Paul Bryant Jr. lobbying Robert Bentley to shut down UAB football?

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
According to one of my reliable sources, it's going to snow this winter. According to another reliable source, the Vulcan statue lowers his arm at night when no on is watching. We all have reliable sources.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I really don't study this type of stuff in depth, but my question would be, "Why does Paul Bryant Jr. give a crap about shutting down the UAB football program?".
Just my opinion, and I'm not a UAB football fan at all, but they have as much right to have a football program as any other school in the country.
Paul Bryant Jr. needs to mind his own business.
sip
I actually don't think Paul Bryant Jr is against UAB football. That is just a convenient excuse for UAB fans to use for UAB football failures. However....Maybe you didn't realize...Paul Bryant Jr is chairman of the University of Alabama system Board of Trustees. He has the right(and obligation) to make sure the entire University is being run in a prudent and responsible manner.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I really don't study this type of stuff in depth, but my question would be, "Why does Paul Bryant Jr. give a crap about shutting down the UAB football program?".
Just my opinion, and I'm not a UAB football fan at all, but they have as much right to have a football program as any other school in the country.
sip
So you are buying that nonsense hook, line and sinker?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
sip
No, they don't. In this time of shrinking resources and rising tuition, not every school in a system can maintain a FBS team. They've proven they can't to the tune of almost a half a hundred million, so far, that could have been put places where it would have returned a real benefit to another area of the university system, rather than the 3-4 thousand they turn up every game. PBJ is just their convenient whipping boy. It's been discussed by the BOT for years...

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I've heard the question "Why is Alabama/Paul Bryant Jr. scared of UAB???" asked numerous times today. That's what people who nothing about the situation think.

This is what it is really about:

Birmingham’s City Council was half of UAB’s football attendance last year.

No lead, no joke, just this: Birmingham City Council spends close to a quarter of a million dollars each year on UAB season football tickets for city employees, neighborhood associations and youth groups. Does anyone really want to see UAB football? No, and that is counter-intuitively the reason that City Council spends $225,000 each year on 5,000 season tickets.

UAB averaged 11,587 fans in 2013, meaning that the bloc of tickets that Birmingham bought from UAB makes up nearly half of the school’s attendance. Let that sink in, almost half of UAB’s attendance are free tickets handed out by the city council and mayor. If all those free tickets are actually taken up that means that only an average of 6,587 people bought tickets to UAB football games last year.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I'm a UA and UAB alum. I'd scrap the football program and put those resources into basketball. I don't see any reason to keep the program.

Id be curious how Samford's football team's finances look compared to UAB's.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I have no problem one way or the other when it comes to UAB having a football program, as long as it turns a profit, and it supports itself, more power to 'em..But..If the fans aren't going to come out to support their football program & they're in the negative in sales & revenue..It needs to be shut down & they concentrate on their BBall Program..Empty seats at games shows their fan-base won't support their team & I don't think it should be allowed to continue..JMO

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
No, they actually don't.

First, there are standards that the NCAA is supposed to uphold in terms of minimum attendance numbers. UAB does not meet minimum requirements in terms of actual fans buying tickets, they do things like have the city buy the tickets to meet minimum ticket sales.

Secondly, they are a huge drain on the finances of the state. UAB gets millions directed towards their athletic program, and they lose most of it. They are wasting taxpayer money at a pretty high rate. Why? Because they think they are entitled to a football program, but in doing that they think they are entitled to other people's money to fund said football program.

The program does not exist on its own merits. They didn't even exist until after the latest round of scholarship reductions, they only exist because of lax rule enforcement by the NCAA, and most importantly, they only exist because of their wasteful use of tax dollars. They simply don't have the fan support to merit the program.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I'm sure they count the tickets sold, which would include all the ones bought by Birmingham.

Translation: doesn't matter if they actually show up or not.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Reading their message board makes me appreciate the strict policy we have here on profanity.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Actually, I believe the NCAA standard is supposed to be based on attendance - butts in seats...
That rule has never been enforced as far as I know. One of the directional schools in Michigan has Pepsi buy a bunch of discounted tickets on exchange for pouring rights at their stadium.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
sip
Ummm, Paul Bryant Jr. is on the board of trustees, so it kind of is his business to do what's best for the UA system. That being said, there is no conspiracy to shut down UAB's football program.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Ummm, Paul Bryant Jr. is on the board of trustees, so it kind of is his business to do what's best for the UA system. That being said, there is no conspiracy to shut down UAB's football program.
The extension center crowd is constantly paranoid the BOT is going to shut the whole school down and have UAB just be a medical school. They have about 15 threads devoted to one topic on there right now.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
Actually, Paul Jr. is NOT the President of the U of A Systems BOT. The chair is Karen Brooks. Paul Jr. is not even on the athletic committee but is on the advisory committee to Karen Brooks and he serves on the BOT.
Chancellor Bob Witt who answers to the BOT wants to see the U of A System run like a business. The football program at UAB is a tremendous cash drain on UAB and has no measurable benefits to the school. The lost money on the football program could used in so many better ways to support the school.
This whole thread is far away from the facts. The fact is UAB football is not an asset to UAB or the U of A System and in my opinion will not survive another three years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.