Crazier in Alabama

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
If/when Alabama ever revises their antiquated, outdated, imbecilic Constitution that is longer than just about all states and the US Constitution combined....I'll care. Not a knock on you, Bama's Constitution and all the legislators in Monkeytown are a freaking joke.
FIFY

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
from the outside it is funny to watch. If I paid taxes in Alabama i'd be furious. How much more money can the State afford to waste on these cases that they continue to lose?
I'm confident that if push comes to shove, they'll raid the education trust fund to pay for additional litigation.

Real answer: They don't care if they lose. The real goal of such legislation is to serve as a lightning rod to help whip of the voting base and get re-elected.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
But in a remarkable section at the end of the opinion, Kennedy observed that “the Court has [often] referred to the laws of other countries and to international authorities as instructive for its interpretation” of the Eighth Amendment, citing five previous death penalty cases in which the justices had cited the laws of “civilized nations” to guide their own opinions.
Count me as one who feels that foreign and international laws should have no bearing on the interpretation of our laws. The only exception I can see would be English common law up to the point that we created our own legal system.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'm confident that if push comes to shove, they'll raid the education trust fund to pay for additional litigation.

Real answer: They don't care if they lose. The real goal of such legislation is to serve as a lightning rod to help whip of the voting base and get re-elected.
of course they would and you are exactly correct. This stuff will never stop when the electorate continues to reward them for doing it. The only loss they care about is during election season

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
of course they would and you are exactly correct. This stuff will never stop when the electorate continues to reward them for doing it. The only loss they care about is during election season
They dang sure don't care about wasting taxpayer's dollars; we give it to them, and pay them to waste it, and re-elect them, so it must all be good...smh
I love this state, having been born and lived 98% of my life here, but God Bless Us we have an abundance of ignorant and lazy people. Problem is all of the ignorant ones vote.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
They dang sure don't care about wasting taxpayer's dollars; we give it to them, and pay them to waste it, and re-elect them, so it must all be good...smh
I love this state, having been born and lived 98% of my life here, but God Bless Us we have an abundance of ignorant and lazy people. Problem is all of the ignorant ones vote or hold office.
FIFY

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
from the outside it is funny to watch. If I paid taxes in Alabama i'd be furious. How much more money can the State afford to waste on these cases that they continue to lose?
For real. Alabama is one of those states I can't imagine living in ever again.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I love this state, having been born and lived 98% of my life here, but God Bless Us we have an abundance of ignorant and lazy people. Problem is all of the ignorant ones vote.
what kills me is how often I read people here of tidefans supporting exactly the kind of crap we are talking about here.

Prayer in school, illegal and proven not allowed by the constitution, but when it comes up a large majority on tidefans supports the politician is "proud of them for defending our christian rights!"

Roy Moore and his unconstitutional pandering crap, same deal

Baldwin County and the pre-meeting prayer "let's stand behind em!"

teaching creationism "support our christian right to teach our children about the lie of evil-lution"

Gay rights, same

all of this is costing money, your money people not mine* (well a little of mine as I contribute financially to the FFRF that often fights these things)

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
For real. Alabama is one of those states I can't imagine living in ever again.
I generally agree, though I don't think it would kill me to move down the road to the Orange Beach area. Watching the Alabama political ads coming out of Mobile affiliates is astonishing and amusing. It's my home state and I love it for that. But since moving away almost 20yrs ago, it now looks pretty different from the outside.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I generally agree, though I don't think it would kill me to move down the road to the Orange Beach area. Watching the Alabama political ads coming out of Mobile affiliates is astonishing and amusing. It's my home state and I love it for that. But since moving away almost 20yrs ago, it now looks pretty different from the outside.
and you don't have state income taxes, which I am sure is nice

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
what kills me is how often I read people here of tidefans supporting exactly the kind of crap we are talking about here.

Prayer in school, illegal and proven not allowed by the constitution, but when it comes up a large majority on tidefans supports the politician is "proud of them for defending our christian rights!"

Roy Moore and his unconstitutional pandering crap, same deal

Baldwin County and the pre-meeting prayer "let's stand behind em!"

teaching creationism "support our christian right to teach our children about the lie of evil-lution"

Gay rights, same

all of this is costing money, your money people not mine* (well a little of mine as I contribute financially to the FFRF that often fights these things)
I don't believe the Constitution disallows prayer in school. That was a wide reaching liberal interpretation, dare I say bastardization, of the Constitution. The Establishment Clause specifically prohibited the federal government from establishing a religion, however, the States were able to do just that. That's part of states rights. As I stated earlier, the interpretation has been overreaching, which should come as no surprise to anyone.

The issue of prayer in school comes from the funding of schools via federal tax dollars and since those federal dollars are in play, that's how they get around the issue of prayer in school and are able to ban it. Of course what no one wants to talk about is that the actual funding of education at the federal level has no Constitutional basis to begin with.

Hugo Black's interpretation of Everson v. Board of Education (1947) "Neither a state nor the federal government can set up a church." was a complete and utter misinterpretation of the Constitution. Unfortunately, it's this case law that has been used going forward to support the leftist agenda in eliminating prayer in school.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
and you don't have state income taxes, which I am sure is nice
Very much so. But believe it or not, I didn't change residency until fairly recently. So even though I haven't lived in Bama since 1996, I've been loyally paying for her waste until a couple of years ago. I want a refund.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
The problem is there are no good people to elect in Alabama. We had a major change in the legislature 2 years ago by handing control over to republicans. Nothing really changed that I can see. No matter who we vote for the same policies are in effect, so we need better people to start running before we cam turn this state around.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.