those seasons were vacated by NCAA. In both cases the next year he left for another job. Cheating his way to the top. Just one of many reasons not to like Cal.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/239659-john-caliparis-final-four-erasedagain
I think you misunderstand. I know his history and why people don't like him. That's understandable. I just don't see how he's bad for hoops. Unless we're going to say that anyone whose teams have been sanctioned are bad for those sports, then I can see it I guess.

There's lots of corruption in college athletics. There are coaches that are the media darlings (Roy Williams, Coach K) that will never have a poor word said about them despite obvious shady things happening under their regimes (again, the NCAA picks and chooses who they are going to go after, and our perceptions are typically shaped by those decisions). I don't necessarily think any of them are bad for the game, though. I think the game is a lot better when the blue bloods are on top of their games.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
1. I think cheating is bad for the game.

2. UNC is on that list of cheaters as well (I have never seen coach K on that list)

3. One and done players are bad for the game, but are a necessity as the rules are today. Most coaches might ad one, out of necessity. He treasures them and uses it as a selling point. I also believe AAU basketball is bad for the game and his approach to the game is AAU ball for college.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Coach K isn't on the list because he's above reproach with most of the media. It's not hard to find. Google Corey Magette and Lance Thomas for starters.

I'd rather players be able to turn pro after high school and then stay in college for at least two or three years, but it's not happening. I certainly don't begrudge any coach for playing the system to his advantage. I'd have to disagree about his approach being an AAU approach. I think his teams generally play pretty hard and typically play good defense, which is pretty much the opposite of AAU basketball.

We're all entitled to our views, though.

Roll Tide.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
My AAU reference is lack of team development.

I will agree last year they played really good d by the end of the year and even evolved into a better team (the twins and Poythress have a lot to do with that, good kids), but Randle did not. From what I have seen though, usually his teams and players do not progress at all. Just pro ready players, at 18, and they are they exact same a year later when they are drafted. Just my opinion though :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.