Link: LES MILES - 'Game left a bad taste in my mouth'( officiating)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Re: LES MILES. 'Game left a bad taste in my mouth'( officiating)

I think it is difficult to officiate a game where you have two teams that are playing at such an intense level.
I didn't think the officiating was that bad. I honestly think they tried to let the two teams play.
There was defensive contact by both teams on nearly every pass play, and they were very consistent in their calls(no calls).
The personal foul calls against both teams were iffy at best, but again, they were consistent.
Lester gripes about the personal foul when they were on the two.
He must have forgotten that we got one called against us when we were on the one.
And then, once we got to the one again, we had a procedure penalty.
The difference is that we over came our mistakes and they didn't.
Agreed on the difficulty because of intensity, but also because of the incredible speed of the game.
I wouldn't want their job.
sip

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

When it comes to Auburn and LSU fans whining about officiating I can only say "So many sour grapes, yet so little time to make vinegar".

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Did ole Les have a comment about LSU's #84 pulling one of our player's pants down?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Haven't seen ole Les come out and say, yeah our touchdown wasn't a catch the ball clearly moved a little after the one foot was down. You have to secure the ball throughout the catch. Definitely not enough there to overturn , IMO.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Apparently Les thinks that one call for unsportsmanlike conduct was the single most important call of the entire game. He's sure they would have scored a TD without that call. I'm not sure he would have scored a TD.

But look at it this way. They had a first and goal at the 6 and got moved back 15 yards. In OT, we had first and goal at the 1, but got the same penalty. We still found a way to score a touchdown. They still could have scored a TD, but we held them to a field goal.

Quit whining Lester! Krymsonman
If you read the LSU board, they claim that the penalty forced LSU to play for the FG instead of the TD they they surely would have scored.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Still enjoying the incredible excuses the LSU fans are creating. Their continued meltdown is epic.

Arky opened as a favorite over the tiggers - it might be fun to watch this team from here on out. Bama might have broken them.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

The call against Brown was a make-up call, i.e. how it's done in basketball. It just had the feel of the officials were trying to make up for the earlier call against LSU.
That is the same thing I thought when it happened. We just overcame it and they were not able to.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I wouldn't have called PI on any of the final 4 plays. To me, if the defender has good position and there is some hand checking that's not PI. If either player pushes off or grabs arms or hands, well that's PI. I would have come closer to calling PI on 3rd down on Nick Perry, but I thought that was a clean play too.

The personal foul on Leon Brown in OT was ridiculous. I was working Saturday night and only got to listen to the last 2 minutes of regulation and then the OT. On the radio Eli was concerned with how the refs weren't blowing the whistle soon enough and allow all the "scrums". If there is a big pile of people and the refs don't stop the play when there is a scrum how is a player supposed to know what to do? You could see Leon after the penalty was called saying he didn't hear the whistle.

I don't blame Les for being mad and blaming the refs. It's like Spurrier last week. Sometimes human nature takes over. Les is going to be in a bad mood for a while. I was in a bad mood for 2 months after last year's Iron Bowl.

I used to really dislike Les but have grown to respect him a lot because LSU is consistently good AND he says things like, "On the last play, I feel like we tried to create a scenario to have a want to win the game. The refs have a 50/50 chance of thinking about making the play important." Les recruits well and plays real man football.

I sure hope he takes the Michigan gig.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Still enjoying the incredible excuses the LSU fans are creating. Their continued meltdown is epic.

Arky opened as a favorite over the tiggers - it might be fun to watch this team from here on out. Bama might have broken them.
That's my thinking too...ol Les better concentrate on arky tape and let this game go. Otherwise, he may lose to bama twice.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I wouldn't have called PI on any of the final 4 plays. To me, if the defender has good position and there is some hand checking that's not PI. If either player pushes off or grabs arms or hands, well that's PI. I would have come closer to calling PI on 3rd down on Nick Perry, but I thought that was a clean play too.

The personal foul on Leon Brown in OT was ridiculous. I was working Saturday night and only got to listen to the last 2 minutes of regulation and then the OT. On the radio Eli was concerned with how the refs weren't blowing the whistle soon enough and allow all the "scrums". If there is a big pile of people and the refs don't stop the play when there is a scrum how is a player supposed to know what to do? You could see Leon after the penalty was called saying he didn't hear the whistle.

I don't blame Les for being mad and blaming the refs. It's like Spurrier last week. Sometimes human nature takes over. Les is going to be in a bad mood for a while. I was in a bad mood for 2 months after last year's Iron Bowl.

I used to really dislike Les but have grown to respect him a lot because LSU is consistently good AND he says things like, "On the last play, I feel like we tried to create a scenario to have a want to win the game. The refs have a 50/50 chance of thinking about making the play important." Les recruits well and plays real man football.

I sure hope he takes the Michigan gig.
Watching again, you can hear the whistle blow as Leon lowers his pads. Very bad make up call. CBS frames it badly on replay. They start the replay with everyone already on the ground except Leon and another Bama player. This gives the illusion the play is over .

I like ole Lester, he is good for CFB.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Sorry if already answered: After their penalty it was second and goal. After ours, it was first and 10. Did the fact that we made a first down on the play stop us from being first and goal?

Apparently Les thinks that one call for unsportsmanlike conduct was the single most important call of the entire game. He's sure they would have scored a TD without that call. I'm not sure he would have scored a TD.

But look at it this way. They had a first and goal at the 6 and got moved back 15 yards. In OT, we had first and goal at the 1, but got the same penalty. We still found a way to score a touchdown. They still could have scored a TD, but we held them to a field goal.

Quit whining Lester! Krymsonman

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sorry if already answered: After their penalty it was second and goal. After ours, it was first and 10. Did the fact that we made a first down on the play stop us from being first and goal?
Their penalty came after first and goal. Our penalty came after first and ten. With the 15 yards marked off from the spot of the foul, LSU faced second and goal. We had first and ten because our foul was a dead ball foul after the first and ten at the 25.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
The only bad taste that Miles should have in his mouth is the fact that LSU had a 16+ minutes time of possession advantage (most of that in the second half) with nothing to show for it. Officiating had nothing to do with the winner or loser.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Their penalty came after first and goal. Our penalty came after first and ten. With the 15 yards marked off from the spot of the foul, LSU faced second and goal. We had first and ten because our foul was a dead ball foul after the first and ten at the 25.
Thanks, but that's awfully confusing. So it's where the play started as opposed to where it ended up?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Somebody help me here, I've only seen the game once. LSU downed the ball inside the Bama one. Didn't Gary say he thought it should have been called a touchback because the LSU player that downed the ball was falling into the end zone? So the ball should have been at the Bama 20 yard line instead of the one yard line with 3 time outs left and needing to move the ball 50 yards to kick the game winning field goal. Is this right?

If my facts are right, this would trump the personal foul call against LSU after the fumble recovery. Play calling by Bama would have been totally different.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Thanks, but that's awfully confusing. So it's where the play started as opposed to where it ended up?
Yes because LSU started inside the 10, but no overall. They already were "goal to go" when the dead ball foul was committed. Alabama was not. That is where the difference is.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Yes because LSU started inside the 10, but no overall. They already were "goal to go" when the dead ball foul was committed. Alabama was not. That is where the difference is.
Aw, the simplicity of baseball.

So they were first and goal and we were about to be. Their penalty also was a dead ball foul and ours was not. Am I getting close?

I've seen in several threads in which knowledgeable posters were also confused about this, thinking we were first and goal from the 16 after Brown's penalty, instead of first and 10.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Somebody help me here, I've only seen the game once. LSU downed the ball inside the Bama one. Didn't Gary say he thought it should have been called a touchback because the LSU player that downed the ball was falling into the end zone? So the ball should have been at the Bama 20 yard line instead of the one yard line with 3 time outs left and needing to move the ball 50 yards to kick the game winning field goal. Is this right?

If my facts are right, this would trump the personal foul call against LSU after the fumble recovery. Play calling by Bama would have been totally different.
If you field the ball and your momentum carries you into the end zone, it is a touchback. It is clear that the player could not have stayed out of the end zone. He stood still for a good second, but he was steadily leaning/falling into the end zone. In that spot, the player should have tossed the ball to one of his teammates standing at the 3 yard line.

Could have and should have been called a touchback.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
LSU's play was on first and goal. They got a 15 yard penalty to make it still 1st and goal but backed up 15 more yards.

Our play was 1st and 10 and we got 24 yards to make the first
down. Then we got backed up 15 on a dead ball foul. So we backed it up 15 yards but since first and goal had not been established on the prior play its only 1st and 10 but from 15 yards back from where the last play ended.

Does that help?

Think of it as you would a punt return or kick off return that had a penalty on the receiving team. They get backed up the yardage but its still 1st and 10.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.