Question: Dual Threat QB (Blake Sims) throws 45 times

TideHiFlyer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2012
A, A
Guys,
I was shaking my head last night as to why Kiff effectively tried to make Blake into a NFL QB last night with 45 passing attempts. Forget the completion percentage. I wonder why Kiff goes away from the dual threat effectiveness of Blake and opts to throw the ball as much as he did. Did he anyone hear anything as to why? Kenyon tweeted shortly after the first quarter "RUN THE BALL"....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Dual Threat QB throws 45 times

The title of the thread threw me off... I was thinking about someone else.. you could've said" Blake Sims and Kiffin Playcalling or something...

IT was Kiffin. I think ten of the plays were a fade route since it was one on one matchup. The throws were either over thrown, or Cooper dropped it. If we had timed it right, IT would've been real good. I don't think it has to do with NFL or anything like that. IT was the matchup Kiffin liked and wanted to take advantage of. Everyone kept saying run the ball, but everyone failed to realize that there was 5,6,7,8 people in the box, so running the ball there would be hard to do so, as it proved throughout the game. We were trying to loose up the box so we can move. Sims struggled because he made lot of mistakes that he shouldnt' be making, but he did anyway. THe team wasn't " there" as far as the energy is concerned.. but they showed up in the final drive and in OT.

Guys,
I was shaking my head last night as to why Kiff effectively tried to make Blake into a NFL QB last night with 45 passing attempts. Forget the completion percentage. I wonder why Kiff goes away from the dual threat effectiveness of Blake and opts to throw the ball as much as he did. Did he anyone hear anything as to why? Kenyon tweeted shortly after the first quarter "RUN THE BALL"....

Tidefan1

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2013

The title of the thread threw me off... I was thinking about someone else.. you could've said" Blake Sims and Kiffin Playcalling or something...

IT was Kiffin. I think ten of the plays were a fade route since it was one on one matchup. The throws were either over thrown, or Cooper dropped it. If we had timed it right, IT would've been real good. I don't think it has to do with NFL or anything like that. IT was the matchup Kiffin liked and wanted to take advantage of. Everyone kept saying run the ball, but everyone failed to realize that there was 5,6,7,8 people in the box, so running the ball there would be hard to do so, as it proved throughout the game. We were trying to loose up the box so we can move. Sims struggled because he made lot of mistakes that he shouldnt' be making, but he did anyway. THe team wasn't " there" as far as the energy is concerned.. but they showed up in the final drive and in OT.
Agreed. The play calling wasn't as bad as everyone made it seem. If the officials hadn't lets the LSU db's get away with playing as physical as they did then a lot of those plays would have worked

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

For whatever reason, there continues to be an aversion to letting Sims run enough to give defenses something to think about.

TideHiFlyer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2012
A, A

Blake made em when he had to like the last drive in the 4th quarter. But he is so effective out of the boot and I wondered after having 3 of his passes blocked/tipped by the same LSU player why we didnt use Blake's feet more out of the pocket. In any case, it worked out. Roll Tide

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Guys,
We won the game, Roll Tide!

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

I don't know if you noticed, but LSU limited us on the ground on the QB zone read and our running game. Chavis dared us to throw, so we didn't have much choice. Blake had one good run, but they were ready for it. TJ was hurt (and played like it) and Henry just isn't a great inside runner.

A lot was put on Blake's shoulders and he made some bad throws, but he also made several good throws that were flat dropped. The whole team came through in the end.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

The fake screen and pass to Jones was an excellent play call. Jones looked a bit slow on that one. I think of Bama's WRs would have taken it in for 6.

TheBamaMan

All-SEC
Jul 17, 2000
Dothan, Al

Saban discussed the play calling during the halftime interview. Stated it was something he had agreed with before kickoff and LSU just basically did a very good job in coverage. So we can't put all that on Lane...

Either way, it worked perfect on the last drive and in OT.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

The fake screen and pass to Jones was an excellent play call. Jones looked a bit slow on that one. I think of Bama's WRs would have taken it in for 6.
Are you talking about the pass to Brandon Greene? That was part of the fake. It looked like Greene was the left tackle but he was an eligible receiver. No none guarded him because of that. A WR would have been covered by a defender on the line and the play wouldn't have worked as well, or not at all..

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

I don't know if you noticed, but LSU limited us on the ground on the QB zone read and our running game. Chavis dared us to throw, so we didn't have much choice. Blake had one good run, but they were ready for it. TJ was hurt (and played like it) and Henry just isn't a great inside runner.

A lot was put on Blake's shoulders and he made some bad throws, but he also made several good throws that were flat dropped. The whole team came through in the end.
Exactly! You have to attempt to take what they are giving you. Sims and White were not in the same book, much less the same page, for most of the game. Good that they got on the same page late.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Are you talking about the pass to Brandon Greene? That was part of the fake. It looked like Greene was the left tackle but he was an eligible receiver. No none guarded him because of that. A WR would have been covered by a defender on the line and the play wouldn't have worked as well, or not at all..

Since LSU was confused, his going downfield would have also been read by them as a run play. Like the barn does illegally all the time.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO

Can someone explain how this works? Is it just how they were positioned in respect to the LOS that allowed the tight end to not be considered as the LT? I thought the OL had to put their hands on the ground too. Why didn't the RT have that stance?

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA

Can someone explain how this works? Is it just how they were positioned in respect to the LOS that allowed the tight end to not be considered as the LT? I thought the OL had to put their hands on the ground too. Why didn't the RT have that stance?
The man on the end of the los is a legal reciever. It doesn't matter if he is spread out wide on in tight. Linemen don't have to put a hand down but if they do then they can't come up out of that position.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009

LSU does a great job taking the running away from mobile QBs that is why we didn't/ could't run with Sims a lot. If we had tried we would have loss yards and or gotten him hurt. But I think we should have run more after the first qtr when we saw how the refs were letting them grab the wrs.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I don't care if he throws it 145 times. We have a multiple set, pro style offense, that now has the versatility of moving playmakers all over the field. You take four of those passes Blake missed on and change them to completions and we aren't even talking about this. Most of those were just dang good defense.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
In the old days (Bear Bryant, etc.) the actual tackle could go out for the pass if he was the last player on the end, but now the player has to actually be logged as a receiver with the officials before the game. Bama had this coverred, and found a way to legalize the old tackle eligible play. IT was great timing.

Bama also beautifully executed a legal WR pick in the game on the final TD. Had the WR initiated contact or moved to block the path of the defender it would have been illegal, but the Bama players ran it perfectly so it was a clean play. Two outstanding calls that were well executed.

Last night we got to see the worst of LK and the best of LK all in one game. Some real head-scrating calls at critical times in the game, but then some genius plays at other times. Overall jury still out on Kiffin.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.