Link: Herbstreit On Mike & Mike Talking About Changing The Rules Against The HUNH Offenses

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Herbstreit On Mike & Mike Talking About Changing The Rules Against The HUNH Offenses

I'm glad that Kirk said this & I agree 100% with him..College Football has changed for the worse & is geared to give these HUNH offenses a big advantage..And it needs to be addressed before it does kill the game we all love so much..

Here The Link..CLICK ME

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Re: Herbstreit On Mike & Mike Talking About Changing The Rules Against The HUNH Offen

What did he say, the link wants to install ESPN radio on my iPad. Not going to da that.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Re: Herbstreit On Mike & Mike Talking About Changing The Rules Against The HUNH Offen

I like the idea. Most teams never snap the ball that quick anyway, they just line up and wait.

What did he say, the link wants to install ESPN radio on my iPad. Not going to da that.
When asked how he would change the game Herbstreit said he'd implement a 10 second rule so Defensive coordinators could match wits with the Offensive coordinators.

He's not fond of 82 - 52 games.....

Last edited:

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN

I really like Herbstreit. He's a savvy, frank analyst with very little bias. I agree with him 100%. The game is becoming too slanted in favor of offenses.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Finally someone with some credibility who is not a coach speaks up to say what we all know, HUNH is bad for everyone, but the coaches who are profiting from it. He thinks it will eventually destroy the game.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Finally someone with some credibility who is not a coach speaks up to say what we all know, HUNH is bad for everyone, but the coaches who are profiting from it. He thinks it will eventually destroy the game.
And he's right. I listened to his entire segment and simply could not agree more. This guy is, IMO, the best CFB analyst in the biz right now.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA

HHHHHMMMMMMMMM........now where have we heard this 10 second idea before? Oh Yeah.........................now I remember. And personally I agree w/what Herbie said.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

the officials should at least have time to count the players. I think that's a no brainer.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Can we reign in Oregon and Maryland on the 171 combinations of Unis too? I would like to be able to ID a team by looking at them....

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Yup..That's pretty much is how the NFL handles the HUNH style offense when Chip Kelly jumped to the NFL as a HC & I wish college football would simply do exactly how the NFL has handled the HUNH style offense..Their refs keeps control of the pace of the game, but, still allows Chip's offense to run fairly fast in the process..

College football refs has lost control of the game & has allowed Gus & other HC's to dictate the pace of the game, to the point, they can't even count the number of player that's in the offensive set..And that's be design by Gus to give them an advantage..It's wayyy past due for college football refs to control the pace of the game & not the HC's..It's BS & i ruining the game to the point it's going to cause a lot of hardcore football fans to lose interest in the game & when it starts to hit the NCAA in the pockets from lost revenue..That's when changes will be made..I hope in the off-season changes are made to level the playing field that's unfairly tilted to the HUNH style offense in a big big way at the moment..I don't care how good a D is, when the game isn't on a level playing field, it's not fair to them in the least bit, and that's exactly the basis of the Gus Bus offense..

One change I want to see made is when the O-Line gets set to snap the ball, they shouldn't be allowed to raise back up, to look like "Meerkats" changing the play, after the OC sees what set the D is in..That does get on my nerves to no end when they do that..
I like the idea. Most teams never snap the ball that quick anyway, they just line up and wait.

When asked how he would change the game Herbstreit said he'd implement a 10 second rule so Defensive coordinators could match wits with the Offensive coordinators.

He's not fond of 82 - 52 games.....

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

This makes three credible proponents: Saban, Stoops, and Herbstreit.

Need a couple more for the critical mass necessary to effect change, but this is a really good start.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Man Herbie went OFF on the HUNH - he said several times how much he hated it. I've never heard anyone so vociferous in their call for rule changes. Wow.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Yup..And Kirk is the kinda of popular TV personality that can get people talking about changes being made & the NCAA will have to eventually make changes if more popular TV personalities talks about it..Cause it's beyond ridiculous at how slanted its become for the HUNH offense & it's not fair to D's..With all these high scoring games & yards being put on D's..Changes need to be made & hopefully after this season..
Man Herbie went OFF on the HUNH - he said several times how much he hated it. I've never heard anyone so vociferous in their call for rule changes. Wow.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

There will be rule changes in the NFL. I saw a piece about Philly and their advantage with the NFL communication system . The helmet radios shut off with 15 seconds left on play clock. Philly goes so fast that they often run plays with the communication system live, which means coaches can actually tell the QB which receiver is open during the play. You can't penalize the whole league by turning the system off earlier, it would be easier to slow philly down. I think this will trickle down to the college game under a different reason. Stands to reason the game is violent , so the the more plays ran, the more hits, collisions, and thuds. The more likely it is taking a toll on the health of players.
I don't like it because it violates the spirit of the game, it's not fast break basketball. I hope my beloved Crimson tide never adopts a true HUNH.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

Great find TideMan! Perhaps there's a glimmer of hope for real man football.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005

Well the reason something has to be done is it rushes the officials to the point that they can't do their job to the point that it gives a competitive advantage to the offense. I know recently everyone has been talking about the barn running multiple plays with 12 men but the one that really irritates me is all of the linemen going down feild on a pass. It's jus not fair to the defense. A lot of guys use the o line as their key to determing if a play is a run or pass. If a line fires out and heads down field the d reads as a run a give on the pass. Some of those guys are a good 5-6 yards down field. And the Barn isn't the only guilty party, Kansas State makes a living on it. Their ab will run toward the line and then haul up and pass, and it's a slow developing play so you can't tell me the online is pass blocking cause d lineman would be reading pass and rush the passer. It has to start being called!!!

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007

It's funny at first he said "I'm not Nick Saban on here talking about give the defenses a break but" then he proceeds to make exact same point Saban did. :biggrin:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It's funny at first he said "I'm not Nick Saban on here talking about give the defenses a break but" then he proceeds to make exact same point Saban did. :biggrin:
Yep. He might as well as have been...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.