Paul Bryant Jr. lobbying Robert Bentley to shut down UAB football?

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Yes, if UAB can have a football team that is not a giant money drain, then more power to them. I'm not sure whether they can do that or not, but I am sure they cannot do it at the FBS level.

In the state of Alabama generally and in the University of Alabama system specifically, there is more demand for money than there is money to meet demand. Spending money for FBS-level UAB Blazer football, with "crowds" of a few thousand fans at best, is an ill-advised luxury. That Birmingham/Jefferson County has used tax dollars to buy tickets to the games and gave them away so that UAB can maintain FBS status is scandalous.

This may sort itself out naturally as the so-called Power 5 move on to another level....

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
There is no reason to spend money on a product that in all likelihood will never be able to pay for itself. The UA system has probably spent close to 30 or 40 million to prop it up over the years with very little interest or return. Time to cut bait.

I'll bet that most of those guys who posted in that thread don't PAY for tickets to see their own team.

Last edited:

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
UAB football fans are doing a fine job shutting it down all by themselves. Don't blame Paul Bryant Jr. or the U of A.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
This is rumor ONLY. UAB football is a giant waste of resources....and funny, no one at UAB cares about football until they think it might be shut down.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Rubbish. UT-Arlington does not have a football program, but has non-football affiliation in the Sun Belt conference.
Speaking of the Sun Belt and my alma mater, I wish South Alabama would not be allowed to move to D-1 or Bowl Division or whatever the flavor is now. Let them play with D-1AA like North Alabama and other schools.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I lurk on that message board regularly. I wouldn't put much stock in what that guy has to say. In another thread on there, he claimed Bill Clark already had an offer to leave UAB but stayed because he was dedicated to the program. Yes, he claimed Clark could have left at mid-season for another job.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I really don't study this type of stuff in depth, but my question would be, "Why does Paul Bryant Jr. give a crap about shutting down the UAB football program?".
Just my opinion, and I'm not a UAB football fan at all, but they have as much right to have a football program as any other school in the country.
Paul Bryant Jr. needs to mind his own business.
sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.