Link: Blake Sims' Alabama Legacy Starts or Ends with LSU Game

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Blake Sims’ last trip to Tiger Stadium was a memorable one.

He watched from the sidelines as running back T.J. Yeldon took a screen pass 28 yards for a touchdown in the final minute to take the lead on what ended up being the game-winning play.

Engulfed in the celebration, Sims jumped up on one of the Crimson Tide benches and gestured towards the LSU crowd behind him, caught squarely on a CBS camera.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Please... the kid has FAR exceeded my expectations. Win or Lose, he's a Bama man in my book and has put himself close to the top (with reasonable asterisks and notes) of Bama QB's already. If I had to go to war, I'd be honored to have him on my team.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
No kidding. If there is ever a poster child for coming in and doing whatever is necessary for the team when asked to the best of your ability and not whining about it, then Blake Sims is the guy. He has been shifted around, played out of position, learned new systems, taken a tremendous amount of heat for his limited A Day performance and tossed overboard prematurely by many fans (guilty) as soon as Coker set foot on campus.

Blake was not a 5* quarterback coming out of high school. If he was going to be a quarterback, it was said, he would have to be strictly a zone-read run 80% of the time and throw only really short passes when things got desperate. This summer he changed himself and his performance dramatically. He has already exceeded my expectations for this season. He continues to improve.

We may not beat LSU. Blake may implode (though I don't think so). But as far as I am concerned he epitomizes the concepts of team work and selflessness. In every interview he spends far more time complimenting his teammates than he does talking about himself. You put together a team with 85 players with the Blake Sims attitude and work effort and you'd laugh your way to the championship.

I hope they vote him a permanent captain and I'm there to clap when he puts his name in cement at Denny Chimes....

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Funny......UGA fans were so bitter that Sims picked Alabama. Said he'd never play QB, said he'd never amount to anything, said Saban lied to him, on and on and on.

Hudson Mason, Blake Sims says hi.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Agree or disagree about the "legacy" question, it's the way he will be perceived; and that will end with a loss and it will be what it is, or it will continue with each win. If Bama wins out and wins it all, he will (in all likelihood) go down as being the best single-season QB Bama has ever had. If not, his stats will still bear out that he was one of the best.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
To me, he is a great example of what you want in a player. Did what was asked of him. Great team mate. Worked hard to improve himself. Selfless. Strong competitor. Maximized potential, great drive to win, enthusiastic w/out pointing at himself, shoulders responsibility. Really, what more can any team/coach/fan ask for. Proud of you Blake, no matter how many wins or loses the team ends up with.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Win or lose this saturday night in Big Stick, I have total confidence in this Tide Team, in that they will play their hearts out. I hope we can escape the injury bug from here on out, we are going to need everyone in this coming stretch of important games. Blake Sims has exceeded all expectations.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Agree or disagree about the "legacy" question, it's the way he will be perceived; and that will end with a loss and it will be what it is, or it will continue with each win. If Bama wins out and wins it all, he will (in all likelihood) go down as being the best single-season QB Bama has ever had. If not, his stats will still bear out that he was one of the best.
Yep. CNS likes to say this is the biggest came of the century, just like the last one and the next one. In order to win out, Bama has to beat LSU. Blake has the opportunity over the next 4 to 5 games to make Bama fans remember him for more than just being a team player. I'm sure he'd give the cliche answer of saying he wants to be remembered as a team player, but he's already accomplished that.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
Funny......UGA fans were so bitter that Sims picked Alabama. Said he'd never play QB, said he'd never amount to anything, said Saban lied to him, on and on and on.

Sims grew up a UGA fan, and wanted to go to UGA, despite having a relationship with CMR since 9th grade, UGA never really pursued him until the last minute. I remember the original article and interview, but its gone now here is a link to an archive http://forum.gon.com/archive/index.php/t-428701.html just one more example of UGA coming up short because of CMR lack of attention to detail.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

I read an article other day pointing out how many dual threat QB's from GA are starting at other big schools. Writer was pointing out Richt's stubbornness to stick with pocket passers when the game seems to be moving the other way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.