Link: SDS calls out the Opelika-Auburn News front page pic Treadwell's injury

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Saturday Down South has picked up on OAN's front pic of Lequan Treadwell's injury that was on the front page of the Sunday paper with caption "FINDING A WAY". The pic is taken before the ball came out, and is taken at the exact moment his leg snaps. If you were going to use that angle, they could have used a later shot when the ball was out, but this shot is focusing on the injury.

Keeping it classy on the plains...

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-miss-football/newspaper-uses-controversial-photo/

Last edited:

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Re: SDS calls out the Opelika-Auburn News front page pic Threadwell's injury

i JUST came here to post this EXACT same thing. This is beyond disgusting. I'm ashamed that I was rooting for Auburn vs Ole Miss last night. I pray that Alabama destroys them

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

This kind of thing is why I never pull for Auburn. I work with far too many of them and most hate us with a passion. I remember when Mark Ingram injured his knee in 2010, they were ecstatic.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

the comment section is unreal. they are actually blaming us for the picture? seriously? I am so glad I was born a Bama fan.

redtusk15

Suspended
Aug 7, 2014

The editor of the Opelika Auburn paper is Patrick Johnston, a 1999 graduate of the University of Alabama. The sports editor is Dana Sulonen and is relatively new to the paper.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

The editor of the Opelika Auburn paper is Patrick Johnston, a 1999 graduate of the University of Alabama. The sports editor is Dana Sulonen and is relatively new to the paper.
she is ohio state alum.

redtusk15

Suspended
Aug 7, 2014
Re: SDS calls out the Opelika-Auburn News front page pic of Threadwell's injury

Saturday Down South has picked up on OAN's front pic of Lequan Treadwell's injury that was on the front page of the Sunday paper with caption "FINDING A WAY". The pic is taken before the ball came out, and is taken at the exact moment his leg snaps. If you were going to use that angle, they could have used a later shot when the ball was out, but this shot is focusing on the injury.

Keeping it classy on the plains...

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-miss-football/newspaper-uses-controversial-photo/
"Keeping it classy on the plains....." Don't you think it's worth noting, before calling out the entire Auburn fan base, that the newspaper editors were UA and tOSU alums. They made the final call about what was to be released, before anyone else even knew.
This morning, when I received this paper, the first thought that came to my mind as an Auburn fan was, that was a horrible pic to choose for the sports front page. And every fellow Auburn fan I've talked to today, has had the exact same reaction.

JQBama42

Scout Team
Sep 24, 2014
Enid, OK

The headline of "Finding A Way" with that photo is the most disgusting part to me. It comes across as the injury was intentional, because "we will find a way to win, no matter what". Comes across as proud of causing the injury, when a photo of the guy recovering the ball in the end zone should have been the choice to go with the headline, IMO. It's the barn, so this doesn't really shock me at all.

Crimsissippi

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 11, 2014
Oxford or Ocean Springs, MS

This makes me very sad. The overall feeling of the whole injury is just sad. LaQuon has become a good friend of mine from class so its tough. Really puts the game and the loss in perspective. It's crazy how you can lose everything in one single play, a player, a game, a chance at the West and a chance at the playoff. Just shows how cruel this game we love so much can be. But it's tasteless on that newspaper, and Auburn has theirs coming. I have never wanted so much for Alabama to rake the field with a team so much in my life as I do after last night. While leaving the stadium I got a "War Damn Eagle! LaQuon had that one coming!" and a pom pom to the face, a shove and a sucker punch to my lip later, I found myself having punched the guy in the nose and in my first ever real altercation due to a football game in my life. On my own campus outside of my stadium. I hope Alabama beats Auburn like a drum, and I will feel no remorse for them. As an Alabama fan all my life I have never really liked them, but last night put a real hate for them in me.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000

I'd hate to feel what Treadwell felt if, God forbid, he's seen that garbage.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

"Keeping it classy on the plains....." Don't you think it's worth noting, before calling out the entire Auburn fan base, that the newspaper editors were UA and tOSU alums. They made the final call about what was to be released, before anyone else even knew.
This morning, when I received this paper, the first thought that came to my mind as an Auburn fan was, that was a horrible pic to choose for the sports front page. And every fellow Auburn fan I've talked to today, has had the exact same reaction.
You mean like Auburn fans did when that idiot Updyke poisoned the trees?

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama

And all Alabama alumni and fans I talked to were appalled by Harvey Updyke's vandalism, and yet we are still called "Updykes", even after donating a considerable amount money to the Tide for Toomer's effort.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Question: Did anyone else see what I thought was a "helmet to helmet" hit on Treadwell in the end zone as he was going down by number 3(Jones) of Auburn? I remarked to my wife when it happened that I thought it should be a targeting call.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

It doesn't surprise me in the least they used that pic & his response to the outrage from other fans..I know there's good auburn football fans, but, from my encounters with them in person..These type fans are becoming the norm for the entire fan-base & are outnumbering the good college football fans..I hate to say that & may get flamed, but, that's been my experience of them, especially when they're winning..

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Your argument may carry more weight if you weren't an AU fan masquerading under the moniker of redtusk15. I live here, and I've seen a lot of your fellow AU fans defending it, including the OAN: http://www.oanow.com/opinion/editorials/article_78cb2a08-62e6-11e4-b538-0017a43b2370.html

Don't worry though, I'm sure the NTY Foundation will have a scathing article out soon that will deflect all that criticism into Auburn being martyrs of the mean, cruel world.

BamaDan26

Jun 19, 2013

Question: Did anyone else see what I thought was a "helmet to helmet" hit on Treadwell in the end zone as he was going down by number 3(Jones) of Auburn? I remarked to my wife when it happened that I thought it should be a targeting call.
I also saw that. Thought it should have been called.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama

I don't like Auburn and have gone on record many times as stating "I'll never understand those people." But, the act of running that photo rests clearly on the newspaper, and not the Auburn fan base. If their fan base condones running the photo, I'll reverse my position, but I haven't spent any time researching that.....yet.

Crimsissippi

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 11, 2014
Oxford or Ocean Springs, MS

I think it's clearly a helmet to helmet. If you watch the replay its obvious, the Auburn DB almost looks like he headbutted him, but I won't post the video because it shows the injury. But that is just another one of those things with football, not everything gets called. It's over and time to pray for Quon and move on.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.