Calling all my Bama mechanics. :) Antifreeze help

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
My brother was having problems with his vehicle because he had never changed his antifreeze. It cost him a nice amount of money so I decided to check mine. Well of course it was a nasty brown and rust color so I decided to do a flush. I flushed it every couple days since it was so bad. It's also something I never thought about checking so I wanted to get it done before it got too cold.

Anyway, today I put in new antifreeze. I used the concentrate, and I put in around 5 liters of concentrate and topped it off with distilled water. It didn't take much more than a half gallon of distilled water to fill up my radiator. I'm guessing the engine block had about a gallon of distilled water because when I tested it, it was only at a +5 degree reading, too diluted.

I drained around 2-3 liters and filled with some more concentrate. It still was reading at +5. How much more do I need to drain? Also, right now my overflow tank has pure concentrate in it. Do I need to do something with that or since I'm too diluted, it won't matter?

I am learning on the fly so any help will be great.

TydDFens

1st Team
Feb 5, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I put a new radiator on one of my cars a little while back. I just drained the radiator (drain plug at the bottom). I didn't drain the block. Put the radiator on and refilled it with the 50/50 antifreeze, already premixed with water. It was good to go. I filled it then checked it the next day to top it off, and filled the overflow to the bottom line. I always use the premix and not the concentrate though - for the exact reason of your post. So, I don't have any info on the concentrate. Keep your dogs away from the anti freeze, it will kill them if they drink it. My shade tree advice would be drain it again and put in the 50/50 but, I aint no expert. I know it is expensive but good peace of mind.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
My shade tree advice would be drain it again and put in the 50/50 but, I aint no expert. I know it is expensive but good peace of mind.
Yep. This. I'm no expert either, but it sounds to me that you likely now have no way to know exactly what mix you have in there. Consequently there's no way to know how to correct it to 50/50. If I were you, I'd drain it and start over with a known 50/50 quantity. May cost you a bit more, but the peace of mind will be worth it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My brother was having problems with his vehicle because he had never changed his antifreeze. It cost him a nice amount of money so I decided to check mine. Well of course it was a nasty brown and rust color so I decided to do a flush. I flushed it every couple days since it was so bad. It's also something I never thought about checking so I wanted to get it done before it got too cold.

Anyway, today I put in new antifreeze. I used the concentrate, and I put in around 5 liters of concentrate and topped it off with distilled water. It didn't take much more than a half gallon of distilled water to fill up my radiator. I'm guessing the engine block had about a gallon of distilled water because when I tested it, it was only at a +5 degree reading, too diluted.

I drained around 2-3 liters and filled with some more concentrate. It still was reading at +5. How much more do I need to drain? Also, right now my overflow tank has pure concentrate in it. Do I need to do something with that or since I'm too diluted, it won't matter?

I am learning on the fly so any help will be great.
Jessie, go down to Advantage or Autozone - any of them will do - and ask for an antifreeze tester. They will bring out, or show you, a little syringe-looking thing with colored balls in it. Buy it, only costs a few dollars. Come back and run your vehicle for about 15-20 minutes to make sure the mixture is thoroughly mixed. Then, dip the tip in the reservoir and squeeze the bulb so as to draw up some of the mixture. A certain number of balls will float (they are designed with different specific gravities) and read on the little scale. It will tell you exactly what temps you are protected to, so you can adjust. Hard to get too much, unless it gets to way over half, in which case it won't cool as effectively...

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Jessica, your antifreeze is probably not diluted enough. Strangely straight antifreeze will freeze at a higher temperature than diluted antifreeze (up to a point). Antifreeze tester is a good idea.

Read the back of the antifreeze container for proper dilution.

I would drive the car for a while. When it gets warmed up the thermostat will open and the antifreeze/ water will mix inside the engine. You won't hurt a thing. It's not freezing weather right now.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Jessica, your antifreeze is probably not diluted enough. Strangely straight antifreeze will freeze at a higher temperature than diluted antifreeze (up to a point). Antifreeze tester is a good idea.

Read the back of the antifreeze container for proper dilution.

I would drive the car for a while. When it gets warmed up the thermostat will open and the antifreeze/ water will mix inside the engine. You won't hurt a thing. It's not freezing weather right now.
Yeah, try to figure out how much ** you put in and how much water. It should be about 50/50

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
All good advice. I was a mechanic for trade for around 20 years. It sounds like you already have a hydrometer (device you draw coolant into and check freeze protection by the # of floating balls). I'd first make sure it has circulated good and that the system is full. It's very easy to get air trapped in the system and unknowingly run the engine hot (if there's air where the temp sensor for the gauge is located, it will read fine on the gauge but could be too hot in the engine) if you only have a light, it's even a bigger crap shoot.

Start and run the engine. It could take up to 20-30 min to get it warmed up. Periodically feel of the upper radiator hose and make sure it ultimately gets hot to the touch. Make sure you run it until the electric cooling fan cycles on (if applicable)and verify that the air being pulled through is very, very warm. Make sure the AC is off and that it's not on defrost. That will cycle the AC compressor and run an electric fan for the AC condensor and it'll take even longer to warm up. If the air's not warm/hot, the thermostat isn't open yet. Once you've verified all of this, allow it to cool off(very very important!!! Hot coolant can get you a trip to the Birmingham Burn Unit real quick!!) and check the coolant mixture AT THE RADIATOR not the overflow with the hydrometer...aka antifreeze checker thingy!
Depending on the car and the size of coolant system 5liters pure antifreeze should be close to enough. A rough rule of thumb to get close is ....4cylinders-1 gal/and check......6 cyl- 1 1/2 gal......and 8 cyl....2 gal...pure antifreeze then top with water.... I like to mix mine a little more than, but a 50/50 mix is recommended. I don't use the pre diluted, especially after a flush, because it's impossible to get all the water out of the block when you go to refill (and you pay close to concentrate price for half the product).

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I was told by my Jeep buddy that is a 2.6 gallon capacity. So he said to put 1.3 straight coolant then top off with water. I put the coolant in there fine, but when I went to top it off with water, it filled up after half a gallon. The block must have a good amount in it.

I only drove it about a mile after I put it in there but I let my engine run idle for around 30 minutes or so. I then drove it to town last night and drove it to work this morning so I am about to check it.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Okay so either it wasn't mixed up good enough or both new testers I got aren't accurate. I did notice my overflow tank had "drained" a little. It was past the fill line now today it is at the fill line. What does that mean?

I left it running for around 40 minutes when I got to work. Let it cool down. Tested it first with the new tester I bought. It is the one with a needle like gauge in it. This one went up to over -45 degrees. The other one I tried was that cheap floating ball one. It had 3 balls floating where as yesterday was only 2.

What gives and how do I know which is accurate?

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
If you got the coolant all in there before adding any extra water to top it off, you should be good to go.

I'd bet it hadn't circulated enough to mix when you first tested it. As far as the overflow level is concerned, that's pretty normal. The system probably had little pockets of air in it, thus appearing to be full but actually a little bit low. After running and driving it and getting it good and warmed up, it pulled in the extra it needed as it sat cooling off. If the level continues to drop a substantial amount, I'd check for a leak....but from the description and the work that was performed, it's perfectly normal!

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Okay so either it wasn't mixed up good enough or both new testers I got aren't accurate. I did notice my overflow tank had "drained" a little. It was past the fill line now today it is at the fill line. What does that mean?

I left it running for around 40 minutes when I got to work. Let it cool down. Tested it first with the new tester I bought. It is the one with a needle like gauge in it. This one went up to over -45 degrees. The other one I tried was that cheap floating ball one. It had 3 balls floating where as yesterday was only 2.

I found that if you start by first mixing the antifreeze properly, it works a lot better. I always start with an extra, clean and empty 1 gallon antifreeze jug (besides the new jug of antifreeze). I then pour in 1/2 gallon of clean water. Then I finish filling it with half of the antifreeze from the new jug. Then I refill the new jug with another 1/2 gallon of water. I then just have to shake up both jugs and that will give me 2 gallons of correctly mixed antifreeze, ready for use in whatever vehicle I choose.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

It means that you had air in the system and now the fluid from the overflow tank replaced it.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Wanted to update.

I got my oil changed this weekend since it was due for one. Anyway, they tested my antifreeze and said it was at -34. I'm still measuring over -45. Am I good or do I need to drain some and put more water in? Not so much worried about it in the winter but will it hurt in the summer if it's too much pure antifreeze vs. Water?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Wanted to update.

I got my oil changed this weekend since it was due for one. Anyway, they tested my antifreeze and said it was at -34. I'm still measuring over -45. Am I good or do I need to drain some and put more water in? Not so much worried about it in the winter but will it hurt in the summer if it's too much pure antifreeze vs. Water?
For Alabama temps, I think you're good. If it gets to -34 here, we're all in trouble. And I wouldn't worry too much about summer. It doesn't take but a few minutes of running your engine to get the antifreeze and water mixed really well.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Wanted to update.

-34 is a 50/50 mixture so even if your reading of -45 is correct you are still very close to 50/50 and you should be fine in the summer. You are in the yellow area.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.