News Article: Interesting article on the MS junior colleges...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: Interesting article on the MS junion colleges...

This part was my favorite, heh:
"What school you from?" the kid asks me.
I don't quite catch his drift: "I'm sorry, what?"
"What school you from?"
Then I get it: white, a little paunchy, diligently jotting stuff down, I look like a recruiter out scouring the Delta, shaking the bushes in hopes a Division I prospect will tumble out.
"No," I say, brightening. "I'm a writer. Doing a story for a magazine."
I've seen less despair at funerals.
"Oh," he says before heading off. "I was hoping you were from Alabama."

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX

Nice article.

"There are only two places you can coach Division I kids," Koonz says. "A Division I school and here."
A lot of talent in the MS Juco system....

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Having covered many of those junior colleges back in the 1990's as a publishing representative, I can tell you they are certainly not "destinations". I don't think many wake up on a given day and say "Hey, let's all go to Wesson (or Summit or Scooba, or Raymond, or Booneville..). You really have to WANT to continue to pursue a dream to go some of those schools.

One thing that is absolutely true was the coach stating "there are no distractions". Some of those towns back in 90's, they had to widen Main Street just to put a stripe down it.

A funny and true (and somewhat sad) story. Back in the mid 1990's, I was talking to a program director at one of the junior colleges and asked what were the requirements for admission to the school and their program. Answer: "You must have your high school diploma or GED and have TAKEN the SAT or the ACT (no minimum score, just simply have "taken it"). The dropout rate after the first semester was well over 50%.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

Nice article. The biggest thing I got out of it is that Drew Jubera is an exceptional writer. It's refreshing and rare to see that these days.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

Having covered many of those junior colleges back in the 1990's as a publishing representative, I can tell you they are certainly not "destinations". I don't think many wake up on a given day and say "Hey, let's all go to Wesson (or Summit or Scooba, or Raymond, or Booneville..). You really have to WANT to continue to pursue a dream to go some of those schools.

One thing that is absolutely true was the coach stating "there are no distractions". Some of those towns back in 90's, they had to widen Main Street just to put a stripe down it.

A funny and true (and somewhat sad) story. Back in the mid 1990's, I was talking to a program director at one of the junior colleges and asked what were the requirements for admission to the school and their program. Answer: "You must have your high school diploma or GED and have TAKEN the SAT or the ACT (no minimum score, just simply have "taken it"). The dropout rate after the first semester was well over 50%.
Don't forget Co-Lin outside of Bogue Chitto, MS :)

RdunawayTX

3rd Team
Sep 24, 2011

That was an amazing article. Thanks for finding that.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Money is always the issue but I'd love to see Alabama juco's play football.
I think Marion Military used to have a team, but according to their website, they don't have one anymore.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This would be real good for the Alabama systems, feeding players through JUCO system... but at the same time, it might hurt other minor schools in alabama.. we may not have football teams within JR colleges.. but we definitely have enough of that here in bama.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I think Marion Military used to have a team, but according to their website, they don't have one anymore.
I think the last time this happened was in the early 80's, the freshmen and little used 3rd-4th stringers would be formed into a jv squad and they played Marion Military Institute the Saturday before the Iron Bowl which was an off week. I remember hearing this on the radio when I was fairly young. SelmaBornTideFan could probably give us a play-by-play account of the last game. :)

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
This would be real good for the Alabama systems, feeding players through JUCO system... but at the same time, it might hurt other minor schools in alabama.. we may not have football teams within JR colleges.. but we definitely have enough of that here in bama.
There are many unrecruited players who go to junior colleges that would be interested. I have no doubt some could catch the eye of college coaches that come to see the other guys they placed there for academic reasons.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.