Senate majority leader question????

TydDFens

1st Team
Feb 5, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I know there are a lot of resident experts on here on a variety of topics so here is my question. McConnell is the senate minority leader right now, so now that the repubs won the senate is he automatically the majority leader or does the new senate vote on their majority leader? Same question on Boehner? McConnell and Boehner neither one have impressed me as having a spine.

I did try to look this up on wikipedia first but it didn't really answer my question.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I believe when the new congress takes office Jan 3, the caucuses will hold elections for the various leadership positions. I know Harold Ford, jr. tried to replace Dick Gephardt once when after the Democrats lost a midterm.

Last edited:

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I believe when the new congress takes office Jan 3, the caucuses will hold elections for the various leadership positions. I know Harold Ford, jr. tried to replace Dick Gephardt once when after the Democrats lost a midterm.
Harold Ford, Jr, I figured he'd have been a senior senator by now. He had a lot of things going for him. Guess he's better off on Wall St making a more honest living.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The HOR and the Senate will elect their leaders in January.

It's theoretically possible that they could elect leaders from either party. It's also theoretically possible that Judy Bonner will fire Nick Saban in order to hire me.

Within parties, it's almost, but not quite, impossible to oust a leader against his / her will -- the Speaker of the House, the Senate majority or minority leader, etc. Pretty much takes getting nekkid pictures of them with the proverbial dead girl or live boy.

True, there will be elections. But as a practical reality, Boehner will keep his spot, and McConnell will stay the Republican Senate Leader. By virtue of the fact that the Senate changed from majority Democrat to majority Republican, McConnell elevates from Senate Minority Leader to Senate Majority Leader.

Barring revelations of incredible proportions, the selection of congressional leaders is a formality with no substance.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The Speaker is voted on by the entire House, though the vote us usually along party lines.

The majority, minority and whip positions are selected by each party.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.