Link: No Class: Maryland refuse coin toss handshake with PSU

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
No, people within the program allowed it and those people were dealt with legally. It's done. This thread is about an event on Nov. 1, 2014. Stick to the topic!

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
The pregame penalty was due to a Maryland player making contact with an official during the shoving. Not shaking hands is just childish. Grab their hand, look them in the eye, tell them you going to kick their rear, then go out and prove it.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I don't condone the lack of sportsmanship at the beginning, but I do enjoy seeing Franklin lose ballgames as he isn't the epitome of class himself.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
First there was the fight before the game. I imagine Maryland had to feel slighted for them to have refused the shake.

And a penalty....before the start of the game? If that's the case, where's the limit. During practice on the field they hear language our taunting....personal foul? This is crap

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I don't condone the lack of sportsmanship at the beginning, but I do enjoy seeing Franklin lose ballgames as he isn't the epitome of class himself.
I will admit I haven't paid him close attention, but what exactly has Franklin done that brings him so many accusations of poor class? (I hear it a lot, but I just haven't seen it myself.)

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Would anybody here actually shake the hand of a guy on a team you just had a pregame fight with? To be penalize for not shaking hands, the official overstep his power of authority.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I will admit I haven't paid him close attention, but what exactly has Franklin done that brings him so many accusations of poor class? (I hear it a lot, but I just haven't seen it myself.)
Raiding Vandy's recruiting class last year (effectively killing Vandy for next few years), saying he only hires assistants with hot wives (because it supposedly means they have a high confidence level), sending the Penn State truck to Nashville to move his stuff, calling CNS "Nicky Satan", and best of all (and maybe the reason Penn State hired him) his questionable role in the case the 4 players that accused of rape. The players said he saw a cell phone video of some the incident, he told the other players he saw it, but later testified in court that he lied about seeing it because he didn't want to "water down the message" to his other players about the incident. He was accused by somebody close to the rape victim of encouraging the player to delete video after he saw it, but Franklin claims that the accusation was "baseless".

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Could it be that Maryland players were just really freaked out by the Ebola scare and were just being precautionary and not classless :biggrin2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The B1G network talked about this a bit. It seems that the PSU team did what they do every game when they take the field for pre-game warmups. They enter the field at one end and go to the opposite end zone for a team prayer. They then move to their end of the field for their warmups.

Other B1G schools expect this and give them room to come through. Maryland was not aware, so PSU just ran through their team. This led to a number of incidents during the warmups - including the PSU starting QB throwing passes to receivers in the middle of Maryland's team.

Maryland is new to the B1G and is not familiar with some of these rituals. They felt like PSU was being disrespectful of them during warmups, and it was clear in the post game presser that Maryland still remained unaware of the ritual. Add the comments made by Franklin during the off-season and you can understand why the team was upset.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks for the explanation B1G.

Makes sense now how it all happened.

An argument could still be made you still shake hands before the game - especially if you're the captains and are supposed to represent the standard of team behavior.

But we don't know every detail of what happened and what was said so I'm not passing judgement myself one way or another.

But if Penn State wanted to really get ultimate pay back - they should have won they dang game!

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
my original home was in Maryland, and I retired in tenn when transferred here by the usaf. some history. penn state was marylands biggest rivalry for many years. especially back in the day the terps had really good teams, and competed nationally on a yearly level. then for some reason penn state decided not to continue the home and away series. they also discontinued the Pittsburgh series. the next slap was franklin was hired as the off coord at Maryland as heir apparent to coach fridgen. however, franklin became impatient and hired on at vandy. fans in Maryland never forgot all that, and hence the problems, which make for a great rivalry. especially with Maryland winning at penn state. good start for the terps.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I knew that Franklin was the Terps coach in waiting, but it is silly to hold that against him
However, this summer he essentially said that Maryland should just fold up its football team because PSU was going to take all of their best recruits. After all of that, I am glad that PSU lost.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.