News Article: For Richt and UGA, yet another inexplicable loss

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Considering the talent pool he has to draw from, I've never seen a coach do less with more than Richt has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Although he does have an NC to his credit, you can make a good case that Mack Brown has Richt beat on that score. I guarantee you that the main reason so many people in Texas were buying into the Saban to Texas rumors was that Saban as the Texas HC is THE nightmare scenario for the rest of the universe.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Although he does have an NC to his credit, you can make a good case that Mack Brown has Richt beat on that score. I guarantee you that the main reason so many people in Texas were buying into the Saban to Texas rumors was that Saban as the Texas HC is THE nightmare scenario for the rest of the universe.
I think the overall quality of HS talent in Texas is overrated and has been in steep decline for years now. 10 yrs ago I might have agreed with you on that, but not anytime recently. Richt otoh has had an overflowing cornucopia full of elite talent every single year to cherry pick ever since he arrived in Athens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I think the overall quality of HS talent in Texas is overrated and has been in steep decline for years now. 10 yrs ago I might have agreed with you on that, but not anytime recently. Richt otoh has had an overflowing cornucopia full of elite talent to cherry pick ever since he arrived in Athens.
And, Georgia only has two major college teams. Texas has 8 or 10, depending on how you define "major college".

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
And Yet, Jeremy Pruitt should've realized that they were doing that, so why didn't he load the box ? put enough men in the box to stop the runs? I don't think Georgia actually took Florida seriously and they got caught with their pants down. Richt is not going to get fired or quit this season, but I would imgaine the fanbase is growing weary of this....
This reminds me of Alabama A and M and their former coach Jones, how he would lead the team to SWAC championships, but would always lose each game and he got fired because of that. Their new coach are one win away from SWAC Championship. My point is that sometime it's not the coaches, but the player's mentality.
and for much of those running plays UGA appeared to be in a basic D with only 6 in the box, at least it looked that way on TV. They covering the pass against a team the didn't pass, was very odd to watch.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think the overall quality of HS talent in Texas is overrated and has been in steep decline for years now. 10 yrs ago I might have agreed with you on that, but not anytime recently. Richt otoh has had an overflowing cornucopia full of elite talent every single year to cherry pick ever since he arrived in Athens.

its been a lot of fun watching saban poach so many of those georgia players

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I didn't want to start another thread, but what if Georgia or Missouri wins the SEC East with 2 or 3 losses and beats the SEC West team in the SECCG. I know. Sometimes STUFF just happens!

Would the SEC NOT have any team in the College Playoff? This does worry me. This kind of happening sure would make the B1G, PAC 12, Big 12-2 and the ACC very happy.

With that said, I'm hoping Alabama wins out and that includes the SECCG and the National Playoff!

If ifs and butts were candy and nuts … all the other Big 5 Conferences would be very HAPPY.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
its been a lot of fun watching saban poach so many of those georgia players
Yes it has! Blake Sims is just one example of that. Glad we got him instead of the Dawgs.

Why do think we've invested so much into building a pipeline to metro ATL in recruiting?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
they haven't had a better coach since dooley left, and i don't see that changing

It could be argued that Richt is the greatest coach Georgia has ever had. After 13 seasons, Richt has a higher winning percentage and more conference championships than any other coach in the same time span. UGA is not this great national program they pretend to be. I could make an argument that Ole Miss is a greater program historically.
With all that, as I said they could be the LSU of the East. There is plenty of talent in this state, by they could never close the borders completely. CLEMSON and AUBURN are entrenched extended Atlanta Metro schools, Plus Georgia Tech. With the right coach, Georgia could get their pick and leave the rest for others to fight over .

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Hasn't Richt fired several DC's over the years? Martinez was one that I know of. Richt will just fire Pruitt eventually when the heat gets to be too much.
That hasn't been Richt - it's come from higher up. Richt, to his detriment, is overly loyal to his assistants.

Grantham seems to be the only one that was truly run off by Richt. Grantham's bad language on the sidelines put him in the doghouse early on.

Richt's problem is that he doesn't value winning championships or even winning in general. Listen to his players after a loss and they always say something along the lines of "there are much more important things than winning #church".

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
and for much of those running plays UGA appeared to be in a basic D with only 6 in the box, at least it looked that way on TV. They covering the pass against a team the didn't pass, was very odd to watch.
I couldn't believe my eyes watching that game. UF hasn't had a dangerous passing game for at least two years, was playing a QB with very little experience who, in the early third quarter, had only thrown 5 or 6 passes all day. And UGA, while getting destroyed by UF's ground game, was playing like they were protecting a six-point lead with 30 seconds to play. I couldn't believe it. But, then I remembered that Mark Richt is their coach.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Personally I think if Florida or Georgia cut their losses and went after Gundy they would be a serious force to be reckoned with for a long time. but Richt gets by with Georgia for being a good man and beating Tennessee, Florida, and Auburn every other year, but he has trouble against Spurrier and Saban when going head to head. Like I said he is a more successful Mike Shula, and I think even had Shula beaten Auburn in 06 he would still be gone. I dont think too highly of Richt as a great coach like some analysts and fans do, but I usually compare coaches that get that praise that he does to the likes of successful coaches like Saban, Spurrier, jimmy Johnson, and Tom Osbourne who have actually taken their team to the promise land. On a scale from 1-10 i would probably rate him a 5.75.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Personally I think if Florida or Georgia cut their losses and went after Gundy they would be a serious force to be reckoned with for a long time. but Richt gets by with Georgia for being a good man and beating Tennessee, Florida, and Auburn every other year, but he has trouble against Spurrier and Saban when going head to head. Like I said he is a more successful Mike Shula, and I think even had Shula beaten Auburn in 06 he would still be gone. I dont think too highly of Richt as a great coach like some analysts and fans do, but I usually compare coaches that get that praise that he does to the likes of successful coaches like Saban, Spurrier, jimmy Johnson, and Tom Osbourne who have actually taken their team to the promise land. On a scale from 1-10 i would probably rate him a 5.75.
What an oddly specific number.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Anyone hear Richt respond on his call in show to a critical caller? . Darriel , who is also a Finebaum caller, was critical of Richt for applauding players in a loss, and for being happy and smiling at the end of the game. RICHT talked a little smack to Darriel , saying things like 'I am sure it never happens on your team ' and 'I know you have it all figured out' .

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Anyone hear Richt respond on his call in show to a critical caller? . Darriel , who is also a Finebaum caller, was critical of Richt for applauding players in a loss, and for being happy and smiling at the end of the game. RICHT talked a little smack to Darriel , saying things like 'I am sure it never happens on your team ' and 'I know you have it all figured out' .
not only is richt a poor coach, he's a whiny little snot when things don't go his way.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm still trying to figure out how the hell he didn't get a penalty, or even ejected from the game, when he ran all the way to the line of scrimmage on the middle of the field to call a timeout near the end of the game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm still trying to figure out how the hell he didn't get a penalty, or even ejected from the game, when he ran all the way to the line of scrimmage on the middle of the field to call a timeout near the end of the game.
Was wondering that, too. I understand he wanted to call a timeout, but when have officials allowed a coach to run to the middle of the field to do so?

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
That definately was odd, but he had no choice with all the officials pulling people off the pile and the clock ticking away. And that my friends is all the defending of CMR you will ever hear from me.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Yeah, I think as long as the coach is just on the field to get the zebra's attention to call a time out, they won't penalize them for that. One official (side judge?) is supposed to have specific responsibility to respond to the coaches on that. It was part of the rule change so that coaches could call time out and not just the players. Now, if he had been screaming at them about something, I think it turns out differently.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.